Is the xtherm sleeping pad noisy?

nebhunt

WKR
I was at Cabelas to check out some sleeping pads in person today and they had several thermarest pads . One air pad was very loud the other was quiet. They didn't have an xtherm to try.

Shraggs

WKR
I have xtherm and find it is a little, not like the xlite tho!

Put a bag on it and less, and less yet with a quilt. Thought it would bother me, but hadn’t in real world exhausted state...

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Its a little crinkly but I think it breaks in a tad also. It hasn't been bothersome to me. I will advise get one oversized, I have the larger mummy one, I forget exactly but it's like 6'6" long and 27" wide or something like that. I'm 6' and initially found the regular mummy at something like 6' and 21" too easily to slip off and it affected my sleep. I switched to the larger one and have slept better.

Some of us sleep light. I had an XTherm and thought it was ridiculously noisy. Sold it after one extended trip. My friend invited a guy to hunt with him, and the guy brought an XTherm. My friend said that was one very noisy pad and he was pretty tired of hearing every move and turn during those 10 nights. Nice design and comfortable, but not a chance I'll ever buy another or anything similar.

Mosby

WKR
I am going to buy another pad before fall and I have been looking at different insulated pads, including the XTherm. After looking around, I haven't found another pad that competes with the Xtherm for warmth rating and weight. You have to add quite a bit of weight to reduce the noise and get a similar or better R rating. That said, if the noise constantly wakes you up, you are probably better off with a different pad. I am going to be using my Xlite on an upcoming scouting trip. I did notice the noise last fall when sleeping on my Xlite but I just accepted it and went back to sleep. I am going to use it for another week and try to determine how much the noise affects my sleep, before I buy another pad(Thermarest). It really is an individual decision.

LaHunter

WKR
What other option is there for a pad that compares to the xtherm but is quiet?
I bought a Big Agnes Q-Core Deluxe and have only used it 1 night. Very comfortable & quiet. Also, my bag doesn't slide off of it at all. Downside is that it is heavier. Also, I have read mixed reviews on the durability of this pad.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My Big Agnes Q-core leaked the second time I used it. Sent it back and they sent me a new one. The new one leaked the first time I filled it up. Sent it back and they sent me a new one, which I promptly sold, then bought an Xtherm. The Xtherm has been flawless for the past 5 years.

Wrongside

WKR
I bought the Xtherm XL last year, for my cold weather pad. It replaced a Downmat that delaminated and Exped wasn't interested in warrantying. (guaranteed they'll never see a cent from me in the future)

Brand new, the Xtherm is quieter than some of my other NeoAir mats. None of them were so loud as to be an issue for me, plus I've found they all get less crinkly with use. I'm really happy with the Xtherm. Warm, comfortable and roomy.

Mosby

WKR
What other option is there for a pad that compares to the xtherm but is quiet?
There are other pads as warm or warmer but they all weigh more. Others are more comfortable. Xtherm is hard to beat for R value and weight. Comfort and noise issues are different considerations that create an imperfect solution.

My xtherm was just a little crinkly right out of the box.
Now it's as quiet as anything else.