Is this gun upgrade worth it?

Just go buy a Ruger American in 30-06 - cheap easy will shoot well and kill anything in NA. Or buy a Tikka TX3 for a few bucks more in -06, 7mm, or 300wm.

Just go buy a Ruger American in 30-06 - cheap easy will shoot well and kill anything in NA. Or buy a Tikka TX3 for a few bucks more in -06, 7mm, or 300wm.
Good call. I bought the Ruger American because of the one piece bolt, smooth action, and reputation for accuracy. I ditched the cheap plastic stock and bought a Boyd's custom stock with the aluminum pillars. Then I galss bedded the stock with the included kit. I'd never done it before, but there are some great videos on Youtube and available from Boyd's. Even with the new stock I spent less than I would have for a 'premium' brand rifle with a junk stock.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
My opinion is this (as we all just have opinions lol). When it comes to taking an animal, the order of importance are 1) shot placement 2) bullet quality 3) bullet/caliber ballistics

So in knowing that shot placement is #1, that means you need to practice a lot. That means two things: affordable ammo and a gun that you enjoy shooting (not just in lack of felt recoil, but also in enjoyment of quality optics as well as rifle ergonomics). As an example, I own a 270, 30-06, and a 308. My favorite rifle to shoot is my 308. The 30-06 is a family rifle that will always stay in the family. My great grandfather was the original owner and he brought it with him when they immigrated to the US from Europe. No way would I part with that. The 308 has low felt recoil and is the most fun to shoot. As such, its the gun I'm the best shot with and the most comfortable with. Ammo is plenty available (relatively speaking to the times we live in). So I prefer a 308 personally. It will take an elk at 400 yards and it will take a nice muley at 500 yards. If I can't get within those ranges, I shouldn't be taking the shot.

There's nothing wrong with a 270. If you shoot it well and like to shoot it, why not put some money into optics instead? If you don't really care for the ergonomics of being a righty shooting lefty and there is no sentimental value, go ahead and sell it to get something you like and want.

I just believe in shot placement is paramount. That comes from practice. Practice comes from enjoying shooting the weapon of choice along with availability/affordability of ammo.

My opinion is this (as we all just have opinions lol). When it comes to taking an animal, the order of importance are 1) shot placement 2) bullet quality 3) bullet/caliber ballistics

So in knowing that shot placement is #1, that means you need to practice a lot. That means two things: affordable ammo and a gun that you enjoy shooting (not just in lack of felt recoil, but also in enjoyment of quality optics as well as rifle ergonomics). As an example, I own a 270, 30-06, and a 308. My favorite rifle to shoot is my 308. The 30-06 is a family rifle that will always stay in the family. My great grandfather was the original owner and he brought it with him when they immigrated to the US from Europe. No way would I part with that. The 308 has low felt recoil and is the most fun to shoot. As such, its the gun I'm the best shot with and the most comfortable with. Ammo is plenty available (relatively speaking to the times we live in). So I prefer a 308 personally. It will take an elk at 400 yards and it will take a nice muley at 500 yards. If I can't get within those ranges, I shouldn't be taking the shot.

There's nothing wrong with a 270. If you shoot it well and like to shoot it, why not put some money into optics instead? If you don't really care for the ergonomics of being a righty shooting lefty and there is no sentimental value, go ahead and sell it to get something you like and want.

I just believe in shot placement is paramount. That comes from practice. Practice comes from enjoying shooting the weapon of choice along with availability/affordability of ammo.
Very well said and agree 100%.

WCB

WKR
IMO...if no sentimental value to you sell it and by a right handed firearm. If you like rifle hunting and eventually buy another gun you will have more options. Also, yes many people do it...mostly lefties that grew up doing it because that was the firearm available to them. But, practicing stay in the rifle and cycling another round is again in my opinion beneficial for follow up shots. The calibers you listed are good elk calibers...the .270 you have is just fine for the vast majority of elk hunting and normal elk ranges.

There are ZERO benefits of shooting a wrong handed rile only possible issues.