Is Lighter Better?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll add a few jumbled opinions...

1. Body weight - IF you are a little overweight then it should go unsaid that getting fitter or losing a little weight should be something you consider. BUT, your bodyweight doesn't change the weight your body is carrying in gear! So saying "drop a few pounds" to diminish the importance of gear weight is a fallacy. Both are important, and if you're already at optimum bodyweight then gear weight is MORE important.

2. What most people look for in a backpack hunting pack:
  1. Comfort & Durability at 100+ lb packout loads (can't break, can't cause misery)
  2. Features - pockets, colors, organization, waterproof, etc, etc
  3. Specs - weight, volume, etc
  4. IF two packs offer the same volume, and similar comfort and durability for heavy loads, and acceptable features for your style, THEN THE LIGHTER PACK WINS.
3. People like what they have. There is a strong confirmation bias in this industry unfortunately. Unless you have tried every manufacturers pack, under very taxing conditions, and for a lot of time, AND you had it fitted to you by someone who really knows that manufacturers system, then you really don't know whose is best for you. "Works for me" is more correct than "Best there is", while keeping an open mind.

4. Different ways to look at weight.
  1. Time Weight - gear that is worn all the time is more important in cutting weight than gear that stays at camp.
  2. Percentage Weight - How much of your total weight is each gear item? It's easier to cut two lbs off a 5 lb sleeping bag than to cut 2 lbs off a bunch of 3 oz items.
  3. Cost to Cut - most people in this space easily justify spending about $10 / oz of weight savings, IF function is the same or better. Much more than that and it starts getting pricey fast.

I love my old 3# Kifaru Ultralight pack that is 8 years old. I still use it as my main dayhunting pack. I’ve done 14 day backpack sheep hunts and packed out my Stone ram in it, and it wasn’t near as good for that use. In fact it was dang uncomfortable above 40 or 50#s.

I bought a Kifaru Reckoning for backpack hunting that is about 5#s heavier fully equipped with the guide lid, water bottle pocket and two belt pockets. It packs light or heavy loads as well as I can carry them, without major pack induced pain. That said, I prefer the lighter ultralight pack for dayhunts where it is practical. Good luck!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Luckily at this point in time there really isnt any need to compromise as there are several options for lightweight and durable packs (SG, SO) and bombproof packs for those who aren't concerned with weight.

I own a kifaru pack with all the pockets and a lid etc and yes it carries really well but it is over 10lbs empty and dosen't have a meat shelf so its just not going to end up being my sheep hunting pack (although it was last year)I've found my Stone Glacier x curve to fit just as well and be just as comfortable even with weight in it so I have less of a reason to use the Kifaru. The modularity of the Kifaru packs is a blessing and a curse, its nice to be able to accessorize but its easy to over accesorize and convince yourself you need more pockets etc.

Lately I've been tempted to sell my fulcrum bag and all my pockets and get me a Muskeg 7k and x pack guide lid and see how I like it. The major drawback is that I really like the center zip of the fulcrum on a big pack like that...So it makes even more sense to sell the Kifaru all together and get a bigger SG bag for when I really need to carry a lot of stuff.

boom

WKR
for me..especially with a daypack. comfort trumps lightweight..

not just comfort on my back. comfort when i am sitting on the pack because the sharp shale and cacti wont let me sit on the ground. i give up 2 lbs for this.

Lawnboi

WKR
Which do you like better?

I reach for the kifaru more often. I haven’t owned the SO all but a year now.

Both are good packs though.

If I had to save weight I’d likely grab the SO. All my hunts this year were day hunt type and with multiple tags. My wife used the peregrine though and she liked it.

Very different style packs. You can see the difference in company philosophy in them. Both are equally well made, from companies Iv had great interactions with.... they are just different.

Youngbuck86

Lil-Rokslider
There's hunts where the weight is worth it and hunts when it isn't. All things equal, I'd rather have an extra quart of water than 2 useless pounds. That being said I could probably tow 10k on a single axel trailer, but the extra weight of a well build double axel trailer is worth it, if you need it. A Barney's pack weighs more than my Kuiu, but is also better suited to carry heavier weight.

OP
trophyhill
I'll add a few jumbled opinions...

1. Body weight - IF you are a little overweight then it should go unsaid that getting fitter or losing a little weight should be something you consider. BUT, your bodyweight doesn't change the weight your body is carrying in gear! So saying "drop a few pounds" to diminish the importance of gear weight is a fallacy. Both are important, and if you're already at optimum bodyweight then gear weight is MORE important.

2. What most people look for in a backpack hunting pack:
  1. Comfort & Durability at 100+ lb packout loads (can't break, can't cause misery)
  2. Features - pockets, colors, organization, waterproof, etc, etc
  3. Specs - weight, volume, etc
  4. IF two packs offer the same volume, and similar comfort and durability for heavy loads, and acceptable features for your style, THEN THE LIGHTER PACK WINS.
3. People like what they have. There is a strong confirmation bias in this industry unfortunately. Unless you have tried every manufacturers pack, under very taxing conditions, and for a lot of time, AND you had it fitted to you by someone who really knows that manufacturers system, then you really don't know whose is best for you. "Works for me" is more correct than "Best there is", while keeping an open mind.

4. Different ways to look at weight.
  1. Time Weight - gear that is worn all the time is more important in cutting weight than gear that stays at camp.
  2. Percentage Weight - How much of your total weight is each gear item? It's easier to cut two lbs off a 5 lb sleeping bag than to cut 2 lbs off a bunch of 3 oz items.
  3. Cost to Cut - most people in this space easily justify spending about $10 / oz of weight savings, IF function is the same or better. Much more than that and it starts getting pricey fast.

Some great points for certain!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
fad7e32ebbe8cbd2879b969019b461d1.jpg

OP
trophyhill
There's hunts where the weight is worth it and hunts when it isn't. All things equal, I'd rather have an extra quart of water than 2 useless pounds. That being said I could probably tow 10k on a single axel trailer, but the extra weight of a well build double axel trailer is worth it, if you need it. A Barney's pack weighs more than my Kuiu, but is also better suited to carry heavier weight.

I'm in it for a "1 pack fits all" situations. Ifin ya know what I mean ;)

OP
trophyhill
For those who know the Kifaru frames, what's the difference in the duplex ultralight and the bikini frame?