Is Leupold Mark 5 HD 7-35x56 too much for hunting?

ChiefO

FNG
I have access to a good deal on a Leupold Mark 5HD 7-35x56mm. I was initially looking to buy the 5-25x56 before I came across this deal but after research I see several recommendations to go for the 3-18 version for a hunting scenario. To clarify this is going on a primarily long range hunting rig for out west. It’s a GA Precision built Remington 700 in .300 WM with a 3B contour 24” barrel in a Manners EH1A. To say the least it’s not a lightweight mountain rifle from the get go but weight wasn’t a primary factor in the initial purchase decision. I guess my only concern is whether I will encounter close quarters scenarios that could present a challenge at 7 power. I have other lightweight setups for hunting tight timber and can carry them when that is the plan but I also know how Murphy shows up at inopportune times..lol. Just curious what others have experienced. Thanks!!

Antares

WKR
I would certainly want more bottom end than 7x and 35x is about twice as much top end as I think you need on a hunting rig, but that's just me.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
I think you'd be really limited on the low end. Not just that the minimum is 7 power, but being a FFP, that the reticle is so thin turned all the way down.

I have the 3.8-18 Mk 5 with Tremor 3 reticle. Turned all the way down to lowest power, the reticle is so thin its almost unusable unless you have really good light. Realistically, I need to crank it up to 6-7 to reliably see the reticle where I live and hunt (rainforests).

Maybe there's a better reticle option that makes 7 power usable, but I would vote no on the 7-35.

Hope that helps.

OP
C

ChiefO

FNG
The reticle on the scope in question is the TMR but not sure that it makes a difference in regards to issues at low power.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
The reticle on the scope in question is the TMR but not sure that it makes a difference in regards to issues at low power.
Yeah, don't know if the TMR reticle would be any different. Probably best to get your hands on one, try it out against a darker background.

My ideal would be Tremor 3, but with some way to taper the reticle thickness....at least that way I'd have a good idea where center is. Or a bright illuminated dot. Mine is illuminated, but being FFP, the illumination is not really visible on low power unless its really dark out.