Is my scope too close to my rail?

Shrek

WKR
If you can get an index card between the scope and rifle you’re fine. Only issue I’ve run into is grass and small twigs getting wedged into the gap and causing a problem. Just look and make sure the gap is clear after brush busting or anytime you drag the rifle through anything.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
No, no release agent on rail. I just put RA on the screws. That would be nice to just drop it off assuming it would be a cheap fix. I'll think about that. Thanks!
Did you put release agent on the action?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
So you used epoxy to attach a rail to your rifle without actually putting it all together first to make sure it would fit the way you wanted it to???

Hey All, first time bedding a rail and wanted to get your opinion: is my scope too close to my rail? The gap between is very small (to get proper eye relief). The gap is about 2mm.

If it’s an issue. Can i just take this rail off with a heat gun and throw a shorter one on there?

Thanks,
Willis Sontheimer

Yes, the scope bell is too close to the rail.

All you need to do is cut off the first pic slot and you'll have plenty of clearance. I don't think I own a pic rail that doesn't have the first slot or two removed.

As mentioned, a Dremel with a little cut wheel can do it clean in under a minute. Then just bastard file a bit. Buying blued stuff will eventually cause to buy black matte stuff.

Hope this helps!

IMG_7509.jpg

And if you actually glued your rail to the receiver top... you can still cut the pic rail end and call it good. No need to remove the rail.

SDHNTR

WKR
Guess I’m ignorant here, but why would one glue the rail to the receiver in the first place? Don’t trust the screws?

Stuff happens...

No harm done cuz someday can remove the scope and barreled action without harming anything...just heat up the receiver around the glue bond till the rail falls off.

Not my thing but people do weld and glue bases to receivers, glue actions to stocks....

Guess I’m ignorant here, but why would one glue the rail to the receiver in the first place? Don’t trust the screws?

In plain English, it is done to take care of any irregularities between the two metals, and fill those irregularities.

SDHNTR

WKR
In plain English, it is done to take care of any irregularities between the two metals, and fill those irregularities.
Seriously? Is this a real problem? Or are we solving problems that don’t exist? I know we’re good at that! I have too many guns to count and many that are precisely accurate to sub 1/2 moa. Never once have I thought of gluing a scope base to the action. I’m a firm believer in 8/40 screws, but glue/epoxy? I don’t get it.

smith406

FNG
Seriously? Is this a real problem? Or are we solving problems that don’t exist? I know we’re good at that! I have too many guns to count and many that are precisely accurate to sub 1/2 moa. Never once have I thought of gluing a scope base to the action. I’m a firm believer in 8/40 screws, but glue/epoxy? I don’t get it.

Bedding base>lapping rings
Things like binding parallax happens when rings are misaligned so bedding helps that. Modern machining also solves it on some actions. I’ll bed a base if tolerance stacking requires it, but I have to agree on the glue it just to glue it is a little much.

OP
S

sont5413

Lil-Rokslider
Alright guys, do you think this is enough clearance? It looks to be about 5-6mm.

Attachments

• 8B6F105D-B7FC-41B7-A652-F1C9923CAE03.jpeg
    8B6F105D-B7FC-41B7-A652-F1C9923CAE03.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 14
  • A0577C62-EC7B-4E2C-9D49-B6FB027D2F0E.jpeg
    A0577C62-EC7B-4E2C-9D49-B6FB027D2F0E.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 14