Is the .300 Win Mag dead?

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
I think that the 300 is now and will be what the 30-06 was and is
You can do anything with either but the 300 will never let you down if you do your part of the task at hand

tlsmith22

FNG
I built a 300WM last spring using the match reamer that is talked abt on the longrangeonly forum designed to shoot 215 Bergers. I was getting velocities right at 3100 fps out of a 26" Proof barrel.

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
I hope not. It will probably be my next rifle.
I'm going back and forth between the .28 Nosler and .300 and I like the ammo ability

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

JigStick

WKR
Ohh no. Too good of an all around round.
Good in a bolt gun. Good in an AR-10 platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive never seen a large frame AR shooting 300wm. The recoil and pressure alone would wreck havoc on the gas system. Do you personally have one? If so Id love to hear more about it. Especially what magazines your using and the upper receiver ejection port

JigStick

WKR
I hope not. It will probably be my next rifle.
I'm going back and forth between the .28 Nosler and .300 and I like the ammo ability

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Ive found the 28 Nosler much more difficult to tune with handholds than the 300wm.

Moneyball

WKR
Go in just about any gun store and you’ll find .300 ammunition. That should help answer your question. Fantastic caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JigStick

WKR
The better question to be asking here is if the 300wsm is the better choice for our intended purposes. The shorter fatter case of the WSM allows for a more compact and condensed powder charge. Keeping that powder in closer proximity to the projectile. The shoulder angle is also more advantageous to accuracy and precision. It allows for short or medium length actions and a more compact rifle package.

Keeping ethics and skill level in mind I would say the majority of us hunting long range don't "need" a projectile heavier than the 180s. So if you compare the ballistics of the WM and WSM shooting 180s they are very very very close.

At least for how I hunt...and how I shoot...the WSM is the clear winner here for all but the biggest most dangerous animals (which I don't hunt...ie kodiak bear).

Is the 300WM death? No. Not by a long shot. But for the majority of people out there hunting its hard to justify using it over the 300WSM.

Ive never seen a large frame AR shooting 300wm. The recoil and pressure alone would wreck havoc on the gas system. Do you personally have one? If so Id love to hear more about it. Especially what magazines your using and the upper receiver ejection port

Nemo Arms. Don't have one but have two buddies that do. Accurate as all get out and a pleasure to shoot. 15 rounds of .300 win is a beast!

Ratbeetle

WKR
The better question to be asking here is if the 300wsm is the better choice for our intended purposes. The shorter fatter case of the WSM allows for a more compact and condensed powder charge. Keeping that powder in closer proximity to the projectile. The shoulder angle is also more advantageous to accuracy and precision. It allows for short or medium length actions and a more compact rifle package.

Keeping ethics and skill level in mind I would say the majority of us hunting long range don't "need" a projectile heavier than the 180s. So if you compare the ballistics of the WM and WSM shooting 180s they are very very very close.

At least for how I hunt...and how I shoot...the WSM is the clear winner here for all but the biggest most dangerous animals (which I don't hunt...ie kodiak bear).

Is the 300WM death? No. Not by a long shot. But for the majority of people out there hunting its hard to justify using it over the 300WSM.

Not to hijack, but why are you limiting the wsm to 180gr bullets? Hornady has a factory 200gr eldx load. Does the wsm not perform well with the heavier bullets?

Vaultman

WKR
Nemo Arms. Don't have one but have two buddies that do. Accurate as all get out and a pleasure to shoot. 15 rounds of .300 win is a beast!
The AR 10 is a 308 cartridge length. The Nemo Arms and Falkor Petra are 300 win mag in a custom AR package that is oversized. But they are not an AR 10.