Is this Kryptek Sheep hunt film satire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would have happened if unit tag holder had shot the 200 incher?
If the real focus was to be on the ram and what it represents for game conservation in Idaho, why shoot it up the ass?
Would've loved to see that happen & the ensuing drama... "you had 3 shots dude... my turn!"
That conversation would've been some high-quality entertainment

BluMtn

WKR
So playing the devils advocate, what would have happened if the draw holder had shot the "Duke" would it have been shown in the video or would we have never heard about it. I personally would have liked to be a mouse in the grass when it happened. And I understand maybe why they buddied up, but I don't know if I would have done it myself. And if they had not buddied up and the draw tag found it first what happens then. I believe that the Gov tag went out of his way to make sure they had eyes on the draw tag holder to make sure he DIDN'T find it first.

OP
wind gypsy
So playing the devils advocate, what would have happened if the draw holder had shot the "Duke" would it have been shown in the video or would we have never heard about it. I personally would have liked to be a mouse in the grass when it happened. And I understand maybe why they buddied up, but I don't know if I would have done it myself. And if they had not buddied up and the draw tag found it first what happens then. I believe that the Gov tag went out of his way to make sure they had eyes on the draw tag holder to make sure he DIDN'T find it first.

@Trial153 covered how they even showed that it was decided who was going to shoot what ram before the hunt started.

The unit tag holder was not getting that Ram. No way in hell. It was already a forgone decision. They even stated it in the video. See the “ your Ram” quote at the 13:13 mark

“especially when one of them is a governors tag. Because that’s a significant amount of money that’s been Donated to conservation for him to get that tag, and, he , sometimes those guys can be all about themselves and sometimes they are not. In this situation Doug was awesome he wanted to hunt side by side with Travis. You know his camp it was kind of set up. One thing that impressed me a ton, was I remember like Doug saying like “hey if your ram comes and you have a clear shot and I don’t, take the shot. I mean that right there, both these guys, just the ethics.”

I doubt it would have been an enjoyable hunt for the draw tag holder if he were trying to find/shoot the ram first DIY.

Carr5vols

WKR
Hello Boys...

This is Butch Whiting, CEO Kryptek Outdoor Group

Quite a discussion we have going on here, so I felt it appropriate to jump in and give a few comments that I am able to speak to in this thread!

First...There was a lot of debate about editing out how this hunt actually went down. After much discussion, the decision to keep it as authentic as possible and not edit everything out became the way ahead....It was a Shit show for sure!! But for anyone that has hunted long enough, we have all had those crazy moments where things don't go as planned. Doug is actually a very good shot...but something was off with his gun and after the first shot, Things just fell apart from there.

If you haven't experienced something like this for yourselves, I would caution you to criticize to harshly, because its bound to happen as some point...Just hope you don't have a gallery of people and camera's everywhere when it does like Doug did...Yikes!!

Secondly...The Film was kept Authentic as possible because it was going to be the center of Gravity for the Idaho Wild Sheep Banquet in the Spring of 2020...There was a plan to wrap a 15 minute speech into the story, and explain everything about the hunt. The film was done with that, and soley that in mind....Both Idaho and National banquets went virtual, and the in person speeches and discussion went to the wayside, and the film went to the virtual platforms....Time was limited in the virtual intro's, and it just didn't pack the same punch that was intended...With all the "Explanation" of the highs and lows of the hunt.

The real focus was to be on the Ram, and what it represented for all of the hard work Idaho Wild Sheep Foundation, Idaho Fish and Game Biologist has done to improve the numbers and quality of the Sheep Populations in Idaho!

Happy to speak with any of you that would like discuss...Come by our Booth at the National Wild Sheep Foundation in Reno over the next few days...Booth #863

Hope to see you there!
First of all thank you for your service, never can thank service members enough for their sacrfices.

Your opening comment "Hello Boys", when you are trying to put out a PR fire this was not a good way to start. Hello gentleman or even Hello fellow outdoorsman/women. We are your peers or even more your customers.

Maybe know one else does by after two misses to that magnitude, no more shots are fired as something is wrong with the weapon or me. Never want to wound an animal (espically if it is going on the net). It has happened to everyone and you live with those forever. I am sure Doug had the funds, time, and resources to locate the animal over the net few days, after he fixed the issue. It was not leavng the general area. If everyone in the video really cared about the animal and everything Idaho had achieved, why didnt someone stop him on miss 2 or 3 they werent even close.

Feel bad for the average guy that was on the hunt. That ram should have been his, and it would have showed that Idaho is working hard to improve sheep for all not just the 1%. That would have been a story...

Kryptek can put out whatever content they want, but that content will impact on what companies individuals spend there hard earned money.

hunt1up

WKR
The more I think about it after all this forum reading and for some dumb reason watching the video twice, I can't get over just how dirty this hunt feels even without the garbage shooting sequence. We've all long since known how these governor's tag hunts go. Rich dude shows up, 15 guys cater to his every need, have his animal picked out, he shows up and blasts it, and hooray conservation!

It isn't hunting, it isn't even close to hunting. It's some obscure bastarization of hunting. Yes there's a weapon and an animal, but that's about all I can find that is in common with actual hunting. Quite honestly we should all be insulted and pissed off. A great pasttime, the great cultural experience we all enjoy, has been hijacked by people with too much money and in general an inferiority complex.

I'm more than happy to kick in a few extra bucks in states where I junt hunt in order to offset the money raised by these clowns. I don't buy this argument that the common man won't pony up an extra $5 toward a license. A few years back, IL raised their resident firearm deer tag from $15 to $25.50. For about a month everyone whined and complained "We should all not buy tags this year! That'll show em!" The tag was $15 for probably a decade or more up to that point. The price went up, people ended up buying their tags just the same, and the outrage is a distant memory.

BluMtn

WKR
I realize what you are saying Wind gypsy, but what I was saying regardless of who was ordained to shoot what, the Gov tag had his multiple shots. So the Draw tag steps to the left of him sits down and shoots "The Duke". Just thinking out loud what the reaction would have been.

204guy

WKR
@Trial153 covered how they even showed that it was decided who was going to shoot what ram before the hunt started.

I doubt it would have been an enjoyable hunt for the draw tag holder if he were trying to find/shoot the ram first DIY.
To me that was the overall theme of the whole video and what I found by far the most egregious. They also claimed they didn't know what the ram would score, BS. It was known it would be a state record. The tag was purchased to kill that particular ram. It was a forgone conclusion that the ram would be killed and who would do it. It's blurring the line between wild and high fence. Gross, just gross all of it. State record... meh completely tarnished.

The shooting sequence was a bunch of poor decisions. If we're honest with ourselves that sequence plays out far more often than it should with people that aren't serious shooters. Doesn't need to be a video shown to the world though.

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
Thought the exact same thing. Don't know the owner of Kryptek personally but this comment seems to play right into the stereotype that he's a self-righteous above everyone else prick. Wasn't planning on buying any of their mid tier gear but will definitely be avoiding after this fiasco.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
And what about the gender-queers? This isn't inclusive AT ALL!!! I'm offended SO HARD RIGHT NOW!!!!

amassi

WKR
To me that was the overall theme of the whole video and what I found by far the most egregious. They also claimed they didn't know what the ram would score, BS. It was known it would be a state record. The tag was purchased to kill that particular ram. It was a forgone conclusion that the ram would be killed and who would do it. It's blurring the line between wild and high fence. Gross, just gross all of it. State record... meh completely tarnished.

The shooting sequence was a bunch of poor decisions. If we're honest with ourselves that sequence plays out far more often than it should with people that aren't serious shooters. Doesn't need to be a video shown to the world though.
The record book needs an asterisk.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
The doe pronghorn I shot this year was a bigger accomplishment than this guy shooting this ram. And the tag was just a bit cheaper
I agree 100%. As I watched the video, I kept thinking that he should spend a few years shooting white tail does and relying on himself, rather than having a bunch of folks hold his hand. And I would never classify what I saw on that video as a hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.