Is Taking a Cow Elk in The San Juans Ethical in the 2019 Season?

Would it be ethical for me to take a cow in the San Juans this year if the opportunity presents itself?

I understand that there is some anxiety regarding the San Juan elk population's apparent inability to rebound after a heavier management request from regional agricultural interests several years ago. Can any of you provide any information that might address my concerns? Thank you for your time.

If they didn’t want you to harvest cows they would do like they did in eagle county units 44,444,45 and make archery licenses bull only. No either sex, if they give you the either sex or cow license then they still project that the cows are harvestable.

Ultimately it comes down to your decision, you have the tag use it as you feel fit, and don’t let a bunch of internet biologists tell you how you should use your tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
Stackem up! If you want to that is. In my experience, its not always wise of the F&G depts to issue either sex tags like they do. Seems to take several years past the "NEED TO" dates for them to act on reducing tags.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you have the valid tag, and you're hunting in the designated season........I don't see why not. I've seen more elk in the San Juans over the last 5 years than most other areas around the state......in season or not.

chasewild

WKR
I'm glad you're asking the question. We don't need more hunters, we need better hunters. And your question tells me you're the latter.

I live in the SJs. I actually didn't sleep last night because I've spent 15 days in August "counting" (e.g. scouting) elk and mule deer and it just stresses me out when I don't see elk in what should be prime elk habitat. My wife wants to take an elk with her stick bow and if she gets an opportunity on a cow, I would tell her to aim, anchor, and follow through. The experience will cast her out of harder more genuine material and give her a new perspective on hunting, hunting as a woman, and hunting with a primitive weapon. She's never taken an animal with her bow.

Same for you, if you've been hunting for years, and have had the privilege of taking an animal, maybe let that cow slide by and watch her. Enjoy that, revel in it, but don't let that arrow fly. If you're a new hunter, and are fully prepared to take every ounce of her off the mountain, aim small and enjoy your harvest for the entire year with hunters and nonhunters alike.

bsnedeker

WKR
Just my 2 cents, but I don't think of it as my job to think about ethics regarding what we should and should not take. If the F&G department says that I can take a cow, then I'm taking a cow. These departments are never perfect, but they know a lot more about animal populations than I ever will so I leave those questions for the experts.

Rob5589

WKR
If the F&G has determined that shooting cows is within management goals, then I am shooting one if the opportunity presents itself. If I was an accomplished elk hunter (will be my 3rd season, no kills yet) then I may think differently.

K

Kootenay Hunter

I echo the responses above, if you have the tag, fill it. Cow tags may also be a management tool being used by F&G....bottom line, if it's open why not.

In BC, WT doe seasons are criticized, because folks are not 'seeing' as many animals. Yet studies are showing a population boom and expanding range, encroaching on mule deer habitat.....so doe seasons are trying to quell the expansion and help out the dwindling muley population. Those thinking they have higher ethics are hurting the situation, but I guess what they see from their quad is worth more than any field bio studies right? /rant.