Is it too late to think about changing careers and becoming a Game Warden or Deputy Sherriff at 54 years old?

bdg848

WKR
Many Departments have a maximum age at time of hire that is normally in the mid 30's. You will see a lot less of your family, work most holidays, a higher than normal chance of being murdered, 100% chance of being assaulted, and if you become a game warden you will be working all hunting season...I wouldn't regret your choices if I were you. I like being a cop but I'm in my twenties and already know I'm not doing this in my 50's unless i'm behind a desk. My plan is to hit my retirement of 20 years and then switch careers. I'll be in my early 40's at that point and could do another 20 years on a more stable, safe, family oriented career path.

bdg848

WKR
The more I think about it, the more I think you should look into being a reserve deputy...it's usually volunteer (with the possible exception of large events that they may pay you for helping) but would get you on the streets. When I worked as a jailer for the sheriff's office, the reserves would often transport prisoners, help out with bar close on Friday nights, and assist when they were short staffed. Being volunteer, you don't have to skip family events for the sake of the job, you can hunt as much as you want, and still get to serve.

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
Look on the bright side, you may not become a cop at this point, but you could get a nice settlement in an age discrimination lawsuit and retire from your other job.

I know one job that will absolutely take you...... federal bureau of prisons.... they are always hurting for willing ppl

*zap*

WKR
Fill out an application, the so here is having trouble getting applicants that can pass the background check, I think well over 50% fail that check.

If I were in your shoes there is a 100% chance I would not get into law enforcement. I’m a LEO and love what I do, but I am seriously looking into another career.

Ultimately, for me it comes down to the fact that the justice system as a whole is broken and not getting better. There is only so many more times I will put myself in harms way to arrest someone for crimes and/or warrants, only to see them released from jail with a future court date a couple hours later.

It’s a noble profession, it’s not same career now as when I started.

I have a DOW buddy. He keeps a sleeping bag in his truck during hunting season. It is a time consuming job to say the least. He is usually alone with sketchy radios in most situations he handles. Many a story of things that had the potentiall of getting a little western. It is not unusual for him to do hundreds on road miles to hike in 5 in and out in a day. This is not always at 2pm in the afternoon but rather 2 in the morning. I am ten years your junior and know I could not do it day in and out. Deputy you would start most likely nights and weekends. The glamor would fade rather quickly.

I'm 54, third generation law enforcement... ruined my back at 26 years old doing the job, screwed out of my retirement. I have two sons and I hope they don't go into law enforcement.... I work in 911 communications now, just had three officers in the neighboring jurisdiction get shot...

Yeah, honestly you are too old, the Academy is no joke and people don't think like us anymore. Find another way of serving your community there are many... good luck to you Sir

87TT

WKR
Yes. Too old.
Absolutely true.
You could maybe get hired but for what? Broken body? I can tell you for absolute certain that you won't bounce back from a fight or injury like a 25 year old. Now days you can be absolutely in the right in protecting yourself or others and get fried by the media and falsely criminally charged and your family put through hell for what?

gibbons025

Lil-Rokslider
I am 40 , I have a degree in Criminal Justice. I got into law enforcement as a dispatcher when I was 18 and then became a full time deputy when I turned 21. I stayed full time until 2012 when I just got tired of the politics and found a Monday through Friday job out of it. Now I still work part time law enforcement as a deputy and enjoy it but it would be very hard for me to want to go back full time. Here in Oklahoma the pay sucks for the hours you work and a lot of the small departments don’t have the best gear. I’d really consider getting on as a part time or as a reserve deputy or officer and staying at your full time job. Being in law enforcement can be very rewarding and then challenging all at the same time. Good luck in your adventures and if you get on follow what your FTO says lol.

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
Career LEO here as well.
Whether or not you are physically capable is something only you know.
The cutoff for almost all federal LEO jobs is 37.
This is possibly the worst time in history to come into the profession. Morale is the lowest I’ve ever seen. But only you know how important this is to your “bucket list.”
The reserve deputy idea is the best answer. You’ll get the training and get to experience the job, but you’ll enjoy the ability to control how far down the rabbit hole you take it.
Try to talk to some guys in your local department. That will be your best source of guidance for moving forward.

JDB9818

WKR
I’m 54 and I have been in LE for 26 years.

NO WAY IN HELL I recommend that anyone get into the business now. I’ve done well for my family and I have done some pretty cool things during that time, but like you, if I had to do it over again I wouldn’t have been a cop. It might get better again in time, but I don’t know why anyone would want to get in the business now.

Like others have said, I’m thinking about crossing the finish line to get to retirement where I can start doing more of what I want.

Best of luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
It would be rough at 54. Most guys move on from patrol long before then. It sounds fun, but you would probably be working nights, so you would deal with drunks who spit covid in your face, fight you, piss while you are cuffing them, and poop and puke in your car. You would finish that night by you cleaning the car, doing paperwork until 5am, getting off at 6, and going to court at 830. After waiting until lunch to testify, you would maybe sleep for 2 hours or have dinner with your wife before going back on patrol. It doesn't make it any easier when protestors throw rocks at you, politicians talk about defunding the police, defense attorneys twist every word you say, the public scrutinizes the hell out of you, and laws are passed stripping you of immunity. That is not something I would leave a successful career for in my mid 50s. I would much rather retire at 60 and take up woodworking than spend my nights getting punched in the face by methed out kids who are a third my age.

AZmark

WKR
Personally I think a guy would have to be crazy to want to be in law enforcement in this day and age..........That said though it takes a special kind of person to do that job and thankfully there are those out there that will take it on. My son is a police officer for a larger city now for 13 yrs, he's one of those special guys, but it is tiring him and now wife and I are happy that he is into detective work and off the street.
I think 54 is a little old for that but if you get into a small town or rural area it may be ok.

HookUp

WKR
Cops are generally not happy. They deal with negative situations constantly. Game wardens work hunting seasons and most weekends swing shift. If you care about life balance and time off I suggest you focus on buying a rental and retiring early.