Is my best option the Outdoorsman's Compact?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I'm gonna be honest here - I'd never buy a tripod or head from Outdoorsmans. They are ridiculously overpriced. I do use their bino adapter and mount, but that's it. I've been a photographer for over 30 years and there are so many great choices for tripods at half (or less) the cost of the Outdoorsman's stuff that I just think it's silly what people pay for their gear. But it's their money.

RRS and Gitzo are overpriced too, but you see a lot of pros using them for good reason. They last.

For what you're trying to do, there are literally dozens of options and the suggestion you add a weight bag or use a weight hook to stabilize the tripod is spot-on.
I have tripods from all three companies mentioned above. You are right one is ridiculous overprices but it's not outdoorsmans.

@Brightwhite I think you will find the Two Vets quite a bit more stable than the two little Sliks.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
There are always trade off. I want to just run one set up this year from my binoculars to BTX to rifle. This is going to be it. I can’t hunt without a center column.

Attachments

• 3BEAE4A1-9B6F-404E-83BA-AABC01BC37D1.jpeg
    3BEAE4A1-9B6F-404E-83BA-AABC01BC37D1.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 177
I have tripods from all three companies mentioned above. You are right one is ridiculous overprices but it's not outdoorsmans.

@Brightwhite I think you will find the Two Vets quite a bit more stable than the two little Sliks.
Okay then, two of them are ridiculously overpriced. ;) And both of them target specific markets that are sympathetic to that attention, so they get those prices.

RRS has targeted high-end photographers for decades, primarily with hard to find accessories. Seems these days, people have enough disposable income that RRS finally branched out into full blown tripods, ballheads, etc. Gitzo needs no introduction in the photography and video world. Probably 90% of the Nat Geo images we all grew up seeing were made using a Gitzo tripod if one was used.

Last edited:
OP
B
There are always trade off. I want to just run one set up this year from my binoculars to BTX to rifle. This is going to be it. I can’t hunt without a center column.
Thanks Ryan. I can't see the weight on your scale there, what's that setup weigh with the Anvil-30 head? That is the head in that picture right?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
It’s and anvil.

Haha! I didn’t even notice on the scale picture. It’s 3.6 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
I’m definitely in the “overpriced” range with no regrets. I too must have a center column and I need a regular pan head (dislike ball heads for glassing) so it’s the RRS Ascend with an OD fluid head. I’ve tried cheaper heads but after breaking down and buying the OD fluid there isn’t anything in my mind that is better overall for a glassing hunter with big BTX class glass. My light setup is an early green 1st Gen OD medium with an OD pan head. I’ve tried several and sold all of the carbons in the OD size and weight class and stuck with the OD medium. It’s more stable.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I’m definitely in the “overpriced” range with no regrets. I too must have a center column and I need a regular pan head (dislike ball heads for glassing) so it’s the RRS Ascend with an OD fluid head. I’ve tried cheaper heads but after breaking down and buying the OD fluid there isn’t anything in my mind that is better overall for a glassing hunter with big BTX class glass. My light setup is an early green 1st Gen OD medium with an OD pan head. I’ve tried several and sold all of the carbons in the OD size and weight class and stuck with the OD medium. It’s more stable.
Have you shot off that head?

BBob

WKR
Have you shot off that head?
I have not yet. I recently put an ARCA plate on a rifle to try it. I've simulated it in the shop but I've never actually shot off a tripod. It feels like it should be fine but until I try to actually shoot it I won't know how it'll work. With all the interest and everybody doing it I guess I better jump on the bandwagon and give it a try.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
For stability, skip everything that uses a center column to get to the hight you need. I would change your wieght range to be up to 3 lb. Take a look at the FLM CP30-S4 II. It is 2.4 pounds, no center column, extends to 53.4 inches, 44 pound load rating, 19 inches folded.

My wife has the FLM CP34-L4 II and it is extremely stable even extended out to its full hight of 68 inches. At some point I will get a CP30-S4 for shooting off of.

I can’t hunt without a center column.

I'm curious as to why and if I have been missing something? Is there a functional aspect to a center column when compared to no center column at the same hight?

BBob

WKR
I'm curious as to why and if I have been missing something? Is there a functional aspect to a center column when compared to no center column at the same hight?
I can’t hunt without a center column.
I'll let Ryan give his own answers but for me it's all about efficiency and speed. When swiveling around and moving positions I find messing with legs slow to fine adjust height. A center column (even using the Ascend short 2" or so option) is so much faster. It may not seem like much but for me I can't do without and I've tried. Glassing to us is a fun but serious competition and I'll take every advantage I can get. This past year with my new big glass and this super stable tripod combo I smoked my buddies with more finds and a couple of amazing ones. On two I found and could see what they could not. Those two resulted in stalks that never would have been had it not been for my setup.

All my friends will tell you I'm likely the pickiest guy they know so there's that. ;)

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
For stability, skip everything that uses a center column to get to the hight you need. I would change your wieght range to be up to 3 lb. Take a look at the FLM CP30-S4 II. It is 2.4 pounds, no center column, extends to 53.4 inches, 44 pound load rating, 19 inches folded.

My wife has the FLM CP34-L4 II and it is extremely stable even extended out to its full hight of 68 inches. At some point I will get a CP30-S4 for shooting off of.

The center column gives me quick adjustment without messing with the legs. I won't argue that it's easier to shoot without a column. The cool part about the Leofoto Mr. Q 284C is it comes with both options, column or no column. So you can play with it and see what you like. It's a great tripod for the price.

You notice when RRS made a hunting tripod it has a center column. :)

I haven't seen anyone with one of those Q tripods! Looks pretty sweet. Do you use the no center column adapter? I would have to make a tapered adapter for the Anvil that would drop in there if I had one.

BBob

WKR
The center column gives me quick adjustment without messing with the legs. I won't argue that it's easier to shoot without a column. The cool part about the Leofoto Mr. Q 284C is it comes with both options, column or no column. So you can play with it and see what you like. It's a great tripod for the price.

You notice when RRS made a hunting tripod it has a center column. :)
The RRS Ascend has a swappable direct mount Anvil option if you want a ballhead and no column but you’ll pay a steep price. The Leofoto looks to be a nice option.

I went with the not quite as fancy Leofoto LS-365C and made a little adapter to keep my RRS Anvil-30 from rotating. I tried one of the leofoto compact leveling base tripods(LS-325CEX), but it wouldn't hold a rifle snugged all the way down. It was compact, I'll give it that.

OP
B
I got the Two Vets No Name Jr in. Its significantly more solid than my Slik 634 as you guys all said it would be. I am sure its a country mile from a Really Right Stuff, but for me, I think its really nice.

The center column is a little funky where if you want to run it it threads into the top of the tripod and makes it about 27-28" tall, versus sliding down in-between the legs. Guessing thats a cost deal though.

The Leofoto one looks nice too. I am thinking about renting that one and the RRS Ascend from the rentoutdoorgear.com place to have them side by side before dropping $600-$1200 on a tripod. Might be a good way to look at them both.

Well dammit @Ryan Avery I found one of those Mr Q tripods and had to see what all the fuss was about. I just got done making a small aluminum base to fit my Anvil. This is gonna be the closest thing to an RRS Ascend for the half the money a guy can get. 16282937282966133418614976963581.jpg
1628293870745110348434517736296.jpg

Seeknelk

WKR
If you wanted a tripod for a very specific application:
- The most STABLE
- 2lb or less range (ruling out all the bigger RRS and photography models)
- Backpack friendly (packable size)

Does that make the Outdoorsman's Compact the winner?

I already own a Slik 634 and 624, and looking to improve on the shakiness with my 65mm spotter more than those when zoomed in at 50-60x and trying to judge and sex goats in the wind.

Is there anyone else I am missing that I need to look at that meet the criteria above?
Using my manfrotto carbon bee free along side my cousins outdoorsman's compact medium, with outdoorsman's pan head. In high wind in the Missouri breaks.
His set up was rock solid...with no added weight, mine had slight shake that was maddening.
So the outdoorsmans might be steep, but they certainly do an awesome job. I could not get the tiny shakes out of mine, with weight or anything...just machining quality differences I suppose.
Just some side by side, in the field experience here.

MT_Wyatt

WKR

Ryan after using this one for a “do all” would you still recommend it? Sorry to bump an old thread but not much out there on the Mr Q.

Ryan after using this one for a “do all” would you still recommend it? Sorry to bump an old thread but not much out there on the Mr Q.
I ended up with a LQ-324 for both shooting off of and spotting and I don't mind using the RRS Anvil-30 to glass without the center column. And it is awesome to shoot off of.