Is it too late to think about changing careers and becoming a Game Warden or Deputy Sherriff at 54 years old?

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Roksliders,

This is a long story but to keep it short I'll say I always wanted to be a Game Warden or Deputy Sherriff. When I met my wife, I was 17 and was trying to decide which career path to follow - manufacturing or law enforcement. My wife's father was in law enforcement and advised me not to get into it. I took his advice and went into manufacturing. Today I'm an Engineering Manager at an Automotive Manufacturing company. I've had a good career with good pay, raised my kids, put them through college. Then the other day a guy at work came up to me and asked me "If you had to do it all over again, would you do this?" I hesitated for a moment and thought, and then replied back "no, I should have been a Game Warden or Deputy". Now I can't stop thinking about it.

I'd be willing to go back to school to get a criminal justice degree, I can pass the physical, and I can meet the background check requirements. But let's be honest - I have grey hair and I don't have bulging muscles. Does anyone on the forum that does this kind of work have an opinion? Do I have a decent shot considering the circumstances, or should I give up on it? Please be honest. I'd be willing to relocate to any western state that holds elk to follow this dream.

You only live once! No reason to go through life unhappy when you can make a choice to change that. Maybe look into an internship or ride-along so you can experience that career first hand before making a big change.

Rokbar

WKR
Times a wasting. I would think being a deputy would be an easier way to go. More of them than wardens.

Many departments have a maximum age cut off, some don't. Obviously it is a huge career change, and at 54 you need to give it some serious thought. But, if it is really what you want, I say go for it.

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
Usually (not sure about your state) the state sets age entry limits to account for public employee retirement/pension plans. You have to typically work 20 years before the earliest eligibility age. Or get a waiver. You might have a hard time at 54 as most near that age as retirement age.

FYI, I used to be a police officer. Still in contact with guys that I used to work with. Every single one of them is considering leaving "the job"

It's a great career, but societal change is pressing in from every side.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

From an administrative point of view it would make more sense for a County Sheriff's Department to invest it's significant training $$$ into a person who is not going to be at retirement age in five minutes, and go with younger recruits instead. If I were the Sheriff, this is probably how I would think. Therefore to me the Game Warden avenue would be what I would be focusing on. Definitely would want to see what age restrictions they have as well, however. And if things are possible just make sure you skip their How-to-be-an-@$$hole training class.

amassi

WKR
Our local county mounty will hire reserve deputies outside of the age limit. You pay your own way through a post academy though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Will_m

WKR
For what’s it worth, I would say most people would say they would do something different if they could do it over again.

Human condition is attracted to the unknown and people always want to check what’s over the next ridge, so to speak.

Not LEO but not sure why in the world you would be compelled to do that at 54, unless you were craving some sort of authority.

Lawnboi

WKR
Man if you want to get out there and deal with todays public at your age..... all the power to you.

I’d be looking for a way to maximize time away from work, with my family, hunting, living life.

woods89

WKR
I'd be pondering really hard whether I was experiencing "grass is greener" syndrome if I was you. And there is no shame in that. We all deal with it to some degree.

If you have a decent career I'd stick with it. But I'm a believer that being skilled and competent at the career you have is a better path to happiness than doing what you've always dreamed of.

Best of luck!

Bobbyboe

WKR
Typical retirement as a LE is between 50 and 53. No offense but at 54 I don’t think it’s the right decision to enter the field. It’s a young mans career and there is a reason the retirement age is what it is..... I’m 35 and know for certain I won’t work a single day past 53. Not worth the stress and risk as Father Time starts taking his toll.

Oldest employee where I work is 54. He had had a double hip replacement and is a grumpy, angry, stressed out SOB.

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
I retired from Park Ranger job @ 54 after 20 years.... & glad I did. That was 10 yrs ago.
I would say a small local sheriff deputy would be preferable to GW for an older guy. The stress could be same depending on state/area.
I have older friends involved as reserve deputies and S&R/Posses.

AKBorn

WKR
At 54, starting a new career is going to seriously cut down your free time for elk hunting. You will go back to being the new guy, which means minimal leave accrual, you will draw the undesirable new guy shifts, and the less fun new guy work.

In addition, if you go the Game Warden route, their busiest time of year is hunting and fishing seasons, so you would likely be working instead of having time to hunt.

You've worked hard during your career to take care of your family and build a good life. Maybe divert your energies into how you can utilize your leave accrual and flex your work schedule to maximize your days hunting elk each year. Enjoy the fruits of your long labors.

OP
ELKhunter60

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting replies and perspectives. Thanks guys. Reserve might be a good option as some of you mention. If I stay in my current job, I can retire in 5-7 years but I'm the type of person that needs to stay active doing things worth while. Reserve might give me some flexibility while allowing me to hunt and do other things. Just trying to plan for the next phase of my life. Want to give back to the community somehow using the gifts God gave me. I can handle stress and make rational decisions with a level head without being an A hole in the process.

wesfromky

WKR
Something else you might think about - see if you can at least semi-retire - work 20 hours a week or a few months a year to pay the bills, then volunteer with some wildlife org the rest of your spare time.