Is the "Caribou" considered, "Entry Level" Trophy Hunting....???

Poser

WKR
Please show where I "MENTIONED" the Alaska Range. Show where I mentioned "ANY" Range, Mountain Range, or even a Range for cooking dinner....??? See I said "Zero" about any Range, In fact I did not mention any location other then Caribou in Alaska.

My reference to, "not" blissful wilderness experience, was based on "Many" of the posts in another thread, here on the Caribou Sub-forum. You will fine several in this thread here. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/unit-23-reports.230165/page-4#post-2265489

giphy.gif

Poser

WKR
On further thought, there is is how I’ve been inspired by this Karen-of-a-complaint post:

Ive been to 48 states. I have not been to AK or HI, but I am now inspired. I will fly to Canada, I will Covid dance if asked, but do not expect, i will hunt caribou for 5 days, I will come back to Rokslide and write a LONG post detailing every aspect of this adventure including which caliber I used, how the trip changed my life and how I brought home a trophy caribou.

Who will join me in this fine cause? Who will stand up for the righteous cause of spite and retribution against a man so sullied in his heart of complaint and Karenism? We must strike him down and we must do it swiftly, for he knows not what is deemed a trophy.

OP
S

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
On further thought, there is is how I’ve been inspired by this Karen-of-a-complaint post:

Ive been to 48 states. I have not been to AK or HI, but I am now inspired. I will fly to Canada, I will Covid dance if asked, but do not expect, i will hunt caribou for 5 days, I will come back to Rokslide and write a LONG post detailing every aspect of this adventure including which caliber I used, how the trip changed my life and how I brought home a trophy caribou.

Who will join me in this fine cause? Who will stand up for the righteous cause of spite and retribution against a man so sullied in his heart of complaint and Karenism? We must strike him down and we must do it swiftly, for he knows not what is deemed a trophy.
So.......you have "Special Snowflake Syndrome", there is medical treatment for that. And given your other post, you clearly have "Reading Comprehension" issues. You might look into "Night School".

I doubt much can be done reference you being a "Spoiled Brat". But that is a core feature of "Special Snowflake Syndrome".

z987k

WKR
What is the driving motivation, to spend a lot of money, and have a "NOT" blissful wilderness experience, if all you get is "ONE" caribou........???

To turn this around.......try to imagine, if I discovered that recently lots and lots and lots of long time Alaskans, were incurring substantial expense, to fly to the lower 48, and then pay someone to sleep in their currently unused chicken coop, pay for a non-resident hunting license, pay to have the "local" drive them to "Government" land to shoot a wild boar, or a armadillo. Plus to discover they were spending $1,400.00 for special "SITKA" brand hunting clothing, and $2,000.00 for a "super-duper" designated pig-gun. Plus pay, for special shipping to have parts of the pig shipped back to Alaska, then write up a hunt report on some internet forum.....complete with photos, and jabbering about the bullet and powder and optic, and special boots required.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is great that hunters desire to experience an Alaska "Wilderness" Hunt. But the more I read on this forum and other hunt forums about non-resident hunters experience with the hunt for "one single" caribou, it just seems there needs to be a "full STOP" and rethink this madness.
You don't have to any of that crap to kill a caribou in Alaska.
As a resident I think I had $75 total into my caribou this year. Even less into my Moose last year.
No special clothes, just the flat colors I own, wear and recreate in while not hunting.
No special gun. No magnum. Just my factory 6.5 shooting factory ammo.
Same binos and water filter and everything that I take camping regardless. The difference between a caribou hunt and a camping trip is I pack a rifle and game bags extra.

You don't need to spend thousands on all the Gucci hunter crap to be successful. Caribou don't care if you dress in flourescent pink.
You don't need a special gun for Alaska. Whatever rifle you have will absolutely kill a caribou.

Now that all said if you have no idea what you're doing you won't be successful and thats where the guides come in.

Poser

WKR
So.......you have "Special Snowflake Syndrome", there is medical treatment for that. And given your other post, you clearly have "Reading Comprehension" issues. You might look into "Night School".

I doubt much can be done reference you being a "Spoiled Brat". But that is a core feature of "Special Snowflake Syndrome".

There’s another member of this forum. His name is “ohhiitznik.” I think you two could be good friends. How about you walk off into the sunset together?

Bambistew

WKR
Don't pick on Sourdough. He used to live in Anchorage and now can only see the lights of it from his cabin. He tries to tell people how bad ass he is, after he moved here from CA of course, and how he lives off the land. This guy is a joke.

The only thing he's hunted in the last "ten" + (10) years is his SS check... which is wierd because by the yarns he tells, I'm surprised he ever had time for a job. Also 99% sure most everything he says is imagined in his mind and never happened. He was a "guide" for about 1/3 of the time he want you to believe. A guide... not the guy in charge, someone being told what to do.

He's just a sad lonely old man, who had to branch out to half a dozen forums after his "home" forum died... mostly due to stupid posts that he makes like this one.

Again go easy, he doesn't have anything else in his pitiful life besides forums, stacking wood, and taking life into his own hands everything he ventures out the door in the bear infested "woods" of the small town he lives in. Pray for him and his survival.

OP
S

Sourdough

WKR
Notice that they have so far failed to respond to the point I proposed in the first post of this thread. Which by default points to the validity of what I suggested in the original post. Notice that while their lacking any creditable rebuttal, they are compelled to attack the messenger.

For the truth, I have "Never" lived in California......never. I have driven through California. And as commercial Pilot, I did sometimes fly into and out of California.

I am simply proposing that at some point an effort was made to elevate the Caribou to a quasi-trophy status. Most likely as a marketing effort, by transporters, and those who have profited from this.

I propose that hunters seriously look at it the Caribou is a trophy harvest animal, especially considering the "Total" cost to non-resident hunters. I suggest that perhaps this was and continues to be a profit driven marketing effort.

There could be more prudent type hunts in Alaska to spend upwards of $3,000.00 to $5,000.00 or more total cost for non-residents to have an Alaskan hunting experience.

If people want to hunt and harvest Caribou, that is fine with me. I am simply proposing that perhaps, some are being led my profit driven businesses. I am asking "WHO" started this idea of harvesting caribou as any level of trophy. When did this idea originate....??? And who profits....???

Now......is there such a thing as "Trophy Caribou"......yes. A few. But I look at the photos that people are posting and few if any would be trophy level. Marketers, and promoters, and profiteers have herded non-residents down this road.

I say fine, if you want to go down that road, but I also suggest you do it with eyes "Wide-open".

Someone in this thread proposed that the Caribou is a "Trophy" simply because it is the "Last" of the herd animals remaining that "migrate" in North America. All I can respond to that is "WOW". So I ask is that what makes the Caribou a "Trophy".....???

Please feel fully invited to attack me, it is entertaining. It is a giggle that attackers, who can't formulate a fundamental response to the subject, are however obsessed with me.......and where I have never lived.

Known as agl4now on other forum. He stems from hope. Has decent threads about some things then others that will leave you confused and tired. Posts are easily detected by random all caps words.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
Notice that they have so far failed to respond to the point I proposed in the first post of this thread. Which by default points to the validity of what I suggested in the original post. Notice that while their lacking any creditable rebuttal, they are compelled to attack the messenger.

For the truth, I have "Never" lived in California......never. I have driven through California. And as commercial Pilot, I did sometimes fly into and out of California.

I am simply proposing that at some point an effort was made to elevate the Caribou to a quasi-trophy status. Most likely as a marketing effort, by transporters, and those who have profited from this.

I propose that hunters seriously look at it the Caribou is a trophy harvest animal, especially considering the "Total" cost to non-resident hunters. I suggest that perhaps this was and continues to be a profit driven marketing effort.

There could be more prudent type hunts in Alaska to spend upwards of $3,000.00 to $5,000.00 or more total cost for non-residents to have an Alaskan hunting experience.

If people want to hunt and harvest Caribou, that is fine with me. I am simply proposing that perhaps, some are being led my profit driven businesses. I am asking "WHO" started this idea of harvesting caribou as any level of trophy. When did this idea originate....??? And who profits....???

Now......is there such a thing as "Trophy Caribou"......yes. A few. But I look at the photos that people are posting and few if any would be trophy level. Marketers, and promoters, and profiteers have herded non-residents down this road.

I say fine, if you want to go down that road, but I also suggest you do it with eyes "Wide-open".

Someone in this thread proposed that the Caribou is a "Trophy" simply because it is the "Last" of the herd animals remaining that "migrate" in North America. All I can respond to that is "WOW". So I ask is that what makes the Caribou a "Trophy".....???

Please feel fully invited to attack me, it is entertaining. It is a giggle that attackers, who can't formulate a fundamental response to the subject, are however obsessed with me.......and where I have never lived.
Why do you care what other guys think looks cool on their walls or what they spend their money on? Never hunted caribou myself but I think they are a cool looking animal with really interesting head gear.

I've never understood why people get excited about going to Arizona to shoot shitty little whitetails but cous deer hunting is very popular. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

OP
S

Sourdough

WKR
Known as agl4now on other forum. He stems from hope. Has decent threads about some things then others that will leave you confused and tired. Posts are easily detected by random all caps words.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Clearly......this explains why the non-resident is paying $3,000.00 or $5,000.00 or more to harvest a caribou.

The Wolf seems to historically been revered as a cherished "Trophy", and any place you find substantial numbers of Caribou, you will find wolves. Back when there were tens of thousands of caribou visible (together) in a valley, there were dozens of wolves near. Maybe some could spend the same amount of money, and harvest a wolf. It might be the more coveted trophy in one's hunting history. And it would help the caribou population.

ptarmigan

FNG
I’m curious as to what difference it even makes to you? People pay up to hunt trophy whitetails and mule deer too. Caribou are beautiful animals with some sporting fantastic headgear. Furthermore, they are great eating. Why is it so hard to comprehend that this animal, only huntable in one state (not counting Canada), would be considered a trophy to many? You post some strange stuff man, and it’s not even winter yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
A "forum" is a platform for members to express their opinion. I expressed mine. And so far, there has not been a rebuttal. Only upset, and personal attacks.
No one has offered a rebuttal because no one cares! You seem to be misunderstanding that very basic concept.

slick

WKR
There has been plenty of rebuttals. He’s just choosing not to view them as valid reasons.
1) large ungulate and to some (but not him) have fascinating migratory behavior
2) unique set of antlers unlike other species in NA
3) some may only go to Alaska once, if ever, and to them it is a trophy
In addition most people don’t see the same species of animals as home
4) everyone must have an antler minimum to meet his score for trophy

Those have all been touched on, you’re just choosing to look past them Or not acknowledge them.

MDR

FNG
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder. In the grand scheme of life, B&C, P&Y don't matter. The experience is what matters. For someone living in the lower 48, going on a remote caribou hunt could be a lifelong dream, so their idea of a trophy vs a resident could be very different.

OP
S

Sourdough

WKR
There has been plenty of rebuttals. He’s just choosing not to view them as valid reasons.
1) large ungulate and to some (but not him) have fascinating migratory behavior
2) unique set of antlers unlike other species in NA
3) some may only go to Alaska once, if ever, and to them it is a trophy
In addition most people don’t see the same species of animals as home
4) everyone must have an antler minimum to meet his score for trophy

Those have all been touched on, you’re just choosing to look past them Or not acknowledge them.

Just strange that this was only recently discovered. You would think that something as wonderful as this would have been common knowledge. Or just maybe it is a good sales job by those who profit.

For me, when I am asked where to invest $3,000.00 or $5,000.00 total cost for a non-resident hunt.........I never mention caribou.

TSAMP

WKR
People pay 5k for a seat to watch a ball go in a net for 2 hours.

This is a waste of time. Your opinion would not have warranted any real attention had you not expressed it in the belittling fashion that you did. I suspect you did it on purpose as you appear to need the attention.

The fact remains most of those in the thread you began this whine in, were upset they did not get the opportunity to go, not that they didn't get a "trophy", i haven't seen a single post about anyone complaining about caribou size ever.

Also did you choose the name "Sourdough" because "Debbiedowner" was already taken?

OP
S

Sourdough

WKR
Also did you choose the name "Sourdough" because "Debbiedowner" was already taken?
I choose it because fifty some years ago, when you could still file for free land through the Federal Homestead Act, I homesteaded on the upper Susitna River, above the Denali Haul Road. And because I built a small hunting lodge on Majestic Lake Clark, and a large hunting lodge near King Salmon, AK. and because I have built three homesteads in Alaska. Spent the last 52 years commercial fishing Cook Inlet and guiding hunters and as a commercial pilot, flying Super Cubs for guiding operations in Alaska.

And I wanted to save "Debbiedowner" for you.

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
Reading this forum is like reading old letters and emails from my ex-wife. In other words, not fun. Please change the subject matter back to a forum where folks aren't attacking one another.