Is Morels?

TRD1911

WKR
My son and I were out setting up some trail cameras tonight when we came across these. First time picker here but some google images seem to confirm that these are morels. Any mushroom experts on here?

Western Washington
Aprox. 800ft above sea level

Attachments

• 20220513_155318.jpg
    20220513_155318.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 20220513_180233.jpg
    20220513_180233.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 184
  • 20220513_180417.jpg
    20220513_180417.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 182

fmyth

WKR
No expert but I've been hunting morels since I was old enough to walk. Those look like morels to me. I'd soak them in salt water, lay them to dry, dip in an egg wash and then flour and fry them up. I also love to cook them with a roast.

fmyth

WKR
I found these last week in Missouri. We fried them up and ate them with our dinner and we are all still alive.

Attachments

• 20220506_182307.jpg
    20220506_182307.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 98
OP
TRD1911

TRD1911

WKR
Is there a ratio of salt to water that you recommend? Is this to kill larvae/bacteria on them or just for flavor?

I was thinking about dehydrating them; do they need to be soaked in salt water first? Like I said, new guy to this, ha!

Thanks for all the feedback guys

Oregonboy

WKR
Those are morels. Don’t soak them in water. Clean them with a dry brush if you even need to, then just cook them however you’d like, I’d recommend butter, garlic and cast iron.

Soaking in water is unnecessary and will reduce quality and flavor.

OP
TRD1911

TRD1911

WKR
Yeah found a couple critters while cutting them open. Salt bath for sure. My son is itching to try them but i'm going to be the lab rat. Although I trust the folks on here I'd rather sort it out first. I did a test run with a pan fry in butter on half of one. Told him if Im still around in the morning he can have them some for breakfast, ha! Thanks for all the input.

fmyth

WKR
Those are morels. Don’t soak them in water. Clean them with a dry brush if you even need to, then just cook them however you’d like, I’d recommend butter, garlic and cast iron.

Soaking in water is unnecessary and will reduce quality and flavor.
You must not have the same bugs we have here in MO. I had to change the water twice to get all of the tiny bugs out of my shrooms. I've soaked in both tap water and tap water with salt and can't tell difference in the flavor.

One of my favorite ways to eat morels is to dehydrate them then put them in a soup. They get so savory that it's almost like beef broth

Oregonboy

WKR
You must not have the same bugs we have here in MO. I had to change the water twice to get all of the tiny bugs out of my shrooms. I've soaked in both tap water and tap water with salt and can't tell difference in the flavor.
I haven’t had the bug issue. I’ve found an earwig or two but that’s about it. Never enough to need to soak them out. Any time I travelled to the Midwest the bugs did seem more intense than back home, perhaps they are different.

xcutter

WKR
My son and I were out setting up some trail cameras tonight when we came across these. First time picker here but some google images seem to confirm that these are morels. Any mushroom experts on here?

Western Washington
Aprox. 800ft above sea level
Morels for sure. In Indiana myself and family would call these Black Morels. Not sure if that is the correct name or not. Seems like the Black Morels always come up first around home.

bsnedeker

WKR
Lucky find! The false morels aren’t hollow all the way through like real ones is what I was told. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in there.

There is a type of false morel called a "deadly false morel" that are hollow...however, they only vaguely resemble real morels so pretty hard to mess that one up. I found a grip of them this weekend and looked them up. Glad I did...as you can tell from the name they are SUPER poisonous!