Is there a break-in period for Kifaru packs?

JG358

WKR
I wouldnt really say a break in period, more of tweaking period. Mine took me a couple weeks to get everything just right.

Where is the strap digging in?

Last edited:

JG358

WKR
On top of my trap.

Try raising the shoulder straps(lengthen the torso adjustment straps under your lumbar pad) and load lifters a little bit higher. Should help to reduce strap contact on your trap. I set mine up so the shoulderstrap doesnt touch until my clavical.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't really think the shoulder straps should place any weight, or at the most very little weight on your traps. I think you need to adjust the length for a better fit. I prefer a small gap between the top of my traps and the bottom of the straps where they go over your shoulder/trap area. That way when it is loaded down, they just barely touch and most of the weight is transferred down on my hips.

Lawnboi

WKR
One side hurts but not the other? Maybe one of your shoulders sits higher than the other, or the suspension is just a hair off. Regarless play around with the suspension, learn how the pack works, load it up, and try different things till you find what you like.

Make sure your squeezing that belt very tight!

If you are worried about the pack riding on your butt its obviously too long in the torso for ya. Shorten up the suspension and you should be able to keep that weight off your shoulders.

Mike

slim9300

WKR
Ya see I have no-ass-syndrone so I gotta have shoulder contact. Thanks everyone!

I thought the same thing with my Timberline until I realized I couldn't wear it like every other pack I have had. I have zero ass myself. I'm 6' 2" and 175 lbs with a 21" torso. You need to watch the videos of Patrick and replicate what he is doing. I like the hip belt about 2" higher than he does (helps with having no ass) and then I did everything else exactly the same. This put the buckle just a tad over center on my belly button and the pads 2/3 over the points of my hips bones. (You will need to get used to the hip belt sucking in your stomach big time and seemingly limiting your "air.") Plus, I needed more curvature in the upper part of my stays to not get rubbing with a full pack on my shoulder blades. The DT I assume deals with barreling better though.

The most important things that Patrick says in the video: loosen all the straps (especially the load lifters) before you shoulder the pack. Next, get the shoulder straps tight and where you like them, then synch the hip belt down tight to the point that it feels like your hips and the pack are one. (see my notes above for my preferred hip belt placement) NOW, loosen the shoulder straps about 1" and THEN tighten up the 2 load lifter straps. This method took me some getting used to but it's far and away the most effective method to carry a pack there is. It will feel like there is basically zero pressure on the tops of your shoulders, decent pressure on your pecks and the load balancing on your hips. The load should feel like going from 50 lbs. pulling on your shoulders to 30 lbs. balancing on your hips. If you aren't using the pack like this you might as well return it in my opinion.

I am also guessing that you need to get the pack much higher in general. Mine came from Kifaru comfortable for light loads but way to low once loaded up.

Last edited:
OP
Brandon Pattison
If you are worried about the pack riding on your butt its obviously too long in the torso for ya. Shorten up the suspension and you should be able to keep that weight off your shoulders.

Mike

I took up about 1" of webbing on the shoulder strap adjustment which seemed to help.

slim9300

WKR
My suspension system is different. Under the lumbar pad is a matrix of locks and not the quick adjustment style as shown in the video. Do I have the new or the ols style?

Don't worry about how to adjust the system from the videos. I'm sure you can figure that out with a little practice. Just follow the mechanics of how he is wearing the packs and the steps he takes to do so. All Kifaru packs are designed to be worn the same way. (ie. hip belt adjustment and "tightening" protocol.)

One other thing I will mention as it sounds as if we are built similar... no asses and my shoulders are sloped more like a christmas tree than a square. I too am playing with my new T1 and noticed that the straps contact the inside portion of my traps more so than they do towards my shoulder muscle. Just play with the suspension and you'll find your sweet spot. I still haven't found my own but I will say that after a mile or so I didn't notice any uneven contact on my shoulders. That was more a factor with a light load I think and once you get some weight in the pack and a few miles on it, the straps will break in to your shoulder line OK.

Mike

JG358

WKR
My suspension system is different. Under the lumbar pad is a matrix of locks and not the quick adjustment style as shown in the video. Do I have the new or the ols style?

If each strap has a couple 3-bar sliders that lock together, you have the new style. Dont know that the old style frames are any different since I've never played with one.