Is Mule Deer Hunting the Pinnacle of Western Hunting?

BaseMap

Attachments

• Basemap_adv130_IGv1.jpg
    Basemap_adv130_IGv1.jpg
    829.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
I am passionate about both elk and mule deer and no other species even come close. As mentioned above, a bull elk screaming at you inside of 20 yards just does something that I can't explain so the edge for me goes to elk.

I have been lucky enough to take a mule deer well over 200" along with several other trophy class bucks. They are an amazing animal to pursue.

Wolfmann

FNG
Elk hunting is awesome, but there is something about mule deer. They have my vote.

npm352

WKR
I'd say mountain lion. They outsmart all the species game being debated.

I am biased, however.

Huntnnw

WKR
I could say they equally both are and both have their times. Nothing better than a cool sept day with bulls screaming and on the flip side nothing like watching muley bucks in November chasing does

TheGDog

WKR
I will say there is something to be said for there ability to remain unseen in areas of high pressure. And ya have to admire their ability to haul a## like it's nothing over some of the gnarliest terrain possible.

Mule deer are not the smartest animals I have ever hunted.....I would hardly call them a pinnacle of anything. lol

They are a "Western Icon" in my opinion and they will always have a place in my heart. But I dont place them at the top.....

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
LOL!

I think it comes down to whatever floats yer boat.

Western Icon is a great way to put it.

Got my first in 2019 and had a great time hunting them. A little location, location, location and some patience goes a long ways.