Is Mule Deer Hunting the Pinnacle of Western Hunting?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What's this Mule Deer you speak of? ;) I see a big buck and I'm like "aaa", then I hear a bugle or see a big bull and I'm like "Oh YA.....that's what I'm talking about". But don't take it personally........if elk didn't bugle, I'd be bored with them as well.

squirrel

WKR
Mule deer are dumb, big mule deer are dumb and rare, just cause they are rare does no make them smart, just rare. Quit killing them all and there will be lots of them... and they will still be dumb. AND THEY TASTE LIKE SHIT!

huntnful

WKR
Mule deer are dumb, big mule deer are dumb and rare, just cause they are rare does no make them smart, just rare. Quit killing them all and there will be lots of them... and they will still be dumb. AND THEY TASTE LIKE SHIT!
Take it back!!! :ROFLMAO: They definitely don't taste near as good as a young elk though lol.

Elk tell you where they live and are the size of pickup truck and don't even blend into their surroundings. You can glass those dopes from 5 miles away. Mule deer are sleek and grey. They blend into everything and actually have a purposeful bedding area and routine. Bulls just lay on the side of the hill in some timber wherever they get tired. Glassing a bedded buck up in the rocky cliffs staring out over the landscape is far more rewarding. Just stating facts instead of opinions here. :sneaky: hahahaha

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If it comes running TO you screaming, then it ain’t no pinnacle of hunting.
If it just lays their silent, waiting and expecting me to go crawl after it, then it certainly isn't my pinnacle of hunting. Mano a mano (so to speak).......both parties meeting in the middle at close range and bringing what they got to determine the outcome. That's where it's at.....at least for my pinnacle. In 2018 I chased the same herd bull for two weeks and got within 30 yards five different times without a single open shot opportunity. The last day he was screaming and slobbering and I was screaming and slobbering and unknowingly we both ran in on each other at the same time, and met as we came around the same large evergreen. If I'd only gone left instead of right. Pinnacle or not.......there is no way ANY mule deer can provide that much fun and adrenalin rush to my life........even if he was the world record.

I'm Not sure about other States but in Colorado, there is the fact that most Elk are descendents of human transplant efforts via Wyoming and Montana due to overhunting in the 19th and early 20th Centuries. Mule Deer, to my knowledge, have never had to be transplanted to prop up or save the population. So anytime you see a Mule Deer you know that it and it's ancestors are 100% native.* That to me could add to the Mule Deer's status as a Western Icon and true Survivor.

*I did no research on the above statement.

Deadfall

WKR
Depends on how you comparing. Old mature Mule deer offers different challenges then Old mature elk. Both are usually not to vocal. Both will challenge beyond reason.

Old buck compared to young bull...buck
Old bull compared to young buck....Bull
Old vs. Old....Draw