Is tikka bbl extra slow?

Vandy321

WKR
No chrono available, ballistic trueing only today (is that the right word?)

Based on environmentals (80 deg, 13% humidity, 5-15mph wind, I forget the maybe 23.4 or so on the pressure, 5300ft elev) Based on verified drop, my 7RM is shooting factory federal berger hybrid 168s at over 200fps less than the box.

Is the box WAG from a 26" bbl? If so that accounts for say 50fps...but figured the 5300ft elevation would offset that. How am I still almost 230fps slower than the box?

60 rounds down the tube now...verified at 500-600 yards. It's a 7lb rifle, scoped, so accuracy beyond that is not something I'd trust for trueing.

Thoughts? Obviously, nothing can be done, it'll speed up a little more. Just curious if I had an extra slow bbl or this is pretty normal?

tdot

WKR
I just started break-in for a buddy's 7-08 Tikka, played with 2 boxes of factory ammo that he'd purchased. First one was 140ish fps slow and the 2nd one was closer to 300fps slower the advertised on the box. Velocity was taken with a Labradar. I wasn't expecting great consistency or performance from the factory loads, but 300fps is way slower then I expected. I'm currently wondering if its a slow barrel, or poor factory ammo. I'll receive dies and brass and be able to load some known loads soon to know for sure.

Lawnboi

WKR
On top of tikka barrels being slow, factory amp can have a bit of deviation as well, combined with your relatively fresh barrel, could be why your estimate is so slow. At only 60 rounds I’d also assume you might be doing some tweaking on things yet as well.

Iv seen the same exact factory ammo vary lot to lot over 120fps, same gun, same day.

TxxAgg

WKR
Post some numbers here.

Tikkas are know to be about 200 FPS slower than many other manufactures barrels. However, they are also known to be at the higher end of accuracy, so it is obvious that Tikka knows what they are doing.

As far as what the box says, seldom is the box correct. I mean, they do not normally publish the make, model, or length of barrel, let alone the twist.

Tikka's have been known for a slower twist than most other manufactures. However they have changed some twist rates recently.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Indeed, not complaining. Those factory berger hybrids are shooting sub 1/2 MOA at 100 yards and sub MOA at that 500 yards in some pretty gusty winds, on a very lightweight magnum.

Same lot number on all ammo, and estimated speeds were pretty similar with 162 ELDX as well.

Thanks for the replies I'll take it as it's normal for it to be slow. Will shoot it out and throw on a Bartlien on, no big deal.

Last edited:

ianpadron

WKR
Tikka barrels are known to be slow, like REALLY slow. Great guns, but they leave a lot of HP untouched.

Try a different ammo. My 7RM tikka barrel is spot on for box speeds. When I used the federal 168 Berger hybrids I was only getting 2670 FPS which sucked because they shot super well.

The only reason I can figure is they shorted the powder.

Tikka barrels need hardly any break in and are manufactured well, are very accurate…..but SLOW! Depending on how far you plan on shooting the velocity isn’t that important. I’ve competed in prs with my slow factory barrel and have done quite well actually. Use the accuracy their capable of to your advantage. If it’s a consistent load elevation drop is only a few more clicks on the turret anyway.

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 7mm-08 compact. Getting 2600-2700 fps. With 140g nab and Varget, not pushing the brass. Could probably get a bit more, but not much.