Is this Kryptek Sheep hunt film satire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
wind gypsy
Sheep are fragile and Doug Sayer has contributed more money towards sheep conservation than I will ever be able to. However, I think that hunters in Idaho can collectively replace the revenue of the auction tag very easily. IDFG could add $1 to hunting licenses that is earmarked for Sheep conservation. That alone would replace the revenue from the auction tag.

Why not do both?

This sort of reminded me of the video that came out last year of some Phatass with high dollar elk tag driving up to the location where his team of scouts had found a huge elk a few hundred yards away. Dressed head to toe in Kuiu gear ... which I am sure was critical in his drive from the hotel to the location he shot the elk.. the guy proceeded to shoot the elk at and extremely long rang and then celebrated like he had just accomplished a major hunting feat. In total the guy probably walked a total of about 70 feet in his entire hunt. It was downright embarrassing.

LightFoot

WKR
The action starts around 7:30.

The muzzle flagging after the first miss..
They are talking about the ethics of the hunt...
They pose with the rifle in front of the trophy displayed like it was a precision instrument critical in the hunt. Satire? It has to be right?
I can't believe Kryptek posted this thing.. Then again the muley freak guys are sportin kryptek these days so maybe gut and ass shootin critters with sweet custom rifles is their gig.
What happened to the video? I planned on watching it to see what y'all are talking about.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Mtnboy

WKR
Isn’t that the system we have in place now? If you have enough to cut a check you can sheep in hunt the lower 48 . But if you don’t then may not? Is that balance ?
So your answer to that is to make all tags Auction tags?

I'm so confused.....

Trial153

WKR
You're a smart guy, is this question is really trying to get at something else? It seems pretty obvious that most folks and the north american model want wildlife to benefit people regardless of social of financial class, but wildlife sure benefit from financial resources being dedicated to them. Thus, 1 ID sheep tag being allocated to driving funds to support conservation efforts and 77 ID sheep tags being distributed regardless of a hunter's means or status feels like a pretty good balance to me. If people in charge of sheep conservation are spending that $ appropriately, in theory is should support more regular tags than if that funding didn't exist.

Of course it’s getting to something else. You’re looking at this in a microcosm one tag in Idaho versus to 77 total.
The industry/orgs looks at this on a macro level. when you look at the percentage of tags in various places/ states, reservations ect .. that end up on the auction block it’s substantial. Substantial enough to create a pool of tags that are only available to a very very very small percentage of hunters. These orgs understand very well that the support is contingent on keeping that pool filled with tags.

This sort of reminded me of the video that came out last year of some Phatass with high dollar elk tag driving up to the location where his team of scouts had found a huge elk a few hundred yards away. Dressed head to toe in Kuiu gear ... which I am sure was critical in his drive from the hotel to the location he shot the elk.. the guy proceeded to shoot the elk at and extremely long rang and then celebrated like he had just accomplished a major hunting feat. In total the guy probably walked a total of about 70 feet in his entire hunt. It was downright embarrassing.
You might be referencing the Jimmy john guy. I agree its not much of a hunt at all but i have no issue with that video, he made a clean kill from what i remember but correct me if I'm wrong

I'm glad it's gone too, but I was in the process of passing it along to other people so they could witness the douchebaggery. Oh well.
Agreed. I went to send it to a buddy but it was gone, so I had to describe the video via text which was super annoying.

Don't forget that not all governor tags go to huge orgs like WSF. I buy numerous raffle tags every year that support local archery, veteran, and educational orgs (among others). Those profits are cost shared between F&G and the org and the money the org keeps needs to be spent in "a way that supports conservation." i.e. gun/archery ranges, education, etc. Many of these tags have better odds than when they're in the general drawing and a ticket usually costs less than $100. So instead of everyone having to pay an extra few bucks for the general drawing, maybe 1,000 of us willing to spend more pay $100 and make up for that revenue gap and in most cases it hardly dents the odds in the general draw. I think that's fair. For examples, check out the Alaska SCI Chapter Chugach sheep raffle going on right now and the Alaska Super 7 raffle coming in a month or so.

There is a spectrum of tags given from sheep tags that go for $250K+ to any deer tags in some states that go for a couple grand. This topic of governor tags isn't nearly as clean cut as some of you are making it out to be because you don't like rich guys and/or WSF.

I never thought I would ever partake in a governor tag auction, but I bid one up last year at a local event and eventually was priced out a couple grand more than I was willing to spend. I have budgeted the extra money for this year if the opportunity for the tag is there again at a similar price. It's an impossible draw odds tag that my wife drew a few years ago but ended up being 8 months pregnant on opening day so it's well worth the money to me. I'm a state employee in my mid 30's so far from a rich guy. If I would buy the tag for what it was sold for last year, it's still about 1/2 the money of what several blue collar guys on here have paid to hunt the same species with a guide.

Last edited:
OP
wind gypsy
Of course it’s getting to something else. You’re looking at this in a microcosm one tag in Idaho versus to 77 total.
The industry/orgs looks at this on a macro level. when you look at the percentage of tags in various places/ states, reservations ect .. that end up on the auction block it’s substantial. Substantial enough to create a pool of tags that are only available to a very very very small percentage of hunters. These orgs understand very well that the support is contingent on keeping that pool filled with tags.

You are correct, i'm speaking to ID directly. IDFG makes these decisions based on their state alone. It's something that is not black and white and I dont know where my personal line is but 1 of 78 seems reasonable to me.

I'm not sure i understand what your point is. Is it that industry/orgs influence wildlife agencies to create more sheep tags and commoditize wildlife? Would sheep and hunting be better off without the support (contingent on auction tags) of a number of wealthy and influential people?

OP
wind gypsy
Thread with video is over on Hunttalk. Looks like the Youtube link is good.

I definitely saw that thread and thought the 'slide crowd should see it. Vid is back on youtube. Maybe seeing forum commenters take credit for its removal made them put it back up in defiance :ROFLMAO:

Trial153

WKR
I'm not sure i understand what your point is. Is it that industry/orgs influence wildlife agencies to create more sheep tags and commoditize wildlife? Would sheep and hunting be better off without the support (contingent on auction tags) of a number of wealthy and influential people?

That ship has sailed already. Wildlife is already commoditized to the point of no return. We don’t have to blame orgs for that, all we have to do it look in the mirror.

Yes we would be better off if support wasn’t contingent on providing exclusivity for small pool of individuals to have a disproportionate access to wildlife for their money. The price of disenfranchised is higher then return on the tags.

You’d make the same money or more by selling chances for a 20 dollar raffle. Take a look at the WY supper raffle for example.

Kryptek06

Kryptek Founder
Rokslide Sponsor
Hello Boys...

This is Butch Whiting, CEO Kryptek Outdoor Group

Quite a discussion we have going on here, so I felt it appropriate to jump in and give a few comments that I am able to speak to in this thread!

First...There was a lot of debate about editing out how this hunt actually went down. After much discussion, the decision to keep it as authentic as possible and not edit everything out became the way ahead....It was a Shit show for sure!! But for anyone that has hunted long enough, we have all had those crazy moments where things don't go as planned. Doug is actually a very good shot...but something was off with his gun and after the first shot, Things just fell apart from there.

If you haven't experienced something like this for yourselves, I would caution you to criticize to harshly, because its bound to happen as some point...Just hope you don't have a gallery of people and camera's everywhere when it does like Doug did...Yikes!!

Secondly...The Film was kept Authentic as possible because it was going to be the center of Gravity for the Idaho Wild Sheep Banquet in the Spring of 2020...There was a plan to wrap a 15 minute speech into the story, and explain everything about the hunt. The film was done with that, and soley that in mind....Both Idaho and National banquets went virtual, and the in person speeches and discussion went to the wayside, and the film went to the virtual platforms....Time was limited in the virtual intro's, and it just didn't pack the same punch that was intended...With all the "Explanation" of the highs and lows of the hunt.

The real focus was to be on the Ram, and what it represented for all of the hard work Idaho Wild Sheep Foundation, Idaho Fish and Game Biologist has done to improve the numbers and quality of the Sheep Populations in Idaho!

Happy to speak with any of you that would like discuss...Come by our Booth at the National Wild Sheep Foundation in Reno over the next few days...Booth #863

Hope to see you there!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sheep are fragile and Doug Sayer has contributed more money towards sheep conservation than I will ever be able to. However, I think that hunters in Idaho can collectively replace the revenue of the auction tag very easily. IDFG could add $1 to hunting licenses that is earmarked for Sheep conservation. That alone would replace the revenue from the auction tag.

I don't have a better solution to the work that Idaho WSF is doing but I think it is worth asking if they are actually effective at putting more sheep on the mountain as they claim. Idaho WSF was founded in ~1985. In 1990, the population of wild sheep in Idaho numbered 5,000. Today, the population of wild sheep is 2,900. Maybe that number would be even lower if it wasn't for Idaho WSF, maybe not.
Be interesting to see how many sheep have gone to feed wolves here in Idaho, especially in the Frank. Mid 90s brought those landsharks...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Hello Boys...

This is Butch Whiting, CEO Kryptek Outdoor Group

Quite a discussion we have going on here, so I felt it appropriate to jump in and give a few comments that I am able to speak to in this thread!

First...There was a lot of debate about editing out how this hunt actually went down. After much discussion, the decision to keep it as authentic as possible and not edit everything out became the way ahead....It was a Shit show for sure!! But for anyone that has hunted long enough, we have all had those crazy moments where things don't go as planned. Doug is actually a very good shot...but something was off with his gun and after the first shot, Things just fell apart from there.

If you haven't experienced something like this for yourselves, I would caution you to criticize to harshly, because its bound to happen as some point...Just hope you don't have a gallery of people and camera's everywhere when it does like Doug did...Yikes!!

Secondly...The Film was kept Authentic as possible because it was going to be the center of Gravity for the Idaho Wild Sheep Banquet in the Spring of 2020...There was a plan to wrap a 15 minute speech into the story, and explain everything about the hunt. The film was done with that, and soley that in mind....Both Idaho and National banquets went virtual, and the in person speeches and discussion went to the wayside, and the film went to the virtual platforms....Time was limited in the virtual intro's, and it just didn't pack the same punch that was intended...With all the "Explanation" of the highs and lows of the hunt.

The real focus was to be on the Ram, and what it represented for all of the hard work Idaho Wild Sheep Foundation, Idaho Fish and Game Biologist has done to improve the numbers and quality of the Sheep Populations in Idaho!

Happy to speak with any of you that would like discuss...Come by our Booth at the National Wild Sheep Foundation in Reno over the next few days...Booth #863

Hope to see you there!
Sorry Butch, calling BS. If his gun was off, why keep shooting? Then try to blast away with someone elses gun? Surely the money goes to good use but that shouldn't even be a hint of an excuse/justification. What should the video have shown? Absolutely nothing. But it did, and this is the result.

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
Ethics really need to be called into question, for all involved. He missed with his entire magazine. Rather than the guides stepping in and being responsible, they give him someone else’s equipment. That’s unbelievable to me.

Trial153

WKR
Felt terrible for the guy holding the unit tag, gets his gun torn out of his hand and treated like an after thought.
That was freaking disgusting. If that’s what we are all about then some serious self introspection is in order.

1017 “good job dude. You got it done”

Status
Not open for further replies.