Is there hope for Meateater?

ODB

WKR
If I find a wallet, I would return it to the owner. If I find cash on the ground on public land, or an arrowhead, what am I supposed to do? Maybe self flagellate?

I've learned a good bit today from this thread, including a word that I will not only have to look up, but get an audio to know how to say it.

I have some artifacts my great uncle found in his corn field in NC. When he found large hatchet heads and unique pieces he gave them to a local museum. Eventually he found so many the museum told him to keep them, they had enough already. This museum had an Indian component to it. One of the things he gave me was a small stone with a depression in it. I believe it is called a Chunkey stone and was from a game Indians played where they would roll the stone and the opponent would have to throw a spear closest to the stone. He also gave me what looks like a baked pendant from a necklace. He found arrowheads by the coffee can. Each till of the soil would upturn new ones.

there is a part of me that knows when an Indian found something that was not his
But was useful, say a broken arrowhead or knife, they would take it and rework it to make it useful again. I think they slept well regarding that kind of behaviour. If we fast forward, Indians did not eschew taking guns and clothes off the soldiers they killed, did they?

Here they are. Hard to see the little dimple in the top of the stone.
6D5BBCDE-F0C1-4181-BD31-5290DE79649C.jpeg

4358C97D-DC17-4095-BD3B-4815DFCD9280.jpeg

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
I have some artifacts my great uncle found in his corn field in NC. When he found large hatchet heads and unique pieces he gave them to a local museum. Eventually he found so many the museum told him to keep them, they had enough already. This museum had an Indian component to it. One of the things he gave me was a small stone with a depression in it. I believe it is called a Chunkey stone and was from a game Indians played where they would roll the stone and the opponent would have to throw a spear closest to the stone. He also gave me what looks like a baked pendant from a necklace. He found arrowheads by the coffee can. Each till of the soil would upturn new ones.

there is a part of me that knows when an Indian found something that was not his
But was useful, say a broken arrowhead or knife, they would take it and rework it to make it useful again. I think they slept well regarding that kind of behaviour. If we fast forward, Indians did not eschew taking guns and clothes off the soldiers they killed, did they?

Here they are. Hard to see the little dimple in the top of the stone.
View attachment 306988

View attachment 306989
Wow - those are pretty cool!

Gobbler36

WKR
Personally, I am a big fan of redemption. I have to give it to Rinella as being the person that got me into backpack hunting...not me but my Dad...it was his idea, not mine...Back when Rinella was on the outdoor channel.

If MeatEater wants my future patronage, I would like to see them do a series on the efficacy of using AR platforms for hunting things like coyotes, hogs, and javelinas.

The same could be said for Newberg, although not hamstrung like Rinella, I don't recall ever seeing a series from him on that issue either.

I would also like to see Stone-Manning disavow the eco-terrorist group that she formerly belonged to, and BHA to come out against wolf reintroductions and supporting hound hunting for predators.

I don't see any of the above ever happening and that, my friends, is the problem at hand.
Couldn’t of said it any better myself, I tuned out a few months back. Not nearly the podcast it was when he wasn’t sucking the tit of a liberal media chain. I refuse to think that dwelling on past sins is a way to move forward, but to all you hippie “woke” hunters eat your heart out of it makes you feel like your “in” now

If MeatEater wants my future patronage, I would like to see them do a series on the efficacy of using AR platforms for hunting things like coyotes, hogs, and javelinas.

The same could be said for Newberg, although not hamstrung like Rinella, I don't recall ever seeing a series from him on that issue either.

You’re in luck, because Steve now owns an AR-15

Link to Rinella’s instagram

OP
Scooter90254

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
Well, it’s officially. Had a full on anti-hunter on this week that was in love with a Fox. Sounds like she let the Fox breed her.

Good news Steve seems to be fighting with the guest at this point. He almost triggered her when he said something about humans not being harem animals. Could hear her say under her breath something. And he dared to defend the bald eagle.

Well, it’s officially. Had a full on anti-hunter on this week that was in love with a Fox. Sounds like she let the Fox breed her.

Good news Steve seems to be fighting with the guest at this point. He almost triggered her when he said something about humans not being harem animals. Could hear her say under her breath something. And he dared to defend the bald eagle.
Man that guest was rough, both Cal and Janis had moments where they were close to getting into it with her too, then there would be an obvious editing cut and everyone would be back on topic. I made it about halfway through before I quit

fwafwow

WKR
Man that guest was rough, both Cal and Janis had moments where they were close to getting into it with her too, then there would be an obvious editing cut and everyone would be back on topic. I made it about halfway through before I quit
I nearly dozed off

ODB

WKR

There was an actual, tension-filled conversation where hunting was defended?

There was an actual, tension-filled conversation where hunting was defended?
I dont think she was an anti-hunter (she talked about having hunted quite a bit) but she was definitely a flower girl hippy who really liked anthropomorphizing animals. Most of the tension with Janis and Cal came from that (example: she said falcons and hawks were “talented” “ferocious” and “skilled” whereas eagles are “bad hunters” because they throw their weight around, scavenge, and steal kills. I definitely got vibes of “bald eagles have a bad survival strategy because I don’t consider it brave and honorable”). With Rinella the main tension was that she claimed humans were harem breeders by nature instead of monogamists, even though that’s very much open for debate and after Rinella brought up a good rebuttal that it doesn’t make sense to be harem breeders since the human “rut” is literally year-round.
Edit to add: I only made it halfway through the podcast though so I may have missed even more awkward tension

woods89

WKR
I didn't make it that far. Carmen Van Bianchi was a very interesting guest, and then it just took a nosedive when they moved on to Ms. Raven.

Interested in where to find those 180 gr 270 bullets she talked about......

I suppose that complaining about free content is pretty first world, though. I'm also pretty sure they keep track of the metrics and if enough people shut it off partway through it influences future selections.

Some of the last few guests have been interesting, but I'm about ready to hear from some big game hunter again. There have been some really good ones in the past, the one with Randy Newberg early on, a couple with Kurt Racicot, the hunting dog one with Ed Arnett and Ronny Boehme. I think they're struggling to keep fresh content going out.

I'd love to see them bring someone on with knowledge of fire, and have a discussion of how fire is going to affect hunting going forward.

ODB

WKR
I didn't make it that far. Carmen Van Bianchi was a very interesting guest, and then it just took a nosedive when they moved on to Ms. Raven.

Interested in where to find those 180 gr 270 bullets she talked about......

I suppose that complaining about free content is pretty first world, though. I'm also pretty sure they keep track of the metrics and if enough people shut it off partway through it influences future selections.

Some of the last few guests have been interesting, but I'm about ready to hear from some big game hunter again. There have been some really good ones in the past, the one with Randy Newberg early on, a couple with Kurt Racicot, the hunting dog one with Ed Arnett and Ronny Boehme. I think they're struggling to keep fresh content going out.

I'd love to see them bring someone on with knowledge of fire, and have a discussion of how fire is going to affect hunting going forward.

Yes. Increasing the horizontal topics has diluted the primary topic most of us got on board with in the first place. All that content drives good clicks, but dunno, I’m less and less interested and I sense a lot are too.

OldGrayJB

WKR
The most interesting part of that episode was the game warden story. That makes me want to hear more from wardens.

fwafwow

WKR
Did anyone hear the brand of horse hide leather strop that Ed Ashby recommended on the last episode?