Is this something a gunsmith could remedy?

First rifle I bought was a savage axis maybe 8 years ago. Shot some nice game with it but over the years intermittently i would pull the trigger and the firing pin wouldn't hit the primer hard enough , and it wouldnt fire the bullet just click and just leave a indent on the primer. I then would reload the same indented round and pull the trigger again and it would fire but I couldn't trust it hunting. I sent it into savage and at first it worked better but issue started up again. I bought a Tikka t3x and have since moved in but keep the savage as a backup. I took it out the other day to check zero and it fired 3 rounds without issue but I still can't really trust it.We don't really have any gunsmiths on island ait.We don't really have any gunsmiths on island and I am going to hunt in Alabama in January with a buddy and thinking of dropping it off with a gunsmith down there to get cleaned up or "worked on" and he can pick it up because he lives in New Orleans. Does this sound like something a gunsmith would be able to help with? Maybe clean up the firing pin mechanism and lube it up? I don't really know wat to do, I could sell it but I probably would barely get anything from it as it's an entry level rifle and it function is suspect and doesn't really feel right to do. Suggestions? I suppose I could keep it, but if I can get it fixed I want to take advantage of this opportunity. I have a double rifle case so bringing it wouldn't be a big deal

Last edited:

beignet

FNG
Open up the bolt for a good cleaning and lube. There’s some simple photo tutorials online. Takes maybe 15 minutes. I haven’t had a misfire on the old Salvage since I’d cleaned things up in mine. If that doesn’t work then there’s a bigger problem afoot.

OP
bojangles808
Open up the bolt for a good cleaning and lube. There’s some simple photo tutorials online. Takes maybe 15 minutes. I haven’t had a misfire on the old Salvage since I’d cleaned things up in mine. If that doesn’t work then there’s a bigger problem afoot.
You're referring to taking the whole bolt assembly apart right? Probably not a bad idea. I've given the bolt a good scrub and clean muplitple time but My guess is the chamber the firing pin slides up and down might be corroded or gunked up. Harder to get to without taking apart

Savage bolts are very easy to disassemble. Take it apart and clean it. Look for any burrs on the firing pin or firing pin hole on the bolt face. If the problem still persists, order a replacement firing pin spring and swap it out. If it still doesn't work as intended, I would say give Savage a call and see if they will fix it for you.

beignet

FNG
You're referring to taking the whole bolt assembly apart right? Probably not a bad idea. I've given the bolt a good scrub and clean muplitple time but My guess is the chamber the firing pin slides up and down might be corroded or gunked up. Harder to get to without taking apart
Yup. Mine didn’t even seem that gunky, but I was getting misfires about 1 out of 20 times before disassembling the bolt and giving it a good scrub & lube.

I see someone beat me to posting a video as I typed this. That video is the tutorial that I used.

Don’t use too much lube or you’ll invite more dirt down the line.

Had a Ruger American that would do that if the bolt handle wasn't fully down. Just carrying it, was enough to let the handle raise very slightly and cause a light strike. All I had to do was raise the bolt to recock and close it fully. No reloading the cartridge was needed. I got into the habit of palming the bolt down before shooting, and the 'problem' went completely away......

Maki35

WKR
Disassemble inspect & clean. check the firing pin. I would consider changing the firing pin spring. It isn't hard to do.
(There's a post on a Savage forum about light primer strikes with his Axis. the guy ordered & changed the FP spring and it fixed the problem.)

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
Does your axis have the accutrigger? If it does the cause can be due to not pulling straight back and applying pressure on the side of the trigger. Also, if the bolt is well broke in maybe you are inadvertently knocking the bolt up slightly. Seen this happen many times on all different types of rifles and always seemed to be rifles with the fairly loose bolts.

OP
bojangles808
Does your axis have the accutrigger? If it does the cause can be due to not pulling straight back and applying pressure on the side of the trigger. Also, if the bolt is well broke in maybe you are inadvertently knocking the bolt up slightly. Seen this happen many times on all different types of rifles and always seemed to be rifles with the fairly loose bolts.
No it is the cheap axis without the accutrigger

JNDEER

WKR
Man, you should know that lanai red clay aint coming out of that gun-lol.

I would think any good gunsmith would be able to find the problem and fix it. The problem you could run into is if you need a replacement part and you head back home before the part comes to be installed. Could call up some gunsmiths around where you are going and give them the 411 and see if its something they could look at given your fast turn around to fly back home.

OP
bojangles808
Man, you should know that lanai red clay aint coming out of that gun-lol.

I would think any good gunsmith would be able to find the problem and fix it. The problem you could run into is if you need a replacement part and you head back home before the part comes to be installed. Could call up some gunsmiths around where you are going and give them the 411 and see if its something they could look at given your fast turn around to fly back home.
Ya that's what I was thinking is call in advance and get the scoop but it looks like it's pretty easy to take apart myself from what everyone just posted so thanks everybody. My friend is stationed down there so was thinking if just have him keep it for me for now once it's fixed and then maybe bring home a new rifle instead haha.