Is there a lightweight windproof hoody or jacket?

OP
J

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
Well I called first lite and was sold on the Ridgeline but wanted to confirm and the guy said it's made for higher temps and it's a single layer nylon. So alas search continues. Klamath or corrugate jacket are probably best bet. He even recommended the sawtooth vest but I'm not big on vests. I dunno.

Also I spoke with Sitka asking what products the recommended and this guy told me the stratus line was coming back after I've been told that it wasn't. He stated the stratus jacket was perfect. So I think it's down to corrugate jacket, Klamath or stratus.

Lowg08

WKR
I will tell you the Klamath is not going to work either. The wind cuts right through it. It has no windproof properties to it. I sold mine and went with the 240. I’ve been considering the mountain jacket myself or a stratus set

OP
J

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 240 and eh it's ok. Was hoping for more. I've read where Klamath seemed better? OMG this is crazy! Lol

Lowg08

WKR
I’m looking for a more windproof jacket to compliment the 240. I froze my butt off in the Klamath with a kiln under it in 40 with a 5mph breeze. The only saving grace was I carry a Sitka flash pullover. It does cut the wind but noisy as all get out. Yea. Please don’t buy the Klamath with intent on it stopping any wind

OP
J

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
Son of a bitch lol. Corrugate jacket? Or stratus? Stratus seems like it might be bulky and over kill?

Ah hell I just sold a Klamath with hopes of buying a 240 to have basically a wind resistant Klamath. Am I boned?

So you didn't find that that Klamath was wind resistant?

Not at all. In fact I’m sworn off expensive fleece all together. Unless it has some sort of branded, laminated, gore wind stopper etc layer, I’m just buying generic Columbia and the like for fleece from now on.

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
I have an OR Ferossi for this purpose. I always try to hunt with some wind blocking layer. I haven’t hunted in it yet but seems fo fit the niche you are looking for. All my other soft shells/ wind proof fleeces I sold because were too heavy or didn’t cut wind for active hunting in my opinion (FL Northbranch, Kuiu Guide, couple different cabelas brand w/ wind stopper).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
I just stepped outside with the peloton on over a t shirt. It's in the 30s, wind blowing about 10mph. Could immediately feel wind. Granted it was in my arms first but this was 10 seconds outside. After a couple minutes I felt it through thent shirt. Now I had some Russel athletic lounge pants type on my legs and felt warmer in my legs than with the peloton over t shirt.

Lowg08

WKR
I feel like the 240 works well as a wind resistant mid layer or outer layer on just chilly days. I have the cabelas Berber and it stops the wind but it’s so bulky and heavy. It fills up my 65 liter back pack

Voyageur

WKR
A lightweight windstopping breathable layer is something in my opinion most of the big hunting companies are missing. As someone who run all year round in Michigan I have found that one of my favorite pieces is the Arcteryx Incendo hooded running jacket. The performance was so good I began using it hunting and hiking as well. It has become one of my favorite pieces for mountain hunting layering as well at 4oz. Keeps the wind off your core but breathes extremely well for levels of higher activity. I have thrown it on early season whitetail stand hunting as well as it doesn’t make you sweat walking to your stand.
I have to agree with your statement. I'm currently searching for an anorak type wind coat to use for active winter activities i.e. snowshoeing, predator hunting, etc. I don't want it insulated...just something that cuts the wind. I have puffy jackets and fleece I can layer underneath when needed. The HPG Windcheater is on my shortlist as are garments from Wintergreen and Empire Canvas. Agree with those who suggest some of the non-hunting clothing brands. I've found some promising garments with these big name companies and am calling their customer service lines this morning.

OP
J

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
I just wonder how loud those non hunting jackets are. Guess could layer over them.

smith406

FNG
Another vote for the OR Ferrosi. I also keep a Patagonia Hoodini around, not a great outer layer but weighs nothing and packs up small.

fatlander

WKR
If you’re treestand hunting, and considering anything besides the Sitka stratus, I’ve got some ocean front property to sell you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk