is there still demand for SLC 10x42? are they still relevant?

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
I do like the SLC's better than the EL. I am not a fan of the field flattener but i do like my 8.5x42 EL's. Had two pairs of 10x42 SLC's and that is why i sold one of them. no reason for me to have two and no need for more binos at this point. That is why i am afraid to look through the NL Pures. from what i am hearing form trusted people i know, you will sell all to get them. right now i don't want to do that so i am staying away for the time being.

I bought a new pair of 10x42 SLC last year and couldn't be happier! They are amazing bino's for hunting. I will never sell them or look at another pair. The only change I may make in the future would be getting a pair of 15 power and getting rid of the swaro spotter but I don't think that will happen. The 10x42 SLC on a tripod is pretty amazing.

OP
kaku3428

kaku3428

Lil-Rokslider
I do like the SLC's better than the EL. I am not a fan of the field flattener but i do like my 8.5x42 EL's. Had two pairs of 10x42 SLC's and that is why i sold one of them. no reason for me to have two and no need for more binos at this point. That is why i am afraid to look through the NL Pures. from what i am hearing form trusted people i know, you will sell all to get them. right now i don't want to do that so i am staying away for the time being.
I have no money issues and I tried to buy NLs 3 times but they don’t impress me. Zeiss SFs are better to my eyes.

OP
kaku3428

kaku3428

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a new pair of 10x42 SLC last year and couldn't be happier! They are amazing bino's for hunting. I will never sell them or look at another pair. The only change I may make in the future would be getting a pair of 15 power and getting rid of the swaro spotter but I don't think that will happen. The 10x42 SLC on a tripod is pretty amazing.
Agree. Tripod make huge difference

WRO

WKR
IT is both. They save money and they try make latest models look better in specs. That's the selling point of NLs now wider FOV and shorter close focus. Rest is the same.
The nls are a little clearer and the fov is huge..

The els haven't changed internally or glass wise since swarovision was introduced. There are slight differences in sets though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
kaku3428

kaku3428

Lil-Rokslider
The nls are a little clearer and the fov is huge..

The els haven't changed internally or glass wise since swarovision was introduced. There are slight differences in sets though.

I have 20/20 vision. I don’t see it. I think you just feel it’s better because of all the hype.

Sled

WKR
I have 20/20 vision. I don’t see it. I think you just feel it’s better because of all the hype.

I tend to agree with the marketing and hype. I'm sure they are incrementally better in the glass but I couldn't see it due to time of day I had to view. The ergonomics for me is the seller but not at that price point.

OP
kaku3428

kaku3428

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations I guess, the vast majority do..

Vast majority voted for Biden too. Advertising , creating a hype and fickle nature of sportsmen who fall for these hypes are the ones saying it is better.
Fact is that wide field of view makes most difference at close ranges which we are not trying to scan. At long distance viewing a game animal is small enough to be easily kept in the middle of view.

OP
kaku3428

kaku3428

Lil-Rokslider
I tend to agree with the marketing and hype. I'm sure they are incrementally better in the glass but I couldn't see it due to time of day I had to view. The ergonomics for me is the seller but not at that price point.
I felt I will drop them because of my big hands and that wasp shape

WRO

WKR
Vast majority voted for Biden too. Advertising , creating a hype and fickle nature of sportsmen who fall for these hypes are the ones saying it is better.
Fact is that wide field of view makes most difference at close ranges which we are not trying to scan. At long distance viewing a game animal is small enough to be easily kept in the middle of view.
I'm guessing you've not spent much time hunting out west by your comments..

I can't tell you how many times I've found elk and deer on the edges of my glass when gridding off a tripod. It also makes a huge difference for target acquisition (picking up a critter spotted with the naked eye)

SLC 10x42 are the perfect one and done hunting bino. Everything about them is great for hunting. Little upgrades to more expensive alphas will be lost on most hunters. Their only problem is they are the gateway drug to alpha glass. I've since bought into the ATX system and now I have plans for EL TAs, 8x42 NLs...

OP
kaku3428

kaku3428

Lil-Rokslider
I'm guessing you've not spent much time hunting out west by your comments..

I can't tell you how many times I've found elk and deer on the edges of my glass when gridding off a tripod. It also makes a huge difference for target acquisition (picking up a critter spotted with the naked eye)
you have a point but not that relevant. do you keep your optics pointing to one direction only? I always keep panning and scanning. So something was at the edge, comes into the center at some point.

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
you have a point but not that relevant. do you keep your optics pointing to one direction only? I always keep panning and scanning. So something was at the edge, comes into the center at some point.
that is where your personal preferences comes into play. When you are on a tripod you are not just scanning back and forth constantly. You study an area and move slightly on. Yeah if you and doing handheld scanning constantly the wide field would be near as a concern for you. That is where the NL's will shine.

WRO

WKR
I could read about having a period and be an expert on the internet, but until you've bled for 5 days it's pretty hard to understand..

OP
kaku3428

kaku3428

Lil-Rokslider
that is where your personal preferences comes into play. When you are on a tripod you are not just scanning back and forth constantly. You study an area and move slightly on. Yeah if you and doing handheld scanning constantly the wide field would be near as a concern for you. That is where the NL's will shine.
yes i think you are right. i use 10x handheld and 12/15x on tripod.

OP
kaku3428

kaku3428

Lil-Rokslider
I could read about having a period and be an expert on the internet, but until you've bled for 5 days it's pretty hard to understand..
haha. you have experience in that too? no wonder. hope you are not bleeding this week

WRO

WKR
haha. you have experience in that too? no wonder. hope you are not bleeding this week

I can't think of a time ever in on average 60+ days a year I spend in the field between guiding and hunting where FOV wasn't important. I used to put el 8x32s on a tripod to cover more ground..

OP
kaku3428

kaku3428

Lil-Rokslider
I can't think of a time ever in on average 60+ days a year I spend in the field between guiding and hunting where FOV wasn't important. I used to put el 8x32s on a tripod to cover more ground..
Field of view is important. Nobody is arguing about that. But we are discussing is that whether that makes traditional or old school binoculars irrelevant? And how many hunters actually use $3k binoculars? And how many who don’t use such $3k binoculars feel the need for them?

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I hesitate to respond, but can't bite my tongue on this. I hunt NM, and use SLC's for hours each day hunting (usually). In theory bino's can be readjusted so the animal is in the center of FOV, but in practice...when glassing big country, that's not how it works. This applies whether using them handheld or on a tripod.

For example, say you're watching an area (a bull bedded in the area and you're trying to find antlers), you have no idea where or when his antlers will glint the sun. A bigger FOV is a distinct advantage! When scanning giant mountain sides, you have to stop and look under trees, boulders, etc. Keep scanning and you'll miss animals as you can't pick out the motion of the animal from the motion of scanning. If they are bedded and barely visible, you'll skip right over them. I can't tell you how many times I'm watching a hill side and all of a sudden critters start moving that were not visible 10 seconds ago. They are feeding in and out of trees, ravines, etc. Bears, elk and deer are perfect examples...they move nearly constantly unless they are bedded. All of these cases are where the biggest FOV (and optical quality) is very advantageous. It may not apply to deer hunting in PA. As WRO pointed out, you may need to experience it before you can appreciate it.

With all this said, I'm very happy with my SLC's (as is my son and GF with theirs) and have no desire for NL Pure's simply due to cost. I know many hunters in NM that use $3k+ bino's...they do make a difference. There is a thread about what the most important piece of hunting gear is, and many (most?) of the replies was good glass.