Is September 9th early?

This year I will be in the mountains of Idaho 9/9 thru 9/16. This is earlier than I have ever gone out. Historically, trips have started on the 16th. Will there be much difference? Should I expect less bugling? Am I overthinking? Does one week make much difference? Might there be advantage week less pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gelton

WKR
Some will say earlier is better because the bulls haven't herded up yet but are still curious and know the time to breed is right around the corner. I have had good luck calling in bulls during the early season and other times it has been tough...kind of a flip of the coin if you ask me. I wouldn't hesitate to go during the period you mention though.

Two out of the last eight years my buddy and I have both been tagged out by the 10th of September. Most years one of us has killed a bull by the 10th. We hunt opening weekend until the end of season or we both tag out.

We call our bulls in. Our tactics and locations where we call can change throughout the season depending on how the elk are acting.

IdahoElk

WKR
Around me I have had good action that week, the younger bulls are looking for cows acting like herd bulls and will come to calls easier, around the 18th the herd bulls walk in and take their girls.
It seems like it will continue to be dry this year so I'm planning to be near good water sources that week.

Fullfan

WKR
Killed my bull on 9/12 last year. 82 deg at 1430 hours. Cow calling and he bugled twice, 20 min later he was dead. Get after em...

The most bugles I've heard in 1 day was Sept 7. But it's kinda funny this year we start the 16th but I was told it well be better. I sometimes think it all depends on the weather. Cold morning better elk hunting. But that is just my opinion Based on nothing. Lol

OP
elkdreamer78!
Thank you for all the terrific responses! Put my mind at ease. Praying for cool weather and a curious bull!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No matter what state i hunt, from the 8th on is when i want to be in the elk woods. Of course I like being there opening day too!