Is this a good starting work out

blb078

WKR
I've been working out at a local gym for a couple weeks now and not sure if what I'm doing is the best for me or if I should change it up. I work out 4 days a week, mainly on a treadmill. I do 3 miles with a small incline and I plan on increasing the incline and distance every couple weeks. I start off doing a .25 mile walk, then .25 run, .25 walk, .25 run.....to 3 miles(actually just upped to 3.5 miles today). Then I'll try to mix in 1.5 miles on an elliptical 2-3 days a week after I'm on the treadmill. Really my calves are the only thing that are sore after I'm done, my thighs are a bit but not to bad. So Should I be doing something different? My plan is to do this and in late Feb/March start adding weight on to my treadmill walk/runs. Any other suggestions? thx

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
I've been working out at a local gym for a couple weeks now and not sure if what I'm doing is the best for me or if I should change it up. I work out 4 days a week, mainly on a treadmill. I do 3 miles with a small incline and I plan on increasing the incline and distance every couple weeks. I start off doing a .25 mile walk, then .25 run, .25 walk, .25 run.....to 3 miles(actually just upped to 3.5 miles today). Then I'll try to mix in 1.5 miles on an elliptical 2-3 days a week after I'm on the treadmill. Really my calves are the only thing that are sore after I'm done, my thighs are a bit but not to bad. So Should I be doing something different? My plan is to do this and in late Feb/March start adding weight on to my treadmill walk/runs. Any other suggestions? thx

Hey Brian, what are your short and long term goals for your workouts? Are you training for an event or hunt, if so what do they consist of? Sounds like a great approach to conditioning. As far as the sore calves go, comes with the incline but I'm sure the soreness will soon fade.

JD

• Banned
OP
B

blb078

WKR
Hey Brian, what are your short and long term goals for your workouts? Are you training for an event or hunt, if so what do they consist of? Sounds like a great approach to conditioning. As far as the sore calves go, comes with the incline but I'm sure the soreness will soon fade.

JD

Just hunting. Will be my first pack hunt this year and want to be able to get around with my pack on with out feeling like I'm going to pass out. My goal is to be able to go 5 miles with 50 lbs on my back.

bz_711

WKR
If you have access to a stairmill or stepper I would highly recommend working up to 30 minutes on that and increase speed over the summer (if you plan to hunt mountains). This has helped me a ton last couple years...I still run 3x week, but mix in 2x week on stairmill. If no access, or even an additional option I like, is to start mixing in hills with weighted pack a few nights per week from home once kids are in bed.

Good Luck - anything will help when it comes to heart and lungs being in shape...but I also like to make sure legs, lower back, and shoulders are ready as well.

shaun

WKR
I also reccomend step mill. I do that every morning atleast 2 miles average 80-90 steps a minute it will definatly hammer quads and hams and you can do calf raises at same time. Treadmill is also a great tool especially if you are just starting out. Remember no matter what you do you are lapping the hunter sitting on his ass being lazy

BigSurArcher

Banned
Like these guys have said, sounds like a great starting point and anything you do will separate you from the average guy. Once you get conditioned to the soreness and you start seeing results, you may want to add some lifts to your workout. Even just doing squats and shrugs a couple times per week would make a big difference. When packing animals out I've found that it's not the cardio I'm thankful for- it's the extra muscle in my legs, hips, and traps. Keep us updated on how you progress!

• Banned
OP
B

blb078

WKR
There are a couple stepper machines at my gym. Think maybe after I do my treadmill walk/run to hit that instead of the elliptical?? Or maybe split the treadmill and stepper in half do some of both first starting out?. Thx for the input.

jmez

WKR
Another vote for the stairmaster. I would stay off of the elliptical and just use the stairmaster and treadmill. Would also mix in some weight training with your cardio work. Lower body, core and back strength are all very important when hauling around loaded packs in the mountains.
Squats, box step ups holding weight, lunges holding weights, straight legged deadlifts, pull ups, upright rows, bent over rows, lat pulldowns, power cleans, etc.

Can also use the weight training as cardio for change ups on just the treadmill. Do circuit training on the weights, low weight and reps of 20-25 and just go from one exercise to the next without resting. Start slow and try to get up to circuits 5 circuits doing 20 reps on each exercise.

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Don't ignore your upperbody/core it's not only your legs that support that 50 lb pack. When using the eliptical make sure you have enough tension so that you're having to push/pull rather than glide. I love the step mill I wish my gym had one although i havent done it I have heard of guys doing it with their pack on. If you can find some hills hiking with a weighted pack is hard to beat, in a pinch highschool bleachers etc. will work.

Do compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, cleans, pullups and jerks. I'd also suggest rowing if your gym has a rowing machine. Stay away from iso lifts as they won't help you. Do everything with a barbell and dumbells.

bz_711

WKR
There are a couple stepper machines at my gym. Think maybe after I do my treadmill walk/run to hit that instead of the elliptical?? Or maybe split the treadmill and stepper in half do some of both first starting out?. Thx for the input.

personally I can't get a good workout on an eliptical in 30 minutes...I don't touch them anymore. Start slow with stepper but eventually I would recommend doing treadmill and stepper on different days and push each one hard vs. splitting time. Eventually you should work your way up to 30-40 minutes on stepper at 90-100+ steps per minute...the sweat will really be coming then!

Check out the Mountain Athlete website. They have some good exercises for climbing/mountain athletes with video demo's. The leg blasters are a great lower body workout if you don't have any equipment to use. Doing them at a good pace will get you breathing hard and give your legs a good burn. I love strength training with weights, but don't underestimate the value of some good old fashion body weight exercises.

OP
B

blb078

WKR
I tried the stair master at my local gym tonight. Did 40 minutes at a level 10 which it said was 5.5 floors per minute. Did 250 floors total, it didn't say how many steps per minute I was doing but after doing some math I believe I was doing .875 steps per second or just over 50/minute. A long ways off from 90-100 but at least I have time to work on that. Think I'm going to rotate the treadmill and stair master each day so will be stairs twice a week and treadmill twice a week.

I tried the stair master at my local gym tonight. Did 40 minutes at a level 10 which it said was 5.5 floors per minute. Did 250 floors total, it didn't say how many steps per minute I was doing but after doing some math I believe I was doing .875 steps per second or just over 50/minute. A long ways off from 90-100 but at least I have time to work on that. Think I'm going to rotate the treadmill and stair master each day so will be stairs twice a week and treadmill twice a week.

That's a good plan. Couple that with full body compound weightlifting movements and some weighted pack hiking and you're on your way for sure.

jmez

WKR
I also always put my weight in 10 lbs light on the stairmaster, really makes a difference in the amount of work you do when you decrease the pedal resistance.

These guys are giving great advice IMO espescially what realates to mixing cardio with strength training. The only thing better than taking these guys advice is trying to somehow get outside with a pack on and go on a long hike that includes at least 1500ft of elevation gain. It's hard to simulate that with a stair machine. I know it may be difficult finding a hike like that in Missouri but would be a good test. Good luck!

OP
B

blb078

WKR
Was back at it again on Sun and Mon. 3.5 miles on the treadmill alternating walking/running every .25 miles on a small incline. and 300(3 sets of 100) floors yesterday on the stairmaster. Tuesday is a recovery day then back at it again Wed.

chas

Lil-Rokslider
These guys are giving great advice IMO espescially what realates to mixing cardio with strength training. The only thing better than taking these guys advice is trying to somehow get outside with a pack on and go on a long hike that includes at least 1500ft of elevation gain. It's hard to simulate that with a stair machine. I know it may be difficult finding a hike like that in Missouri but would be a good test. Good luck!

Best time to scout for the next season is now. I try to get outside at least a few times a week for a hour or so to hike and scout new areas.

OP
B

blb078

WKR
Best time to scout for the next season is now. I try to get outside at least a few times a week for a hour or so to hike and scout new areas.

That's really not an option when you're 15 hours away from the areas you plan to hunt. About the best I can do here is hiking around in some woods, which is relatively flat anyway, which I plan on doing in a few months so it's the gym for now.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most definitely mix in weights.. Cross training is key to really rounding out your workouts and overall health. Throw the pack on when on the elliptical.. Even a little extra weight goes a long ways