Is there a lightweight windproof hoody or jacket?

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion truly wind"proof" and breathable are not going to coexist. You can find very wind resistant jackets, but finding something that is:

-lightweight
-windproof
-breathable

Is just not realistic. Science just dictates that you have to make some sacrifices in different categories. So you can give a lot in one area or a little in each. Generally the major sacrifice is in breathable the more windproof you get.

I've always found sacrificing breathability is best, and for that I will take the sitka mountain/jetstream as my first option. With the pit zips I find its easiest to increase breathability when needed, but generally I'm one of two things:

1. Needing completely windproof since I am stationary
2. Needing breathability because I am on the move

If I am somewhere in between, I find the Jetstream JUST breathable enough I don't get too hot or take on too much wind.

OP
J

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
Im really finding out that stratus maybe my best bet. I really wanted a fusion camo top but seems like the stratus is a more solid choice

Voyageur

WKR
I just wonder how loud those non hunting jackets are. Guess could layer over them.
For treestand hunting with my bow I haven't really found anything to replace hunting specific clothing.That being said for other types of hunting and all other outdoor activities I'm slowly acquiring more and more "mainstream" clothing. If you buy it at the end of the season, winter summer, etc. you can find some fantastic clearance prices.

Bbrinks

FNG
One more vote for the OR ferrosi. It’s not wind proof but does a great job of cutting the wind, is fairly lightweight and has great breathability. The mushroom color is also pretty hunting-friendly

Lowg08

WKR
The Patagonia is something you can only find on eBay. They are milspec and discontinued

Jimss

WKR
It was mentioned a couple times but a fantastic relatively light outer hoody is a rain jacket with pitzips. Both Sitka and Kuiu make several models. I almost always have a rain jacket with me all summer and fall in high alpine country. Rain jackets cut wind super well....and are great to have along when things get wet!

Another layer that cuts wind very well is a vest. Vests offer excellent ventilation and are possible to use as an outer or inner layer. There are an incredible number of combos to use with a base layer, vest, rain jacket, and medium weight jacket. I hunt Wyoming on an annual basis where the WIND HOWLS and have had great success with the layers listed above.

If you want great ventilation look for jackets with pitzips. I hardly buy any jackets any more without pitzips!

OP
J

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
What vest? I was thinking about stratus jacket with a fanatic vest since the only vest from FL is sawtooth and apparently it isn't wind resistant. They are coming out with catalyst and Brooks down but I'm not sure how much different the catalyst will be vs sawtooth and the brooks.down is all insulation.

Ive had the flash pullover from sitka. Its been bombproof over the past couple of seasons for passing rain/weather. Its definintely not meant for Alaska but hunting elk in sept. its been outstanding. Also blocks wind 100%.

Jimss

WKR
I like the fanatic vest because it is super quiet, dries fast, and pretty warm in cold weather. Most of the other vests I looked at had relatively noisy outer material and likely wouldn't hold up very well in brush. The Fanatic also had a nice hand warming pouch plus a fairly large pocket.

OP
J

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
That's probably the closest thing I've seen. Is it loud? Like I said earlier guess it could be layered over with something

All the Sitka dealers have discounted the Jetstream to ~$260 so I picked one up. It’ll be here Monday. Hopefully it’s what I’m after. Had to hunt around for a solid in my size but was able to find a black one.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have a Rab wind shirt designed for runners that is a couple of oz or so. Bought it on sale for $20 or so. Packs down to nothing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Are you wanting insulated and wind blocking ? The Stratus does that in spades. Is it lightweight? No.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk