Is there hope for Meateater?

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know what happened to Meateater but clearly it took a turn for the political. I would have to assume there is major pressure from the media group.

These ultra liberal media companies seem to think the only way to make money is go co completely “Woke”. Even in the face of media Juggernaut’s like Rogan and Adam Carolla.

After the last podcast there’s no denying it anymore. It had absolutely nothing to do with hunting. Was simply pushing the racism agenda.

BUT…..

On the other hand they did replace Ben O’Brien who I’m not 100% isn’t a vegan anti hunter in disguise. I’m all for open dialogue but Ben seemed to agree with and side with the vegans and anti-hunters.

With Clay Newcomb is an incredible asset to their team. He’s a true hunter that has a great understand of the history and traditions that make this life style important. He reminds me of pre-corporate Rinella.

Maybe just maybe they have finally seen the writing on the wall and are going to take a turn towards what made them successful originally. Clay could be a screaming wokester, im not sure but his conservation views are spot on. That’s all that matters to me.

I’m hopeful.

Last edited:
Meateater appears to be trying to bridge the gap between the hunting and non hunting community. I'm all for it, we need all the help we can get for the future of hunting/fishing. In doing this, they are trying to deliver a more broadly appealing message. Our strategy going forward needs to be this. The numbers in this fight are not in our favor so if we do not change our strategy and make an effort to bridge the gap with our opposition, we lose. That writing is clearly on the wall.

That said, I haven't listened to any "new" meateater podcast so I cannot backup or oppose anything recently stated.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Do what I do, don't listen to MeatEater.

I opened this expecting a discussion about if MeatEater was becoming the next Bass Pro Shops and destroying brands they buy. If you had titled it something like 'Will MeatEater stop the wok shenanigans now that they don't have a closet vegan on staff' I would have scrolled on past and left this to the Rinella fanboys as it would have been clear this has nothing to do with hunting (ironic considering one of the charges the OP makes against the MeatEater podcast). It goes along with the irony of the 'wake up to the problem of woksterism' tone of the whole thing.

I think I've listened to one of his podcasts and they're just not my cup of tea. However I do think the MeatEater brand is performing a necessary task of reaching out to nonhunters to either get into hunting or at least better understand hunting. Decades of grip-and-grin TV hunters have really screwed up the public's perception of hunters and someone has to work to correct that given we become more and more outnumbered by them every year.

ODB

WKR
I think I've listened to one of his podcasts and they're just not my cup of tea. However I do think the MeatEater brand is performing a necessary task of reaching out to nonhunters to either get into hunting or at least better understand hunting. Decades of grip-and-grin TV hunters have really screwed up the public's perception of hunters and someone has to work to correct that given we become more and more outnumbered by them every year.

Sorry, but do you think grip and grins have decreased since hunting has hit this meteoric rise? Don’t think so; there are more than ever.

One thing annoying about this new kinder, gentler approach is the return of Victorian-era writing re: hunting and the outdoors cia the new crop of writers. Everyone is trying to be so “thoughtful” by faux mystical stories about subjects that are so hard to quantify they can only be alluded to, never really grasped or explained well. These vague, circuitous stories have the aesthetic of depth but are as weighty as a cloud.

dtrkyman

WKR
Clay Newcomb is a definite step in the right direction, though i think they are doing fine. Not a fan of Mark Kenyon at all but enjoy most of their content and think Steve is a huge asset to hunters in general.

Clay was on Rogan recently, I do not have spotify so just see clips on youtube.

OP
Scooter90254

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
Meateater appears to be trying to bridge the gap between the hunting and non hunting community. I'm all for it, we need all the help we can get for the future of hunting/fishing. In doing this, they are trying to deliver a more broadly appealing message. Our strategy going forward needs to be this. The numbers in this fight are not in our favor so if we do not change our strategy and make an effort to bridge the gap with our opposition, we lose. That writing is clearly on the wall.

That said, I haven't listened to any "new" meateater podcast so I cannot backup or oppose anything recently stated.
That’s exactly my point.

Meateater and Rinella himself have done the best job of bringing the gap in decades. Actually bringing millions of people to appreciate hunting or at least not see every hunters as Elmer Fudd.

It was apparent that in the last year the company was no longer on that mission.

But then again recent actions seem to be moving back in the direction of putting hunting in a positive light.

I guess Remi is the last frontier. If his next podcast is a lesson in critical race theory like Meateater’s was then we will know it’s officially jumped the shark. Lmao

Sorry, but do you think grip and grins have decreased since hunting has hit this meteoric rise? Don’t think so; there are more than ever.
There may be but I'm certainly not seeing them as much. I think there are a few hunters who have shown the TV hunter industry that people like more substance to what they're watching. It's no different than late night talk shows dying as podcasts blow up in popularity. People want longer form content that's more in depth.

I don't listen to the MeatEater podcast but I certainly like the show. I also really love Randy Newberg's show too. I believe they (and some Youtubers actually) are the future of hunting content and it's heading in the same direction as a lot of other content (like podcasts as previously mentioned). I quite like the shift.

That’s exactly my point.

Meateater and Rinella himself have done the best job of bringing the gap in decades. Actually bringing millions of people to appreciate hunting or at least not see every hunters as Elmer Fudd.

It was apparent that in the last year the company was no longer on that mission.

But then again recent actions seem to be moving back in the direction of putting hunting in a positive light.

I guess Remi is the last frontier. If his next podcast is a lesson in critical race theory like Meateater’s was then we will know it’s officially jumped the shark. Lmao
Sounds like we are on the same page. I haven't followed them that closely lately. I appreciate any hunter who displays the outdoors in a positive light and also a light that doesn't deter someone looking in from the outside. I saw alot of this new trendy "whitetail selfie" crap on social media last year (not sure if you've seen any) but dumb stuff like that hurts us worse than anything. I get some people find it funny but it makes us look stupid in my opinion and goes right along with the Elmer Fudd image.

Politics, especially racial identity politics don’t need interjected into everything. But, that’s what commies do. I’ll have to listen to Meat Esters latest podcast and if it’s taken a turn to the commie, Rinella is finally completely dead to me. #sad

There may be but I'm certainly not seeing them as much. I think there are a few hunters who have shown the TV hunter industry that people like more substance to what they're watching. It's no different than late night talk shows dying as podcasts blow up in popularity. People want longer form content that's more in depth.

I don't listen to the MeatEater podcast but I certainly like the show. I also really love Randy Newberg's show too. I believe they (and some Youtubers actually) are the future of hunting content and it's heading in the same direction as a lot of other content (like podcasts as previously mentioned). I quite like the shift.
Slowly lost interest in MeatEater over the years. I do like the show. Podcast not so much.
Newberg: absolutely!!

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have a lot of skin in the game here, but really didn’t see how this was “commie stuff”

Are we so anti -woke that we can’t listen to the history of hunting in black culture? That’s really all it was, I certainly didn’t see any hidden agenda like the rockslide community so often seems to be able to find.

Last edited:

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
Clay Newcomb is a definite step in the right direction, though i think they are doing fine. Not a fan of Mark Kenyon at all but enjoy most of their content and think Steve is a huge asset to hunters in general.

Clay was on Rogan recently, I do not have spotify so just see clips on youtube.
You can listen to Rogan with the free version of spotify if that's what's holding you back.

I don’t have a lot of skin in the game here, but really didn’t see how this was “commie stuff”

Are we so anti -woke that we can’t listen to the history of hunting in black culture? That’s really all it was, I certainly didn’t see any hidden agenda like the rockslide community so often seems to be able to find.
I'm anti-contrived, political agendas being thrown non-stop into my face. It's not the subject matter that's the issue, it's that its fashionable and politically expedient, lacking in sincerity. It's everywhere and is used to manipulate you in many different contexts. In a different context they could be discussing "the hunting history of the proletariat and how the bourgeoisie suppressed their ability to do so." Critical theory is just the repackaged toxic Marxism of the post-modernist Mensheviks that fled to the West when Lenin seized power. They first went to Germany, then setup shop in the US. This BS can be traced from sellout Rinella, all the way back to the Bolshevik Revolution, easily. The problem is, everyone sits around consuming superficial garbage like the MeatEater podcasts instead of reading books.

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
I'm anti-contrived, political agendas being thrown non-stop into my face. It's not the subject matter that's the issue, it's that its fashionable and politically expedient, lacking in sincerity. It's everywhere and is used to manipulate you in many different contexts. In a different context they could be discussing "the hunting history of the proletariat and how the bourgeoisie suppressed their ability to do so." Critical theory is just the repackaged toxic Marxism of the post-modernist Mensheviks that fled to the West when Lenin seized power. They first went to Germany, then setup shop in the US. This BS can be traced from sellout Rinella, all the way back to the Bolshevik Revolution, easily. The problem is, everyone sits around consuming superficial garbage like the MeatEater podcasts instead of reading books.
Hold on- I gotta go make my tin foil hat before I read this.

You'll be devastated to hear that he also writes books.