Is the cost of a ATV truly needed to hunt with?

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
I am debating buying a quad for hunting. However I am having 2nd thoughts. It would only be for hunting / scouting as I do not own land for work purposes. I do have a new f 150 so have a truck. I know atvs can keep tear off of trucks thats the only reason to me. I know atvs can access more spots but alot of states I hunt being AZ, Utah, Idaho, Colorado have units where you can't access alot of little roads with atvs due to new restrictions etc. My style would only be using it to save time vs my truck on rougher roads or take wear off truck. I still hike off roads so this wouldnt be used to road hunt or take off road.

So my question is does anyone find just using their daily driver work fine? Im hesitant about dumping upto 13 grand by the time cost of new or used quad with a trailer and gear. Especially with a kid off to college and a quad payment.

Curious of the groups thoughts. I know some will buy a old quad for a couple grand but if I did it id go newer for fuel injection and reliability so again trying to decide if needed or be old school and just hike further from truck. Thanks

tdhanses

WKR
In my view yes if you hunt anywhere that has bad roads. Consider it an investment in not tearing up your expensive pickup. I started out for many years using an atv that was only ever used for hunting, think I had it 5 years and only had maybe 500 miles on it when I traded it in on a utv. I’ve had the utv a little over half a year and already have 500 miles on it as I can take the family out to have fun where I couldn’t with the atv.

But respect the rules and people, stay on actual roads and atv trails only, I’ve gone back 10 miles on a Jeep trail just to hike in many more miles, it allowed me to access new areas I never would of taken my pickup and wouldn’t of walked 10 miles just to have a Jeep or atv drive up after walking that far.

I think many think people with atv/utv‘s only road hunt or drive where they shouldn’t, unfortunately like anything a very small minority give many a bad taste.

While not a horrible road bet this cost the owner a little to fix, looked like he tore up a few things and left it. This road took maybe 15 mins to drive on the utv.

DD8497AB-7A3A-4D6D-A77E-6AD243B29BCE.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
I like the responses so far. I have had several utvs in past. Im only thinking quad this time for 2 reasons, first cost with kid in college and secondly to me I was lazy in the utv where I feel a quad wouldn't be as easy to just sit in and be lazy. Plus a quad is a little quicker and easier in rougher stuff than even a utv. Idk

I do agree with wear and tear but also agree that eveyone with a quad will be there too. At times I wonder if I make my decisions too difficult and if going back to simple just a truck and work a little harder is smarter.

tdhanses

WKR
I like the responses so far. I have had several utvs in past. Im only thinking quad this time for 2 reasons, first cost with kid in college and secondly to me I was lazy in the utv where I feel a quad wouldn't be as easy to just sit in and be lazy.

I do agree with wear and tear but also agree that eveyone with a quad will be there too. At times I wonder if I make my decisions too difficult and if going back to simple just a truck and work a little harder is smarter.
Personally if just you I’d look at a Honda Pioneer 500 utv, around $8k, it’ll fit down atv 50” trails. Who cares if you get lazy, your just driving from camp to a spot your going to stop and hit the woods 🤔

No need for a 1000cc atv.

Truthfully I’ve found while you do run into others with the same idea you still allow yourself to just expand your opportunities and areas, if someone else is there just move on to a different spot, there aren’t atv’s at every tree.

I see far more pickups and cars at trailhead then I see atv’s parked together.

tdhanses

WKR
Also I’ve used it to just drive from camp to a main trailhead, it‘s so much better to just use it vs a vehicle once you set camp.

I‘ve grown to prefer to only drive my vehicle when I first get there and when I leave the area, otherwise it just sits.

Bulldawg

WKR
Necessary, obviously no, but I wish I had one because it would make it much easier/nicer to get to some places. What I would like is to drive my truck to the end of the pavement and go on a atv/utv from there. Sure, everyone else with an ATV can get to where you're going, but if you only have a truck, then all those ate's can get to places you can't get to. It's also a lot easier to turn a quad around on a narrow road when you decide you want to go back opposed to a truck.

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
Can you not bypass the trailer?

The only thing I like about the atv over a utv is putting it in the back of the truck and not dealing with that many more tires going down the road.
I hear ya there. But no would need trailer due to short bed and hauling camp equipment too. If I did it would be a small 8 foot trailer just to camp and thats it.

Whip

WKR
It really depends on the areas you hunt. This year I'm headed to a spot a buddy had hunted before and he told me to expect scratches and possibly dents if I take my truck, although it is a designated road. Just not maintained at all. So I'm taking the ATV with a small utility trailer to haul camp in and will leave the truck at the base of the mountain.
Whether on an ATV or in a truck I always try to avoid trailheads at the end of the road. Everybody seems to drive until they can't anymore and hunt there. They blow right past a bunch of good hunting on the way there though.

I've hunted on and off with a quad. I found in my area, the ATV just got me to where everyone else was going...if I could ride there, a lot of other people could too.

I just walk now, and generally have little company.
I too have pondered an ATV or sxs, so much so, that I have been saving for one. I just can't pull the trigger. I feel like it will take me to spots that other ATVs can get to anyway. I just find spots that other people don't want to go to, hike in and I rarely run into other people. Now when game is on the ground I always wish I had one ;). Maybe when I'm older but for now finding humanless areas, hiking in and finding solitude, has worked really well.

Just for the pure fun factor, taking family out, maybe use for some hunting applications: Absolutely!!

I have thought about using one for upland game hunting. :D

GSPHUNTER

WKR
You have to look at your particular hunting situations and go from there. If you hunt far off the beaten path and might end up having to haul out or big buck or elk, then yes. Only you know what is right for you.

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
It really depends on the areas you hunt. This year I'm headed to a spot a buddy had hunted before and he told me to expect scratches and possibly dents if I take my truck, although it is a designated road. Just not maintained at all. So I'm taking the ATV with a small utility trailer to haul camp in and will leave the truck at the base of the mountain.
Whether on an ATV or in a truck I always try to avoid trailheads at the end of the road. Everybody seems to drive until they can't anymore and hunt there. They blow right past a bunch of good hunting on the way there though.
I can agree there. I have been in that group with a utv in past then see guys pulling out big bucks close to main roads closer to private land with no quads needed etc. Guess its all a toss up at times.

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
You have to look at your particular hunting situations and go from there. If you hunt far off the beaten path and might end up having to haul out or big buck or elk, then yes. Only you know what is right for you.
90% of my hunting has been in AZ where i have never used my utv at that time to haul game out. Always quartered and hiked out. But now living in Utah and starting to hunt there, Idaho and Colorado im just curious if those areas are different. Guess I should research units I like in those states first. Thanks

Keep in mind that it will take you finger to get anywhere in your truck if towing or carrying one. Everyone we saw towing trailers or campers on those Class II USFS roads were going walking speed most of the time when we were going 15-20mph.