Is the cost of a ATV truly needed to hunt with?

Good choice.

My answer to your question is yes, for some areas. I killed my buck last year because I had a sxs. I hunted the areas I did because I had my sxs. I would have never attempted to drive my truck into those areas. I would not have been able to do what I did without a sxs/atv.

Other areas I have no use for it at all.

I think an atv is beyond the point of diminishing returns. It’s something else to load/unload going to camp, load/unload going home, something else to put tags on (Wyoming requires off road vehicle tags, YMMV), another engine to maintain, another thing to store at home, another thing to insure if you finance a new one. I don’t have a hopped up pickup, just a bone stock F-150 and there aren’t many places an atv can legally go that I can’t. I would consider owning one if I had other uses for it but, like you (OP), I don’t. The 2-3 weeks of use I’d get per year is not worth the hassle. And the extra time/logistics when I am hunting aren’t worth the hassle.

Last edited:
Just remembered you said you’d require a trailer. I don’t know if you already have one. If not, there’s another thing to buy, maintain, license and store. Plus pulling a trailer makes getting to camp (especially in a new area) that much more of a chore.

Do you find riding an atv to be fun? That may inform your decision as well. I personally don’t find it much more fun than driving a SxS.., which to me is no more fun than driving my Jeep or pickup.

I have the motorcycle for fun.

Last edited:
Where I hunt moose a 6x6 is needed. I made it in the first year with a Yamaha Kodiak 700, but coming out with a heavy meat wagon I was constantly winching and had to borderline abuse the machine to get out. It's a necessity for me, but I can also ride right from my house. It's used all year long for so many different activities.

👆
Hunting moose in the swamps of south central AK is a completely different ball game than elk in the Rockies. Though it’s often very steep and almost always higher elevation, the Rockies are much better for going afoot.

Found a good deal on a yamaha kodiak 700. Found some grizzlies and honda foremans but the hours, miles and price for the kodiak was too good to pass. Comes with a winch, heated grips and good tires already as well.

Nice, kodiaks are a lot of bang for the buck, i bought a 2 year old 700 last year too. I doubt it will ever come with on a western hunt but nice for working around home.

A/UTV’s are great to save your truck from crappy roads, but not save your feet from walking. There’s a lot of sign you miss driving that you notice walking. Plus I’ve been glassing and watched animals feeding yards from the road just hunker down when they hear the motors and hop back up when they pass