Is this Kryptek Sheep hunt film satire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moserkr

WKR
Shit show, gun fight, whatever you want to call it…. Not good. Criticism well deserved.

To play devil’s advocate, every season in MT’s general otc elk hunt, there would be 2-3 occasions where I would hear bang. Bang bang bang. Bang bang bang bang bang bang. Bang bang. Bang bang bang. 20+ shots easy, coming from more than 1 person usually.

Im sure these were not isolated events to just where Im hunting. As much as I agree that its a shitty video and it makes us all look bad, theres way worse going on all the time from OTC tag holders. Not to mention the spotlights that come on driving down the roads as I was hiking out…

Mainly all Im reading is “this shit shouldnt happen, and we definitey shouldnt show it on film”. Dont disagree. Its deeper than that though.

Reminds me of a quote from an old friend: “You aren’t going to hit anything if you don’t put some lead in the air”. Makes me think of all the animals I could have possibly killed by taking poor shot opportunities. Also of the two animals Ive lost taking good shot opportunities. I remember each miss and pass as much as I remember my great shots and kills.

Since they didnt get to explain themselves at the sheep show apparently, the video should have been edited to explain the shit show a lot better. The backlash should have been no surprise and I wouldnt have shown that at a sheep banquet, or at all.

Whats that old saying?
Money cant buy sense.

I don’t really give a shit other than i feel sorry for the ram,but his Hello boy’s comment is typically something a arrogant person would say.
Last time i checked theres not many boys on here.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
To play devil’s advocate, every season in MT’s general otc elk hunt, there would be 2-3 occasions where I would hear bang. Bang bang bang. Bang bang bang bang bang bang. Bang bang. Bang bang bang. 20+ shots easy, coming from more than 1 person usually.

I hope you haven't given away your spot. There was probably a new state record hiding there and it was Doug you were hearing.

woods89

WKR
Calling that guy a "very good shot" is kinda like me saying my 2 year old is potty trained while he is saying "I poop" and walking around with a load in his diaper.
Here's my thoughts on this. (Worth exactly what you paid for them.)

There is a difference between being a good shot on a square, flat range and being a good shot in field conditions. What I saw in the video was (1) There are a few people out there that can kill a walking animal at 450 yds, but they are a lot less than those who think they can. (2) Most of us don't spend enough time practicing fast and accurate follow up shots. When that first round missed things completely went off the rails. I've been trying to get some practice in on getting 2nd and third shots downrange quickly. Nobody who's really good at that is totally breaking sight picture to cycle the action. I'll have to say, I wasn't much different until I started practicing that specific skill, and I'm still not as good at it as I wish.

Having said that I absolutely agree that the video is nauseating and shouldn't have ever made it to the public eye. I just think there may be some lessons to take away.

Altiholic

FNG
Gross. Appears to be one poor decision after another, stretching well beyond the hunt, with “Hello Boys” as icing on the cake. Spewing this hunt to the masses because it’s a really big ram and sometimes things get messy is hilariously tone deaf in my opinion.

I can count the number of bighorn sheep I have seen on one hand, but have several decades of alpine hunting experiences come and gone (unfortunately!) in my home state. In that time, I have certainly sent some lead flying at poor trajectories on occasion, with a variety of outcomes. Killing an animal isn’t always pretty but it seems that, in this case, the ugly could have been easily avoided at several decision points by simply taking no action. Patience and hard work seem to be declining in value in hunting media.

Despite this being a negative/critical thread, it is one the most encouraging I’ve read on this site. In my read, the overall consensus of commenters here is that alpine hunters/hunters in general have higher standards than what is demonstrated in this video. I could care less about the size of this beast and would have much rather spent my time watching a poor quality video of a DIY hunter harvesting an average ram. Maybe I’m just an elitist.

204guy

WKR
The guy that should be most embarrassed about the whole video is the guy going "high, way to high" after the first ill advised shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.