Is there something up with the 6.5x284?

I have been looking for 300 mag brass and have noticed that a lot of people are selling off the 6.5x284 dies, brass, ect. Is there a big shift that is going away from this round. When I finish my 300 mag build that was going to be my next project. Anyone have any insight on this?

Last edited:

Whisky

WKR
6.5 SAUM trend maybe???

Or guys are possibly jumping up to 7mm's or down to 6mm's, depending on the applications. Hard to say.

Shrek

WKR
I think what you are seeing is that there are a lot of 6.5x284's out there now so there is a bigger market and then the early adopters are moving on to other leading edge wildcats like the 6.5 saum. The 6.5x284 has gone mainstream and did so from the bottom up, grass roots, based on performance. I don't think it's going away like some manufacturer gimmick round.

OP
fire arrow
I hope not. I have been able to fire a few different rifles in this caliber and I liked it for a long range deer rifle. I know guys are using them on elk, but I would like to build one for a long range deer rifle. Would be nice to not have the front shoulders on my deer completely destroyed.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I just read somewhere this is one of the fastest growing cartridges in die sales. I don't think it is going anywhere.

OP
fire arrow
For deer/antelope/sheep is this caliber a solid 1000 yard rifle with the right bullet and load, or more like a 700 yard rifle?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I think it is perfect for those animals out to around 1000 yds.
I built a 6.5-06 Ackley just for a long range deer rifle. I'll have over 1000 ft lbs of energy at 1000 yds with a 140 grain VLD.