Is the "Caribou" considered, "Entry Level" Trophy Hunting....???

ZMT588

Lil-Rokslider
I choose it because fifty some years ago, when you could still file for free land through the Federal Homestead Act, I homesteaded on the upper Susitna River, above the Denali Haul Road. And because I built a small hunting lodge on Majestic Lake Clark, and a large hunting lodge near King Salmon, AK. and because I have built three homesteads in Alaska. Spent the last 52 years commercial fishing Cook Inlet and guiding hunters and as a commercial pilot, flying Super Cubs for guiding operations in Alaska.

And I wanted to save "Debbiedowner" for you.
Wtf does that have to do with "sourdough"? lol

OP
S

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Wtf does that have to do with "sourdough"? lol

Ding...Ding....Ding.....we have a "Winner" of todays "clueless" trophy.

I can "explain" it to you, but I can't understand it for you. You need to do that.

A “Sourdough” is an old time Alaskan – someone who has learned the ways of this beautiful and at times harsh land. The name comes from the fact the the first trappers and then miners would carry sourdough starters against their bodies wherever they went. Keeping the delicate culture alive in the harsh winter landscapes. New comers to the state are referred to as “cheechakos” denoting someone green behind the ears who has much to learn about navigating the harsh winters and customs of Alaska.

ptarmigan

FNG
You being a "CITY" person. I'll defer to you knowledge about "pollution"

Yeah, ok bub. You live right off of the Hope Rd. If you currently lived in the bush I’d give you more credit. For now, you’re just a bored and whiney old prick. Prove me wrong, though I know you can’t. I can’t believe I’m even bothered to respond to your constant drivel. Congrats on trying to blow up another forum though, you did a good job being a prick on another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Sourdough

WKR
If you currently lived in the bush I’d give you more credit.
I don't need a "City'boy" like you to be giving me credit, for anything.
What does a "CITY Boy" like you know about living in the bush......???

I have lived in many remote parts of Alaska, many I had to fly one of my Super Cubs to so I could land on the lake or beach. yet this is the "Only" place in Alaska I have lived, where my neighbor and friend of 22 years, was "mauled" to death and "eaten" in your backyard, by an Alaska Brown Bear.

I would like to think most are paying for the experience. The experience includes the place, the journey to and from, the trophy ( in both meat and antler form), the fellowship, everything. Its no different than going on vacation to the beach or going to disney land. People like going new places, seeing new things, experiencing new challenges. Its just what we do.

ptarmigan

FNG
I don't need a "City'boy" like you to be giving me credit, for anything.
What does a "CITY Boy" like you know about living in the bush......???

I have lived in many remote parts of Alaska, many I had to fly one of my Super Cubs to so I could land on the lake or beach. yet this is the "Only" place in Alaska I have lived, where my neighbor and friend of 22 years, was "mauled" to death and "eaten" in your backyard, by an Alaska Brown Bear.

Schit, I can live anywhere. City, bush, it doesn’t matter. I’m not a one trick pony pretending I live off grid. I live where I do because of the opportunities for my kids, and to keep my wife happy. You keep playing the old sourdough tough guy bit, and I’ll keep laughing at you like I have for years. Apparently I’m not the only one either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKBorn

WKR
Someone in this thread proposed that the Caribou is a "Trophy" simply because it is the "Last" of the herd animals remaining that "migrate" in North America. All I can respond to that is "WOW". So I ask is that what makes the Caribou a "Trophy".....???
Try a bit more reading comprehension...I was the person who posted about the caribou being the last large herd animal in the United states. I didn't call it a "trophy" animal, that term means different thing to everyone. I was giving reasons why non-residents might want to hunt caribou in Alaska, and that was one of them.

Try reading a little slower, understanding a bit more, and WOWing a bit less.

OP
S

Sourdough

WKR
I was the person who posted about the caribou being the last large herd animal in the United states.
And "YET" few have ever seen this. I seriously doubt that hunters today have ever watched tens of thousands come through day after day, for months, valleys full of caribou, "flowing" like an endless a river of caribou as far in both directions as you can see. Herds were numbered in the "HUNDREDS" of thousands. The State ran snowplows in the summer to push the dead caribou off the highway. Semi-tractor trailers would have up to five or more dead caribou, or even live caribou wedged allover the rig.

Non-residents could harvest three caribou. Residents five.

Early 70's flew five non-resident caribou hunters out to Swiss Lake (two men and their young sons). The deal was we would only fly them and a total of ten caribou out, don't shoot more then ten. There were five or seven hundred caribou there at that cabin on Swiss Lake, when we dropped them off, the hunters were quivering with excitement. Later that day, we had to fly fuel out to a mining camp twenty miles past Swiss Lake.

They had thirty five caribou dead or flopping when we flew over them, and they were still shooting. We could not land with a several drums of fuel on board, well we could have landed, but could not have been able to take off, so we went onto the mining camp. When we came back we did not bother the count caribou on the ground. We said, what the hell are you doing...??? One of the men answered, were are out of ammo, and there are still some need finishing. We got a "survival axe" out of the plane, told them to finish killing the ones still alive, we would be back in the morning to start hauling them out.

Like I said, we did not count dead caribou when we returned, but my guess is fifty maybe sixty.

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
And "YET" few have ever seen this. I seriously doubt that hunters today have ever watched tens of thousands come through day after day, for months, valleys full of caribou, "flowing" like an endless a river of caribou as far in both directions as you can see. Herds were numbered in the "HUNDREDS" of thousands. The State ran snowplows in the summer to push the dead caribou off the highway. Semi-tractor trailers would have up to five or more dead caribou, or even live caribou wedged allover the rig.

Non-residents could harvest three caribou. Residents five.

Early 70's flew five non-resident caribou hunters out to Swiss Lake (two men and their young sons). The deal was we would only fly them and a total of ten caribou out, don't shoot more then ten. There were five or seven hundred caribou there at that cabin on Swiss Lake, when we dropped them off, the hunters were quivering with excitement. Later that day, we had to fly fuel out to a mining camp twenty miles past Swiss Lake.

They had thirty five caribou dead or flopping when we flew over them, and they were still shooting. We could not land with a several drums of fuel on board, well we could have landed, but could not have been able to take off, so we went onto the mining camp. When we came back we did not bother the count caribou on the ground. We said, what the hell are you doing...??? One of the men answered, were are out of ammo, and there are still some need finishing. We got a "survival axe" out of the plane, told them to finish killing the ones still alive, we would be back in the morning to start hauling them out.

Like I said, we did not count dead caribou when we returned, but my guess is fifty maybe sixty.

And so your implication is that because there used to be massive herds of caribou that hunting caribou “back in the day” was like hunting rats in Baltimore, therefore they can’t be “trophies” in the 2021 when the numbers are far less?

You keep complaining about reading comprehension, but you’re ability to articulate a point is seriously convoluted.

OP
S

Sourdough

WKR
That is because you viewed my original post as an "attack". You fail to see that I was asking a question. My whole point is there are other options then being herded into a Caribou hunt. My point is that maybe suddenly some "profiteers" (a few years ago) figured out they could sell drop-off hunts for super profit. My point is and was that for the same amount of money non-residents could (if they desired) be chasing other trophy. Having a better Alaska Wilderness Hunting Adventure.

Well........I tried to help, members got pissed. Screw-it, as the they say, "If you enjoy your caribou hunts, keep at it".
I tried to be helpful, I have gotten my head handed to me, and I "no" longer care about being helpful.

All I have gotten is "personal attacks". I now realize that a 75 y/o man who loves hunting, and spent 52 years hunting and guiding all over Alaska does not know anything helpful.

This has been very educational to me.......Thank you.

And so your implication is that because there used to be massive herds of caribou that hunting caribou “back in the day” was like hunting rats in Baltimore, therefore they can’t be “trophies” in the 2021 when the numbers are far less?

You keep complaining about reading comprehension, but you’re ability to articulate a point is seriously convoluted.

MNGaryB

FNG
That is because you viewed my original post as an "attack". You fail to see that I was asking a question. My whole point is there are other options then being herded into a Caribou hunt. My point is that maybe suddenly some "profiteers" (a few years ago) figured out they could sell drop-off hunts for super profit. My point is and was that for the same amount of money non-residents could (if they desired) be chasing other trophy. Having a better Alaska Wilderness Hunting Adventure.

Well........I tried to help, members got pissed. Screw-it, as the they say, "If you enjoy your caribou hunts, keep at it".
I tried to be helpful, I have gotten my head handed to me, and I "no" longer care about being helpful.

All I have gotten is "personal attacks". I now realize that a 75 y/o man who loves hunting, and spent 52 years hunting and guiding all over Alaska does not know anything helpful.

This has been very educational to me.......Thank you.
Sourdough I would love to hear the information you have regarding these trophy hunts you speak of for that $3000-$5000 ranges. I’m sure there are many more like me that would be very interested. Thanks in advance for your feedback

OLE1021

FNG
Sourdough its time to move on, you are ruining a good thread. I'm happy you are an amazing Alaskan. Sounds like you profited off of taking caribou hunters on hunts at one time. (not very ethically) Everyone has their own definition of a trophy, and can spend their money as they see fit.

When something is in demand you can be sure someone will profit off of the demand. The way of the world, we are all outdoorsmen.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@Sourdough I would have to ask if this forum is still a good place for you? Reading that most of the responses don’t correlate with your thinking, it’s probably time to move on. If you don’t like the way people hunt on here, or that they elevate a perfectly legal and acceptable species to hunt, you’ve really outgrown us.

this is the kind of thinking that turns into cancer and pretty soon some kid posts a picture of a doe antelope he shot, and the “you’re not worthy“ crowd crucify him.

This threads about to go bye-bye

OP
S

Sourdough

WKR
Sounds like you profited off of taking caribou hunters on hunts at one time. (not very ethically)
The example I gave of the Hunters at Swiss Lake. I profited "ZERO". I was riding along on the flight to haul fuel to a mining camp, because getting 55 gallon drums full of fuel out of a C-185 on floats, is not a one man job. So I was riding along to "HELP". Un paid, for free. I was helping the owner of the aircraft. And what those hunters did is a reflection of them.......NOT me.

But you are right.......time for me to move on. I tried to help, it did not work. I need to finish my permanent 17 foot high meat pole. and prep the traps, for winter. Good hunting to each of you.