Is the Marsupial enclosed that much better?

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
After a lot of research, it seems like the marsupial binocular harnesses are held in high regard. My question for folks is whether the enclosed is that much better than the regular version? I'm coming from of the simple harnesses that's just some webbing with a couple clips on it, so I'm used to having no protection for my binos.
Does the enclosed make it tougher to easily pull out the binoculars?

68Plexi

WKR
I have not used the open side marsupial, but I do own the enclosed version. Before it I was using a kuiu harness that had an open back. If I was ever moving through brush I would always end up with debris inside the harness. I also noticed my bino’s lenses would have a fair amount of dust on them even though they were mostly in the harness.

That may not be a big deal to you, but I got tired of the dirt, dust and debris I was cleaning out of the open back harness. As expensive as good binos are, the enclosed harness keeps them cleaner IMO. It’s actually a little more difficult to pull them out of the enclosed version, but I got used to it and it’s no problem now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JGTWI

WKR
Classified Approved
I have not used the original marsupial harness, but I really like the new enclosed version.

I have a AGC harness that I bought before the Marsupial- the only real advantage is the extra pockets & storage space. Otherwise, I prefer the marsupial in most other areas. It is relatively low profile and I don’t find it difficult to remove my binos.

DRock1986

FNG
I have a few hunt under my belt with it in some nasty weather, and it is rock solid. 0% debris made it to my binoculars.

scp

Lil-Rokslider
Does it make it tougher to pull out binos? Yes. Is it better? Yes. I’ve tested a bunch (FHF, Kuiu old and new, old Marsupial, and have used AGC models for years). The enclosed Marsupial is great. Once you’ve accessed your binos a few hundred times the muscle memory erases the fact that the design makes them a little harder to access. It doesn’t even register for me now—easy peasy. Really like their new bino pack!

Following along.

I have the open sided marsupial and it gets branches, dirt, and especially dust in it. I'm on the edge about getting rid of it and upgrading. It hasn't been a huge issue tbh, but it would be nice to have that extra protection.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I own both and honestly like the open sided one more for bowhunting or good weather hunts. When I went to Alaska, I took the enclosed version because I knew it was gonna be raining and everything would be wet. I think the open version would have been the wrong choice for Alaska but I wear the open version more here in AZ.

Baron528

FNG
I've had the open/original version for 4 or 5 years. If the enclosed had been available when I purchased mine, I would have went that route without a second thought. As it is, I'm considering upgrading to the enclosed version.

Typically, I leave my pouch open and will even have the binos dangle on the tethers if I'm seeing animals and not moving much while still hunting. While in travel mode, bad weather or thick stuff, I'll keep the top closed as much as I can.

I own the enclosed right now but definitely prefer the functionality of the original case. I’m running the fully enclosed to keep dust off my Nikon HGs on four wheeler rides but if I didn’t use a 4 wheeler much I’d still use the original.

kpk

WKR
I've used an AGC for years and just got an enclosed marsupial a couple weeks ago. Biggest issue for me is dust and snow - using something that's open just wouldn't cut it to keep the lenses clean.

The price of the marsupial set up vs the AGC is a more difficult decision. I don't have any issues getting my binos or rangefinder out of my AGC one handed, so I'm still deciding which I'm going to use.

Kotaman

WKR
I’ve had both and much prefer the “open”. Enclosed cases are just too bulky for me. Same for the KUIU harness for me. Much prefer the original open version to the enclosed Pro. I, however, seem to be in the minority.

wekilldeer

Lil-Rokslider
I have no experience with the enclosed version but I opted to go with the original version because I am grabbing my binos 100+ times a day and value the ease of access over a little more protection. I have used nearly all major brands of harnesses and the original Marsupial is my favorite to date and I am very happy with it.

I own several of the open original design model. Just ordered an open style medium for some 12s.
I really like this model and how it functions. If I'm concerned for rain or snow I just put the rain cover on.
As far as dust and debris I just deal with the little bit I get into the harness.
I just prefer the simple stream lined design of the open model.
I owned an AGC years ago and hated the bulk.

I have the open model. I like it, but I wish the materials were a bit quieter for spot and stalk archery deer hunting. I've heard the enclosed is pretty quiet.

dan25

Lil-Rokslider
I have been trying to decide on a harness for months now. Trying the buy the right one the first time so I don't have to return or sell. I have older Sworovski 10x50 SLC's. I love to use a ball compass on my chest for navigating and am worried about getting a magnetic version and messing with my compass. I really like the ADAK, but my SLC's are a little too tall for it (tried my brothers). I am considering the Kuiu Pro because no magnets. Any help or feedback would be appreciated. One must for me is the opening has to open away from my body. I like the Marsupial and the Outdoor Vision, but the magnets scare me.

What do you mean? You have to reach into any bino harness to get your binos.

I think he meant with the original, or other harnesses, you can sort of grab the binos from the side. With the enclosed, it is more of a reach in. Thats the trade off for full coverage.

I bought both the enclosed, and original in an attempt to get away from FHF, and ended up selling both. I can say without question, the Marsupial harnesses are damn near a work of art. The fit and finish is superior to just about any other hunting gear, not just harnesses, on the market. The attention to detail and quality of sewing are remarkable.

That being said, I cant deny that I just prefer FHFs minimalist, compact, low profile design. Maybe because Ive used them for years now and Im used to them, but for what Im looking for the FHF just works. Even with the lid opening towards me, I can still access the binos much easier in the FHF. If I had never used the FHF, I would have stuck with the original non enclosed version. With the Marsupial original version, you can slip your thumb behind the binos when you take them out and it is an easier access. Im not a huge fan of the magnets, but I couldve gotten past that. I almost want to just grab another marsupial original and force myself to get used to it.

If I were looking for a harness, Id start with Marsupial. And if it doesnt work for you, then maybe look somewhere else. Hopefully you like it, and if you do, you know wont find a better constructed harness - search over.

Last edited: