Is the cost of a ATV truly needed to hunt with?

fmyth

WKR
I take my 14 year old Yamaha Rhino on every hunting trip. I paid 3200 for it 7 years ago and have only done routine maintenance on it and a set of new tires. It has taken me places my 2020 Ram Power Wagon couldn't go due to size, weight etc. Also, when things get sketchy I'd much rather risk damaging my 3k UTV than a 60k truck that I plan to drive 1,000 miles home in.

The cost of a UTV is high to some and affordable to others, depends on how much money you have I suppose. The amount of body abuse I have saved myself over the last 4 years, I think my SxS has paid for itself. The roads are much smoother and I am able to access new areas that I would have never taken my pickup into. I park my pickup at the pavement and usually just rip the SxS to wherever I plan on hunting.

whaack

WKR
I have a quad that I bought new for 5800. I always wanted one but those new side by sides are obnoxiously expensive. Base models at 12k is just too much. Plus hard work is fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whaack

WKR
I have a quad that I bought new for 5800. I always wanted one but those new side by sides are obnoxiously expensive. Base models at 12k is just too much. Plus hard work is fun.

You said that half hour ago, and I resisted then.

But second time shows your persistence.

Have I got the job for you!!!

bofishil

FNG
I hunt on private land and use my ATV more so each year. Since I have rheumatoid arthritis that continues to cripple my knees, ankles , and feet. I struggle to walk any long distances but I still do not ride to my exact chosen hunt area. I park a considerable distance from the hunt area and walk in. When I do get lucky and harvest a deer the ATV is a definite big help to haul the animal out.

WCB

WKR
IMO....no. I hunt all over and rarely use an ATV. The main time I use one is Snow Goose hunting in the spring. I am debating on bringing mine to MT for elk (if I get a alternate tag) as I know a couple of areas they will help me out. For one I hate bringing a trailer and having 6 more tires to worry about having issues with.

I would say the vast majority of guys don't need one and could get by with borrowing a buddies or a family members once a year or once every couple years.

I did the minimalist, poor man’s version and bought a Coleman mini bike. It’s like $800 after some (in my opinion) necessary mods, weighs less than 200 lbs, goes anywhere, and you can ride it right into the truck bed. No trailer hauling necessary.

gbflyer

WKR
We carry an old Honda Foreman in the back of the truck while we’re road hunting

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
Alright everyone. First thanks for all responses. I am pretty cheap when it comes to stuff except glass and scopes. This was a tough decision but gonna pull the plug on a slightly used quad. I was hesitant till this am but figured it can save some abuse on my truck. The decision was based on having a rugged hunt up in Idaho and some areas here in Utah. I grew up hunting northern AZ and just never needed one. I could get my trucks to everywhere I wanted down there. Always packed my bulls or deer out to the truck etc. But given more rugged areas up here I feel it can only help.

I appreciate all the discussion. I know some say utv. I have had those for family fun in past but still think for solo hunts the quad will serve better and alot cheaper used. Thanks everyone.

tdhanses

WKR
Alright everyone. First thanks for all responses. I am pretty cheap when it comes to stuff except glass and scopes. This was a tough decision but gonna pull the plug on a slightly used quad. I was hesitant till this am but figured it can save some abuse on my truck. The decision was based on having a rugged hunt up in Idaho and some areas here in Utah. I grew up hunting northern AZ and just never needed one. I could get my trucks to everywhere I wanted down there. Always packed my bulls or deer out to the truck etc. But given more rugged areas up here I feel it can only help.

I appreciate all the discussion. I know some say utv. I have had those for family fun in past but still think for solo hunts the quad will serve better and alot cheaper used. Thanks everyone.
What did you get?

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
What did you get?
Found a good deal on a yamaha kodiak 700. Found some grizzlies and honda foremans but the hours, miles and price for the kodiak was too good to pass. Comes with a winch, heated grips and good tires already as well.

Pflum

FNG
Definitely don't need to spend $13k on one. You can get a nice reliable quad for $3-4k. Less if you aren't picky and can wrench a little.

I own both atv’s and a sxs. My atv’s are for hunting. I get gear in preseason closer and, use them to get get gear and deer out if it’s in a spot I use them. My sxs is a rzr. You can hunt out of it. But, I bought it for recreation.

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
I own both atv’s and a sxs. My atv’s are for hunting. I get gear in preseason closer and, use them to get get gear and deer out if it’s in a spot I use them. My sxs is a rzr. You can hunt out of it. But, I bought it for recreation.
I hear ya. I had a northstar enclosed cab once. Actually made me a road hunter as it had heat. Lol. Didn't like that. Then had a rzr 4 seater. Hated the dust on my gear though. But great on forest roads. Bought a dry dustproof bag that go on back of cars on hitch mounts. I made a frame out of pvc for it to hold my pack etc. Worked well. But this time agree a quad will keep me more focused not as comfy to sit on all day, cheaper and help for retrieval for states that permit it.

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
I have a used 2 rider Polaris and LOVE it. Hunt and scout with it all the time. So much better that using my truck and it does go places the truck will not with the narrow limits on the trails these days. The 2 rider models are smooooth riding and even with 2 Adults it handles fine.