Is there a lightweight windproof hoody or jacket?

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
I have FL mid and furnace tops. I want a lightweight wind layer that i can throw over the top of those before i have to bust out the solitude jacket. I have a peloton 240 that i thought might fill that need. Its decent but not like wow this is what im looking for. The pockets seem weird on the peloton and the zippers seem fragile. Havent experienced any issues but dont have confidence in them. Was looking at the corrugate guide jacket or klamath hoody. I need something quiet o bow hunt out of but the wind killed me this year. Guess Im getting more prone to it as I get older. Its tree stand hunting only. Id like something that can be worn early and mid season. Does this exist? Sitka have anything?

Chuck44

FNG
I think the Mountain Jacket is the current Sitka offering you are describing:

Previous items Sitka carried that fit this bill (if you can find them on resale) were the Jetstream Lite and the Flash Pullover.

I am by no means a Sitka fanboy, but I don't know of any other truly Windproof (non rain-shell) offerings from KUIU or First Lite.

Lumpy

FNG
How bout the Guide Jacket from Kuiu...I wear from Early September thru December and just layer under it if needed. Love it

Kotaman

WKR
How bout the Guide Jacket from Kuiu...I wear from Early September thru December and just layer under it if needed. Love it
The Guide jacket isn’t Windproof, nor is it lightweight. In fact it is made to breath while hiking. Sure, it will help with a breeze, but far from “windproof”. The Timberline would be great if you can find one. The Mountain is a good second option.

Hondo

WKR
A lightweight wind layer seems to be what the yet to be released First Lite Ridgeline QZ Pullover aims to be after perusing the FL 2020 Line preview. The highly compressible with a DWR finish and 4 way stretch features checks a lot of boxes for me in a lightweight wind layer. I'm anxious to learn the pricing and hear the reviews.

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
A lightweight windstopping breathable layer is something in my opinion most of the big hunting companies are missing. As someone who run all year round in Michigan I have found that one of my favorite pieces is the Arcteryx Incendo hooded running jacket. The performance was so good I began using it hunting and hiking as well. It has become one of my favorite pieces for mountain hunting layering as well at 4oz. Keeps the wind off your core but breathes extremely well for levels of higher activity. I have thrown it on early season whitetail stand hunting as well as it doesn’t make you sweat walking to your stand.

KyleR1985

WKR
I have the mountain jacket. That, with a lightweight merino base layer and a KOM wool shirtjac can get me down into the 30’s, and is very versatile. It wouldn’t be the worst thing if it had a hood, but I don’t mind wearing a separate hat of some sort.

If you’re going to be sweating hard enough that you’ll notice and be annoyed with the jacket it needs to be off anyway. Wait a few moments after exertion and let most of the moisture evaporate before tossing back on.

Sitka mountain jacket (no hood) or flash pull over. Even a jetstream is good. First lite corrugate or catalyst jacket are good too.

I wore the catalyst this year in early season and really liked it. It is not as warm or windproof as the jetstream but not a bulky either.

Gobbler36

WKR
I have FL mid and furnace tops. I want a lightweight wind layer that i can throw over the top of those before i have to bust out the solitude jacket. I have a peloton 240 that i thought might fill that need. Its decent but not like wow this is what im looking for. The pockets seem weird on the peloton and the zippers seem fragile. Havent experienced any issues but dont have confidence in them. Was looking at the corrugate guide jacket or klamath hoody. I need something quiet o bow hunt out of but the wind killed me this year. Guess Im getting more prone to it as I get older. Its tree stand hunting only. Id like something that can be worn early and mid season. Does this exist? Sitka have anything?
I think the Sitka nimbus would fit this need very well

Montero

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at the Arctyerx Squamish wind shrit/ jacket. It weighs like 4 or 5 oz and is a good highly wind resistant layer with a hoody.

I have a two KUIU Peloton 240 hoodys. Really like them and find them adequately tough, cut the wind to some degree, great fitting hood (on me) . Good jackets.

Last spring I won a Sitka Timberline hooded coat at a drawing at a sheep count. Didn't know what I'd do with it....well it is perfect for cross country skiing when it is super windy out on the river....we have a 4 km sandbar we ski on whenever the conditions allow. If its cold and windy I put the KUIU Peloton under it. The Timberline might be what you are looking for, but the list price in Canada was outrageous for what it is so I'd never have bought one. It also noisy fabric and does not replace rain gear even though it has a DWR finish.

Elkangle

WKR
Sitkas flash pullover and kelvin light hoodie shacket thing....

Both items are a no brainer

positivepete!

Lil-Rokslider
Cabelas space rain may work for what your looking for. It isn't going to withstand a bunch of abuse but it will block wind and keep you dry for the most part without adding a lot of bulk as a shell. And it is not a bank breaker either.

OP
J

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
Whoever suggested the new ridgeline qz from FL, I forgot all about that peice. It sounds really promising. Here is the description

When you need a light layer to cut mountaintop wind, reach for our Ridgeline Quarter-Zip Pullover. 4-way stretch, 37.5 nylon provides just the right amount of light weather protection without adding significant weight to your pack. Highly compressible, the new Ridgeline QZ fits easily into a hipbelt or pack pocket and features a DWR coating to repel light precipitation. The piece dries quickly and adds a layer of durability over a merino core while a deep chest zipper allows for effective venting on steep climbs and allows easy access to your bino harness. These features make the Ridgeline QZ Pullover just the ticket when the wind picks up, or you need some unexpected extra protection from the elements.

Now, Would that be better than the Guide jacket? Quieter or more noisy? Better than the Klamath? It might certainly be more versatile as it can be layered underneath more or less depending on temp. But so can the guide jacket. SO???

Napperm4

WKR
Look at the axis jacket vs the guide. It’s wind resistant and water proof in areas making them wind proof. I had mine out ice fishing on the weekend in a blizzard with 40 mph winds ( look up southern Alberta winds before calling bs) and didn’t feel a breath of wind come through it.

It’s not the quietest face fabric out there but it seems to be quieting down after some break in.