Is Rawlins WY the 'nicest' place to stay in Red Desert, WY?

Rackmastr

WKR
Hey All,

Looking at burning a buttload of points this year for my wife's antelope hunt. After border closures delayed our planning the past couple, we finally figured it was time to draw this year.

Looking at 61, 57, 58, 67, and up into 114.

Kinda looking at options to draw a 'high point' unit but also stay in a place thats half decent and can allow for an enjoyable hunt/getaway. We have 2 kids and going to leave them in Canada while we hunt hard for a week. Still, nice to have a comfortable place to stay, decent scenery, maybe even some fishing nearby.

Rawlins seems to be the biggest, but just thought I'd see what the comments were on the options. I do like the idea of 114 given the low tag numbers, and realize regardless of where we draw it will be a hard search finding the 'right' buck, but the secondary part of the hunt planning is just as important. For me, I'd stay on a two-track in the box of my truck, but nice to find somewhere thats enjoyable to get away for a bit with my wife so thought I'd ask comments. I've stayed in Riverton WY when we hunted 67 on a guys trip in the past, but looking at best options or spots that a guy may have overlooked or didnt cross my mind.

Any comments welcome as we roll into 2022 and the planning that goes with it!

I've stayed at Rawlins Western lodge for work. Your average older hotel but the rate was decent and the owner was friendly and id imagine hunter friendly.
Rawlins also has a wonderful gun range if you wanted to check rifles. Its a county range. Has staffed hours and is like $5 and it huge.

JFK

WKR
Just an idea but I’d look into some Airbnb’s or vrbo’s. Did that this year in Wyoming with my dad who is 76 and it was great. There probably aren’t a ton out that way but it’s worth a look. The spot we found was far nicer than any hotel and for a better price too. Had a kitchen and made for a very comfortable stay.

Jimss

WKR
I usually camp out in truck. I've stayed a number of times in blizzards in the Hampton Inns in Rawlins, Riverton, and Casper. They are similar to Hamptons across the country...pretty decent and include a breakfast.

Can’t remember what hotel but we got holed up in a “hole” there during a blizzard years ago. I even try to avoid buying gas in Rawlings after that experience.

But undoubtedly there are much better spots than we were in.

Good luck on the draw!

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
You might be able to find accommodations at the State Prison in Rawlins.
Seriously, Rawlins is a great place for guys but not a place my wife would enjoy at all. Other towns in the area would add to much driving both in the morning and again at night for me . Pretty impossible drawing those areas now. Like others have said, I wouldn’t get to excited until you have your tag in hand.

OP
Rackmastr

Rackmastr

WKR
You might be able to find accommodations at the State Prison in Rawlins.
Seriously, Rawlins is a great place for guys but not a place my wife would enjoy at all. Other towns in the area would add to much driving both in the morning and again at night for me . Pretty impossible drawing those areas now. Like others have said, I wouldn’t get to excited until you have your tag in hand.

Thanks. Wife has 14 points so quite a few options if we play it smart. I do appreciate the comments about the town though.

Thanks for all the comments so far. Gotta sit down with a map and do a bit of looking. Wife has done a late season bighorn hunt and can handle crappy small towns, but nice to know what's around at least for options.

Thanks. Wife has 14 points so quite a few options if we play it smart. I do appreciate the comments about the town though.

Thanks for all the comments so far. Gotta sit down with a map and do a bit of looking. Wife has done a late season bighorn hunt and can handle crappy small towns, but nice to know what's around at least for options.
I spent a week one afternoon in Rawlings just stopping for lunch...it ain't much on the "Luxury" and "Excitement" scale. And nobody is in a hurry for anything :) Fine for hunters but isn't a place the wife will be jumping up and down over if she wants cushy and/or fancy

I would only consider 58 or 61 if I had 14 points...and you are a sure thing even on the cheaper Type 1 tag

I would be concerned about getting the best unit for my points and then worry about where to stay....but then I would camp on BLM land myself :)

But if your burning that many points I would be getting the best hunt possible then worrying about where to stay. But their ins't a lot or luxury near the Red Desert. "Clean and Friendly" would be my requirement.

Or put in for 60 and hope you draw...it is iffy for 60 with 14 points. Last year the Special tag was 75% draw at 14 points...but it may be 75% draw at 15 points and zero % at 14 this year

OP
Rackmastr

Rackmastr

WKR
I spent a week one afternoon in Rawlings just stopping for lunch...it ain't much on the "Luxury" and "Excitement" scale. And nobody is in a hurry for anything :) Fine for hunters but isn't a place the wife will be jumping up and down over if she wants cushy and/or fancy

I would only consider 58 or 61 if I had 14 points...and you are a sure thing even on the cheaper Type 1 tag

I would be concerned about getting the best unit for my points and then worry about where to stay....but then I would camp on BLM land myself :)

But if your burning that many points I would be getting the best hunt possible then worrying about where to stay. But their ins't a lot or luxury near the Red Desert. "Clean and Friendly" would be my requirement.

Or put in for 60 and hope you draw...it is iffy for 60 with 14 points. Last year the Special tag was 75% draw at 14 points...but it may be 75% draw at 15 points and zero % at 14 this year

No doubt clean and comfy is the main priority. Cushy doesnt describe my wife at all. Haha. Just looking for decent place to stay and the odd place to eat. Appreciate the comments on 58 and 61. Definitely 2 that were up pretty high in my research. Have to see how winter goes in both units and the general area but looking forward to finally getting down there regardless!

OP
Rackmastr

Rackmastr

WKR
you just won the lotto

Haha ya, nice to make those mistakes. I thought she was 1 point less than 'max' but wasnt sure.

We had 114 on our radar due to low tag numbers and access, but the blessing/curse of that many points is a guy can over think it. Regardless just looking forward to a fun hunt!

Laramie

WKR
Just because an area takes max points doesn't mean it will always be better. My 3 book antelope came form mid tier areas. That said, the desert hunts are a blast and something every antelope hunter should experience once. I lived in Rawlins as a kid... There isn't enough money printed to make me go back but I have stayed the night on hunts a few times since. Saratoga is touristy but much nicer and many more VRBO type options. Maybe stay there a night before or after the hunt?

Sending you my thoughts on where to apply via PM.

Haha ya, nice to make those mistakes. I thought she was 1 point less than 'max' but wasnt sure.

We had 114 on our radar due to low tag numbers and access, but the blessing/curse of that many points is a guy can over think it. Regardless just looking forward to a fun hunt!
Max points I would be going Special License and put in for 60

Not 100% even with max points though

Hey All,

Looking at burning a buttload of points this year for my wife's antelope hunt. After border closures delayed our planning the past couple, we finally figured it was time to draw this year.

Looking at 61, 57, 58, 67, and up into 114.

Kinda looking at options to draw a 'high point' unit but also stay in a place thats half decent and can allow for an enjoyable hunt/getaway. We have 2 kids and going to leave them in Canada while we hunt hard for a week. Still, nice to have a comfortable place to stay, decent scenery, maybe even some fishing nearby.

Rawlins seems to be the biggest, but just thought I'd see what the comments were on the options. I do like the idea of 114 given the low tag numbers, and realize regardless of where we draw it will be a hard search finding the 'right' buck, but the secondary part of the hunt planning is just as important. For me, I'd stay on a two-track in the box of my truck, but nice to find somewhere thats enjoyable to get away for a bit with my wife so thought I'd ask comments. I've stayed in Riverton WY when we hunted 67 on a guys trip in the past, but looking at best options or spots that a guy may have overlooked or didnt cross my mind.

Any comments welcome as we roll into 2022 and the planning that goes with it!
For area 57… If by “nicest” you mean “only” then… Yes! I hate even looking at Rawlins on the drive by. Conjures memories of living in my spring bar tent one winter. -30° before wind chill 🤮. Anyway, you are there to hunt and I presume so is your wife so who cares if it’s not Jackson Hole.
Area 58 either Rock Springs (also has a Sportsman’s Warehouse) or Rawlins.
Area 114 I don’t know if you’d be near Thermopolis but that would be a decent option. Worland isn’t bad either.
Area 67 definitely Lander

Last edited: