Is this serious?

jmez

WKR
Seems so simple; but maybe too boring, not as sexy, not as hardcore for some?

That's been my "plan" for the last ten years (along with specific strength raining twice a week) and I've never felt handicapped elk hunting in the mountains- in fact just the opposite :)
You run around the mtns like a goat!

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My wife calls me the "old goat"- is that a compliment? :D

True, I'm fortunate to be able to train year long in the mountains, BUT I stand by the assertion that one can be very "mountain fit" by the simple act of hiking w/ some focused strength training thrown in.

I think some keys are that it's done year round- not a big fan of "getting after it, hunting season is two months out". You have to do it consistently enough to get a good aerobic base established- this is not weeks, not even months.

Hiking for training is not strolling, you need to get after it (safely of course). You should strive to increase both pace and volume (slowly over time).

A couple of your training hikes should incorporate hills or a weighted pack (or both). Again using moderation in increasing weight/volume.

Once a week (or when possible) you should incorporate a longer session (time on your feet- typically miles, but extremely difficult terrain could easily translate into more time on your feet). Again try to slowly build on this.

Use trails. Doesn't have to be mountains, trails for one are easier on your body, but they also help with your balance, strengthening your core and stabilizer muscles/tendons/ligaments.

Strength train utilizing large, compound movements- safely and always increasing things moderately.

I will throw in some high intensity workouts like the one that is described here, but they are sprinkled in- not every day, not even every week.

Definitely not overly badass or sexy, but seems to work- for me anyways :)

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
No pack, but when I was in the Navy I did 1 mile of lunges a few times (whish I was still in that kind of shape). Done about 3 hours worth of lunges in soft sand with about 40 lb clutched to my chest (sucks like few other things in life).

I worked with a guy who did a mile of lunges twice a week on top of running and other work outs.

This is very doable in human terms. That said, I don't think I could not do it today. Being paid to workout helps a lot.

I also think less weight and longer distance would be more useful.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It’s a hard workout and takes most people some time to build up to. Look at it as a goal rather than just a workout to print off and go do. It took me a few months of working at it a few times a week.