Is my uncle out of his mind?

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
I'm getting a compound bow for the first time in about ten years. I've been tinkering with traditional and got pretty serious with it last year but for various reasons I'd like to get a compound for whitetail hunting (from the ground). We're saving for a house right now so I gotta keep it within budget. I was dead set on either a Bear Alaskan or Whitetail Legend Pro or an Elite Terrain if I could swing another $100. But my uncle happens to have a Parker GR-30 that is practically brand new, with whisker biscuit, 3 pin sight, quiver, release, six Gold Tip arrows, and a bow case. He wants $400 for everything. Guy at the bow shop said that's really high. I understand Parkers are discontinued so if I ever need parts I might be screwed. But I did shoot the bow today and think it's actually extremely nice. Probably one of the nicest bows I've looked at. So what say you? Should I just spend the extra 400 to get a brand new bow with a good warranty? Or buy the Parker for half the price and hope it'll last 4-5 years? Is my uncle crazy? Tell me what it's worth if you have an idea. I really don't want to haggle with my uncle...

Thanks in advance!

I'd get something else personally, but this old article had it at 449.95 in 2018. Compound bows do not hold value well.

OR Archer

WKR
If that’s your budget I’d look at the PSE Stinger. You can get those in a package deal for $500 new. It’s a decent bow for the price also and it’ll have a warranty with it.

I think he’s asking too much. I know you don’t want to haggle or make it weird so I’d just tell him you really want something that has available parts. If I had a nephew looking for a bow and an extra bow I’d just give it to him. I’ve spoiled my nephews with guns and nice fly rods though.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
I concur with @OR Archer. When I came back after about a 14 year lay off I picked up a Stinger 3G fully outfitted for 500'ish. Great shooting bow, very forgiving, easy to tune. Still have it as my back up.

I think he’s asking too much. I know you don’t want to haggle or make it weird so I’d just tell him you really want something that has available parts. If I had a nephew looking for a bow and an extra bow I’d just give it to him. I’ve spoiled my nephews with guns and nice fly rods though.
My nephew has one of my super black eagle and one of my browning bars he got me lol

Parker was pretty close to me, use to drive past it everyday. The parts inventory was purchased when they closed, limbs were available for a little while but I believe they are pretty well dried up now.

They were good bows, but with pretty much no parts support it could get useless pretty quick.

I'd look at some of the things others have suggested.

Check out Mission. I used to have a Mathew’s chill. After I got rid of it (stupid. Loved that bow) I replaced it with a mission zone because that’s all I felt like spending at the time. And that bow shoots every bit as well as the Chill

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
There are SO many really good used bows out there for around the same price that if it were me I would keep looking or buy a new package bow with a warranty for a little more.

lots of nicer used bow at the same price. if you reallylike the Parker then make him an offer of something a little more reasonable like $250-$300.. the accessories you mentioned are worth like $150 unless its like a tight spot quiver and BH or Axcel 3 pin. A bow without any factory support isn't worth much IMO. Once it breaks you're SOL

If you bought a hoyt, mathews, or bowtech thats 10 years old, you can still get parts for them