Is Jan OTC solo Arizona Archery Coues right for me?

Joe5000

FNG
Thinking of doing an OTC Arizona archery coues hunt in Jan. I am relatively new to archery hunting and this would be my first western solo hunt (archery or otherwise). I would prob target central part of state. I would be solo.

I realize this is a low success hunt. I think I would enjoy just being able to see some deer/new country..

Reason for my post...from a "safety" perspective is this a dumb idea? Meaning border problems, being solo in rough terrain etc. I thankfully younger and in good health but I will admit I am newer to hunting and my outdoor skils could be alot sharper.

Any input on whether this is a good or bad idea would be greatly appreciated. I am also flexible on unit/part of state if there is somewhere to go that is less remote etc. I am imagining most of the BLM land being out of cell range.

I think you'll be fine, in fact it's probably a great idea for a first western hunt. I've done 2 solo hunts in Jan down there and it's not as bad as you might think. If you're targeting mid-state there are no border issues. Most of the biting critters are dormant and you'll have a great opportunity to sit and glass up some deer. Just don't sit on a prickly pear or put your hand out to brace yourself on a saguaro. ;)

jspradley

WKR
You most likely won't die. One of those GPS beacons that let you send simple messages might go far in easing your mind.

I'd love to do a solo Coues hunt, just sitting glassing by myself sounds amazing. Might have to put that into the 2021 plans!

If you do manage to kill one then the packout wont be too tough!

OP
J

Joe5000

FNG
Given my concerns is central AZ the best area of the state to target? Thanks for responses

Fitzwho

WKR
If you are worried to the point you think you’ll be paranoid about drug trafficking, etc. just pick a unit north of I-10. I’ve hunted solo for Coues twice. Once in the Superstitions and again in the Chiricahua Mts (29). Didn’t have any issues either time. Admittedly I was only in 29 for a total of 14 hours before killing my deer. Pick up a Javelina tag while you’re at it.

I don’t archery hunt, but I’m taking a buddy on his first western hunt in January in AZ. I’ll be more central-ish because he wants to target Mule Deer. I’m just going to glass and spit for him. Might pick up a Mt Lion tag and shoot some quail too.

No drug traffic problems in central az at all. If you’re doing spot and stalk get some good glass and glass off a tripod. Coues are hard to find in the broken az terrain so a tripod is a must. It’s hard to explain but some of the country is tougher to navigate than say Utah Wyoming or other states I’ve hunted. It’s like hiking in a rock pile with grass on top. Good luck.

Given my concerns is central AZ the best area of the state to target? Thanks for responses
There really isn't any cause for concern. Like Fitzwho stated if you stay north of I10 you won't see any "aliens". You can even truck camp if you want, there are a lot of roads on Federal land that you can drive on and see/hunt deer. It isn't just Coues, there are mulies also. Bring a shotgun, there are a lot of quail to shoot at.

Considering your concerns, I would suggest hunting Units 37A or 37B.

Easy access, lots of deer.

Send me a PM and I'll get you situated.

I'll be in 37B most of January and maybe we can link up and I'll show you around.

I've only done it once, but finding water makes it tough to take a poke at a backcountry jaunt, so I just truck camped. It was a lot of fun until I came down with the flu. I'll be down by Tuscon late December this year.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
Unit 22 and 23 are central and have zero trafficking issues, lots of deer, and lots of access. Come on out and get your ass kicked. Bring good optics and a tripod and you will find deer.

OP
J

Joe5000

FNG
Also its correct to believe only archery is OTC? There are no rifle otc units in AZ (and the draw for them is over)?

Also its correct to believe only archery is OTC? There are no rifle otc units in AZ (and the draw for them is over)?
The only OTC for deer is archery (which is also the only decent big game OTC in the state). There are no other OTC hunts (rifle or black powder) and the draw already ended. There were a few leftover tags but they are long gone this year.

Mike 338

WKR
Az is a great State to hunt. You'll see things. Probably not Coues in central Az but still a good time. A GPS is highly recommended. Back in the day, I've been good and "turned around". Az has tiny dirt roads dry washes everywhere in the sticks. After a while, you can't tell one from another. First thing you know, your headed back to camp on the wrong road or wash and it's getting dark. Rain and fog can sock you in and you think your headed North and your actually going South. A paper map and cheap compass is a good plan too. Saved me once. I've had 2 GPS's fail on me and the one I use now has gone wonky for short periods. Also seen hunters in trucks at night, driving and honking their horns, trying to locate a friend who never made it back to camp at night. Just say'in.

Mike 338

WKR
The only OTC for deer is archery (which is also the only decent big game OTC in the state). There are no other OTC hunts (rifle or black powder) and the draw already ended. There were a few leftover tags but they are long gone this year.

Can you still hunt javalina OTC? IMO, they're the best game hands down to archery hunt.