Is there any real danger of an overly high pressure following book loads?

I have been pretty cautious with charge weight because all I hear is about watch out for pressure. I have been looking at some load data and many loads listed as max are compressed loads. Add in the under max loads that are still 90% or more on load density and it looks like most loads are quite high on listed load density. So, how dangerous is it really to start at the high end or max listed load? It doesnt really seem like anyone is going to blow up a gun if you are reasonable and not seriously compacting powder into a case.

Edit: I changed the title to be a little more clear. I know that real high pressure can be dangerous. My question is more along the lines of if I am using the book listed max am I really pushing the safe/unsafe line. I got to thinking about this from the post by Formidilosus where the first thing he did was load one up at book max and shoot it to see if there was over pressure signs.

Last edited:

archp625

WKR
You never know until you know. I'm not willing to risk my rifle and or my body parts. I always start low and work my way up to find pressure. Everyone has there definition of pressure. Some people don't ever way to see a swipe some say run it.

There are many factors that can add to pressure but I normally start at mid loads and work up. Also I like a load density of 100% or close to it. Another common misconception is that a compressed load automatically equals max/over pressure. A lot of factors play into this as well. I have some loads that fill the case to the neck shoulder junction and slightly crush powder when seating and they shoot lights out and not over pressured.

JRMiller

WKR
The answer is yes, it is dangerous.
And we should not have discussions on a public forum that can be construed in possibly different ways and people get hurt.
HIGH PRESSURE IS UNSAFE
Period

The answer is yes, it is dangerous.
And we should not have discussions on a public forum that can be construed in possibly different ways and people get hurt.
HIGH PRESSURE IS UNSAFE
Period
Anyone taking a load off the internet and trusting it and loading it shouldn’t be reloading anyway. As always start lower and work up for your given rifle.

woods89

WKR
I should probably keep my mouth shut, and will probably get in over my waders here, but.......

Does anyone have any examples of either catastrophic damage to an action or injury to the shooter with a load that was within book values, without something else being awry?

A few years ago Defensive Edge tested one of their actions by loading progressively heavier loads of pistol powder in a 300 WM case and firing them via a string from some distance. It runs in my mind that they got close to 200,000 PSI before the action was dimensionally changed. Obviously they were a long ways past sticky bolt lift and ejector swipe. If I remember right the last few rounds had to have the action beat open, before they got to where it didn't function anymore. Now I probably wouldn't expect a R700 action to go as far as one of their actions, but modern actions are quite strong.

I'm not saying you shouldn't use caution and common sense, and I'm not necessarily advocating not working up, but without something else being wrong I just have a hard time believing you are going to put yourself in danger by shooting one round at book max to check for pressure signs.

Educate me!

wapitibob

WKR
I start at or just below max. I just loaded some at 2 grains over max and the only pressure sign I saw or felt initially was a little heavier bolt lift. Later I felt the primer pockets were a bit looser than what I normally feel so I backed it down to get more brass and barrel life. A cpl hundred fps isn't going to kill any deader.

sndmn11

WKR
I had a booboo this year and learned how to get a 25-06 Tikka to fling a 100gr e-tip at over 3700fps.
Screenshot_20211027-180636.png

I had a "moment" and read that data as 59.1gr, so I loaded a grain and a half below to a grain above; 57.6 to 60.1, in half grain increments. The first shot of the string was at over 3700fps and I thought might have been a Chrono mistake because it came out ok. The second was pretty stuck and the primer popped. Nothing was hurt and the final load ended up being 54.8 I think.

I can't imagine a company would take on the liability of listing data that had the potential to be genuinely dangerous in the weakest example of a firearm in the cartridge.

tdot

WKR
I'm a fan of starting a ladder test at the low side of the midpoint of the book value. Work up in 1 grain increments until I find pressure. Usually 5-7 rounds. I also like to find atleast 2-3 similar loads and have a comparison prior to setting a start weighyI'm ok with burning a few extra dollars in components to give me an added margin of safety. I've been reloading for 8 years or so and I don't feel like I'm even close to judging a book max load as safe or reasonable.

I've personally seen a bolt be completely locked up from a book load that was just below max. The load had been proofed in one brand of brass; replacement brass was a different brand and different enough that the first shot locked up the rifle and required a gunsmith to disassemble and repair the rifle. It ruined a hunt for my Father-in-law, but could have been a heck of alot worse.

gbflyer

WKR
I have had 2 over pressure events with AA2520 powder. One in .308 and the other in 7-08. Both were below max per manufacturers load data. To be fair the powder was in excess of 25 years old. I dumped the rest of it. Before that I considered max loads just a suggestion. Age and experience have changed my practices.

TheGDog

WKR
It was actually factory loads…military. I don’t think he ever figured out what happened, but it’s worth the watch.
He said some of those old AP rounds he could tell the one that broke the gun was WAY hotter then the others in that batch he'd gone thru already.

Rich M

WKR
Each gun responds to loads differently. The only way to know if to work up your loads. Jumping to max load could be real dangerous.

rayporter

WKR
no two rifles are ever built the same. every one is different than the one before it. reamers wear and each chamber is smaller than the one before it. [until a new reamer is needed]

yes, you can use headspace gauges to get the chamber length equal to the previous one but that does not account for the throat. the throat gets smaller with every use of the reamer.

this is just one example of how each rifle needs it own load work up.

and this does not account for mistakes .........

I've had one batch of ammo that blew a few primers (hot weather shooting service rifle) and another with pierced primers and then a case head separation. No injury or damage, but definitely attention getting lol.

Pro953

WKR
If you shoot at a public range, please consider that you are also putting the folks shooting next to you at risk.

Yes it costs some time and money but I like my eyesight and fingers a bit too much to risk it. Reloading has enough risk, no need to though caution to the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My berger manual data for 300 norma was too hot on the starting load and I know most others had the same results. In that case, internet data was safer than book data. So i don't put full trust in the book and gather data from multiple sources.

Last edited: