Is it worth it

So I have been debating applying in Wyoming and Arizona for points for archery mule deer. Since I have never applied in Arizona I wonder if its even worth it to accumulate points for mule deer there. Same with Wyoming since the herd is in such a decline right now.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance. Branden

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I applied for both if that helps you. If you want to hunt north of the ditch in AZ, then it might be debatable on worth, but there are other opportunities, especially for archers. Wyoming's down now, but probably won't stay that way. Also depends on the minimum buck you'd be happy with. If it's a 170 archery buck, don't rule out Wy and 1-2 points will get you great high country areas. If you need to have a 190, buck then maybe not such a good place.

In my opinion...no state is not worth acquiring points. Every state has THOSE units and if you don't start getting points you will one day want to hunt them and be behind things possibly YEARS. If the budget allows...get them started.

If you are going to buy a deer point in Arizona you are going to spend a $151.25 for your hunting license and & $7.50 for your deer point. You might as well buy a point for $7.50 each for antelope, elk, and sheep. This allows you to make a better investment in future hunts. This year you have missed the deadline for elk and antelope but it is a thought for the future.

For Wyoming a deer point will cost you $35.

If I were you I would be getting points for Arizona. You should be able to draw the Kaibab archery tag (12A,12B) just about every other year. If you are willing to put in some time scouting you will have a great hunt down south. If I did not have 13 points for Arizona deer I would be hunting the kaibab archery hunt evry other year!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robert Hanneman is right about Az on the archery, I was referring to the rifle hunts north of the ditch, but archery could be drawn every few years. Glad you clarified.

GrayGhost

FNG
Robby do you do hunt in AZ? What kind of success have you had there? If so, can you elaborate on the style of hunting and the Terrain you hunt there?