is there still demand for SLC 10x42? are they still relevant?

kaku3428

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a pair of SLC 10x42 from cabelas recently. I was surprised by the optics and low light performance. I already have EL8.5x42, EL12x50 and SLC15x56. Should i keep them or get rid of them ? will they appreciate in value or lose value as they are discontinued?
if you suggest i should get rid of them, will $1500 be a good price ?

morgaj1

WKR
I picked up a pair of SLC 10x42 from cabelas recently. I was surprised by the optics and low light performance. I already have EL8.5x42, EL12x50 and SLC15x56. Should i keep them or get rid of them ? will they appreciate in value or lose value as they are discontinued?
if you suggest i should get rid of them, will $1500 be a good price ?

Pleasantly surprised by the low light performance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
kaku3428

kaku3428

Lil-Rokslider
Pleasantly surprised by the low light performance?

oh yes. 45 mins past sun set i was able to see through dark forest and pickup individual branches and see the ground through the branches.

They are still a great binocular. Folks will be using them and they will enjoy high resale value for years to come. You asked if they’ll appreciate In value - likely not, as both Swarovski and Zeiss currently offer better binos than the SLCs. The end of SLC production does create a bit of a void as it was widely considered the entry point into a true Alpha Glass. I‘m excited to see what comes out in the next few years as many manufacturers will be targeting the SLCs target market, including Swarovski.

Moserkr

WKR
Got mine 1.5 years ago for $1250 new and couldnt be happier, especially now that they are discontinued. They have their place for sure but im curious what swaro will replace them with if at all. I wouldnt let mine go but the price seems to have gone up. They made a ton though so I wouldnt expect them to go any higher in price unless you find a willing buyer.

Ronb

WKR
Is this post for real? It may be the best binocular on the planet in that price range.

OP
kaku3428

kaku3428

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up one out of the last two left at Cabelas in Delaware. I am so impressed with it. I have two other ELs and one SLC 15x56. Not sure why they are discontinued as there is no direct competition in price or quality. It was the best non flat field binocular in the market.
Swarovski has too many products between 1000 to 2000 range. I think they are not going to replace them with anything.

Their other company Kahles is going to rebadge them and sell them. EL’s and NL’s are their main focus now for that in that 10x range.

Their other company Kahles is going to rebadge them and sell them. EL’s and NL’s are their main focus now for that in that 10x range.
That is correct, but it is my understanding the new Kahles is specifically for the European Market and thus will not be serviced by Swarovski USA. Will need to be sent to Europe for warranty repair.

Usually Kahles binoculars and range finders are made in Japan.
From the Service and Repair page on the Kahles website: “With your KAHLES product you have purchased a high quality product. In order to offer you the best service, all work will be done exclusively by our experienced technicians and only with genuine spare parts in our company in Guntramsdorf.”

OP
kaku3428

kaku3428

Lil-Rokslider
From the Service and Repair page on the Kahles website: “With your KAHLES product you have purchased a high quality product. In order to offer you the best service, all work will be done exclusively by our experienced technicians and only with genuine spare parts in our company in Guntramsdorf.”
I just talked to them last week and asked question about why kahles Binos and range finders are so cheap compared to Swarovski. I was told by the rep that even Swarovski range finder which now is discontinued, was also made in Japan

JGRaider

WKR
Every optics maker/marketer's electronics are made in Japan, or China, and that includes ALL of the Euro brands. Been that way since they started marketing them.

I own EL's, Meostar HD, Tract Toric, SLC and a few others, and have owned about 30 others over the years. The SLC is one of the top 3 hunting binos on the planet IMO.

Just curious if anyone knows. But will Swarovski continue to service or honor the SLC 10x42 since they have now been discontinued? I would think with a company like Swarovski that absolutely they would but you I have heard of other compaines no longer servicing discontinued items.

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious if anyone knows. But will Swarovski continue to service or honor the SLC 10x42 since they have now been discontinued? I would think with a company like Swarovski that absolutely they would but you I have heard of other compaines no longer servicing discontinued items.
Surely they still service all of the old non HD and other binos/spotters.

I spoke with Swarovski USA Customer Service - they will continue servicing SLCs.

Was also able to confirm that the rumor about SLCs being re=badged under the Kahles Brand is still just a rumor. There is industry and internet chatter about an SLC replacement but that is all, nothing confirmed.

Kahles repair - also confirmed directly with Swarovski USA = they do not service Kahles, and that Kahles products sent to them are forwarded to Europe (not Japan) for warranty or other repair work.