Is the Vortex Razor HD Gen 1 16-48x65 the best value spotter under $1,000?

maine

FNG
Looking for a spotter in the 15-45 range. I consistently see these going for ~$600 on the classifieds. The Athlon Ares Gen II UHD 15-45 also peaked my interest. These two spotters seem to punch above their price range, and was curious if there were others I am unaware of.

Scottf270

WKR
I have a Cabela's Krotos which is the Athlon. My only spotter but I like it for the $300 I paid for it. Fyi, there is a Gen 1 Razor just listed on 24hrCampfire classifieds by a reputable guy.

OP
M

maine

FNG
I have a Cabela's Krotos which is the Athlon. My only spotter but I like it for the $300 I paid for it. Fyi, there is a Gen 1 Razor just listed on 24hrCampfire classifieds by a reputable guy.
thanks, looking for an angled spotter though

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’m a fan of the 16-48 Razor. Doing a comparison with it and things 3-4 times it’s $$ in a few weeks. I’ll let you know how far short it falls.

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
I had an Athlon Cronus 12-36x50 and found the eye relief to be too tight for me. I got a refurbished Razor Gen 2 off Sierra.com for 800

OP
M

maine

FNG
I’m a fan of the 16-48 Razor. Doing a comparison with it and things 3-4 times it’s $$ in a few weeks. I’ll let you know how far short it falls.
I'm interested in the comparison, please do!

Firehawk

WKR
I preferred both the Cabelas Krotos (Athlon Ares) and the Maven CS.1 to the Gen 1 65 Razor. But it was "picking fly crap out of chili" quite honestly. I could have been happy with any of them. I did like the dual focus of the Razor better. But the Maven and Krotos were sharper in their image. I had the Krotos and if it hadn't have taken a crap and died (objective lens came loose and would spin. Dust inside afterward of course), I would likely still be using it. But Cabelas struggled taking care of "their" branded warranty items and left me in a lurch. That is when I bought the Maven. Eventually, Cabelas made it right, but the "damage" was already done. Sold the replacement Krotos. Funny thing, if it had been the Athlon branded spotter, Athlon would have warrantied it without hesitation. Just like Vortex and Maven would have. Haven't bought much of anything from Cabelas since.

For $600, I would buy the Athlon Ares from Doug and have some money left over. Or find a "used" Maven in the classifieds. They are regularly $550-$600 in there. I sold my Maven last fall for similar money so I could move to a "straight" spotter. Works better in that configuration for me and my style. When I bought the Maven, they didn't have the option. I thought I would get used to angled. I didn't. Have a straight version on the way to me right now.

FH

Looking for a spotter in the 15-45 range. I consistently see these going for ~$600 on the classifieds. The Athlon Ares Gen II UHD 15-45 also peaked my interest. These two spotters seem to punch above their price range, and was curious if there were others I am unaware of.
I had the Vortex Razor in that size for a long time. I bought the Maven CS.1A to compare it to my razor. One hunting trip is all it took for me to put the Razor on the classifieds here. The weight difference and edge to edge clarity were better in the Maven. I'm still using the Maven and really enjoy it for what it is.

fmyth

WKR
This seller is a member/sponsor here:
Hard to beat for $695.99.

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using the Ares and have no complaints so far. I was able to get it off a fellow rokslider for a good price

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you'd like an amazing deal, close to your price range, look at the Revic Acura 65A Spotting Scope - Open Box for only $1,099.99
Features:
  • Fixed magnification 18X reticle eyepiece
  • Included variable magnification 22-45X eyepiece
  • Included carry/travel case
  • Neoprene scope cover
  • Eyepiece cap covers
  • Integrated sunshade
  • Windage and elevation correction reticle
  • Spotting grid
  • MOA ranging scale
  • MIL ranging scale
  • 65mm objective
  • Extra low dispersion glass
  • Enhanced multi layered anti-reflection coating
  • Anti-fog coating
  • Anti-scratch coating
  • Phase correction coating
  • Weight: 54 Ounces
    • Objective Lens: 43 Ounces
    • Fixed Eyepiece: 11 Ounces
    • Varable Zoom Eyepiece: 12 Ounces

tracker12

WKR
Trying to decide on a spotter at this point is just so tuff. Problem is we are comparing a bunch or foreign manufactured products that may be made by the same manufacture with different specs and design. I use a spotter vary rarely in the field. Once a year and have hard time investing $2500 in a spotter. Give me performance at a $1000 and Im in.

Grab a beverage of your choice and take a look here:

Pad your budget a bit to take advantage of killer deals (ex: NIB Kowa 55x for under $1200) or used spotters that normally are much higher in price.

OP
M

maine

FNG
Ended up going with the Athlon ares from the classifieds, can always upgrade to the kowa later on but I’m confident this is more than I need