Is Tikka TX3 Superlite Recoil Pad Noise Normal?

I've been reading a lot of the positive posts on this forum regarding Tikka rifles, and a friend has one it's a tack driver. I looked at a few Tikka TX3 Superlite, Lite, and Roughtech rifles. The Superlite I was going to buy made a popping sound coming from the recoil pad when shouldering the rifle. When you press the middle of the recoil pad it makes a sound. This sound is noticeable that it can be heard from a few feet away, so I imagine the deer and elk can easily hear it in the field. None of the other Tikka rifles made that sound. I called the manufacturer and was told that the recoil pad noise sound was not unusual and was within factory specifications, but they would be happy to inspect the action, stock, recoil pad, etc. I could just buy a Limbsaver pad and hope it solves the problem. There was a blued TX3 Lite available that the salesman offered me that I may consider. I was almost tempted to buy a Bergara but am looking for a lightweight rifle. Any opinions from Tikka owners would be appreciate.

JohnB

WKR
Im pretty sure i have a stock recoil from a t3x at home that I'd give you for the cost of shipping. I never noticed any noise from it.

OP
A
Thank you for the offer. If I buy the Superlite rifle, I just might take you up on it. I'm thinking of just buying the lower-priced TX3 Lite blued version and be done with it. Thanks again and have a good one!

I’ve owned at least 8 Tikka rifles and still own 4 of them. I’ve never experienced anything like that or even heard of such a thing. I’d pass on that rifle unless they would swap the pad in the store to make sure the issue goes away. Good luck

OP
A
I’ve owned at least 8 Tikka rifles and still own 4 of them. I’ve never experienced anything like that or even heard of such a thing. I’d pass on that rifle unless they would swap the pad in the store to make sure the issue goes away. Good luck
I didn't seem normal to me. The recoil pads were stiffer on the other rifles. The customer service rep said that if I thought the noise would scare the game away, not to buy the rifle. I'm going to ask the store if they'll swap out the pad to see if it still makes the noise. If not, maybe I'll buy the blued Lite model. By the way, he said that Tikka stopped making the Superlight in 2017 and the rifle must have been old inventory. Maybe they used different recoil pads four years ago.

Rodéo

WKR
I bought a used t3 lite not long ago and never noticed that sound. I did replace the factory pad with a limbsaver that's a lot nicer but that sound would concern me if I were you. Maybe buy one of the other tikkas that didn't make that sound or take a risk and buy it with plans to put a limbsaver on it.

OP
A
I bought a used t3 lite not long ago and never noticed that sound. I did replace the factory pad with a limbsaver that's a lot nicer but that sound would concern me if I were you. Maybe buy one of the other tikkas that didn't make that sound or take a risk and buy it with plans to put a limbsaver on it.
There were only two rifles in the caliber I want, including the one with the sound. If I knew for sure It was the recoil pad, I'd get a Limbsaver. I might avoid the hassle and just settle for the blued Lite model. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

Rodéo

WKR
There were only two rifles in the caliber I want, including the one with the sound. If I knew for sure It was the recoil pad, I'd get a Limbsaver. I might avoid the hassle and just settle for the blued Lite model.
If you don't mind blued I'd just get that one and save some $ compared to the stainless. I really like the look of my stainless but I'm really not sure if you get any practical advantages going stainless>blued. But now I'm kind of out of my league so someone with more experience with rifles may chime in on that.

Spoonbill

WKR
I didn't seem normal to me. The recoil pads were stiffer on the other rifles. The customer service rep said that if I thought the noise would scare the game away, not to buy the rifle. I'm going to ask the store if they'll swap out the pad to see if it still makes the noise. If not, maybe I'll buy the blued Lite model. By the way, he said that Tikka stopped making the Superlight in 2017 and the rifle must have been old inventory. Maybe they used different recoil pads four years ago.
What store are you going to? If it is a T3 superlight then sure, the T3x came out in 2017. Tikka still offers a superlite and has through cabelas and sportsmans for years. Just my .02 cents but if it is an old stock rifle, see if they will discount it (sportsmans still has pricing on old t3 models on their site) then replace the pad or stock. Depending on the store, make sure it isnt a used rifle that was returned and relisted as new inventory.

OP
A
If you don't mind blued I'd just get that one and save some $ compared to the stainless. I really like the look of my stainless but I'm really not sure if you get any practical advantages going stainless>blued. But now I'm kind of out of my league so someone with more experience with rifles may chime in on that.
I did notice a difference in weight between the Superlite and the Lite and in my opinion, it's a nicer looking rifle, but maybe it's not worth the price difference with a defective recoil pad. Thanks for posting!

OP
A
What store are you going to? If it is a T3 superlight then sure, the T3x came out in 2017. Tikka still offers a superlite and has through cabelas and sportsmans for years. Just my .02 cents but if it is an old stock rifle, see if they will discount it (sportsmans still has pricing on old t3 models on their site) then replace the pad or stock. Depending on the store, make sure it isnt a used rifle that was returned and relisted as new inventory.
SW is where I went. According to the guy at Beretta, they stopped making them in 2017. According to SW's website it's a store exclusive. When asked if they could order me another one, they said they didn't have anymore in inventory. I'm going to ask them if the rifle was a return and inquire about a discount. If they won't budge, I'm probably not going to take it and get my money back. A new recoil pad is no big deal but a new stock is a lot more. Thanks for the suggestions!

Spoonbill

WKR
SW is where I went. According to the guy at Beretta, they stopped making them in 2017. According to SW's website it's a store exclusive. When asked if they could order me another one, they said they didn't have anymore in inventory. I'm going to ask them if the rifle was a return and inquire about a discount. If they won't budge, I'm probably not going to take it and get my money back. A new recoil pad is no big deal but a new stock is a lot more. Thanks for the suggestions!
The superlite is exclusive to sportsmans and basspro/cabelas. If you have already bought the rifle, try tightening the recoil pad.

OP
A
The superlite is exclusive to sportsmans and basspro/cabelas. If you have already bought the rifle, try tightening the recoil pad.
The salesman removed the recoil pad and reinstalled it but it's still making the noise. I bought it online for in-store pickup and my CC was charged but I didn't leave the store with the rifle. I was hoping SW could help, but they said I'd have to send it back to the manufacturer. I called the manufacturer and they said I'd have to send it to them because it could be the action screws, the stock, the pad, etc. Thanks!

The salesman removed the recoil pad and reinstalled it but it's still making the noise. I bought it online for in-store pickup and my CC was charged but I didn't leave the store with the rifle. I was hoping SW could help, but they said I'd have to send it back to the manufacturer. I called the manufacturer and they said I'd have to send it to them because it could be the action screws, the stock, the pad, etc. Thanks!
I would’ve done my damnedist to get my money back on that deal. I’m not sure how they can bill your credit card if you haven’t taken possession of the rifle.

The Beretta guy is clueless. Beretta doesn’t make the rifles they are just the importer. I’ve bought 2 T3X rifles in the last 2-2.5 years. 1 from Cabelas in late 2018 and 1 from SW In late 2019. Good luck

Replace it with a Sims - I have on all my Tikka's - 40 bucks and five minutes to swap out. Stock pads on Tikkas are very hard.

OP
A
I would’ve done my damnedist to get my money back on that deal. I’m not sure how they can bill your credit card if you haven’t taken possession of the rifle.

The Beretta guy is clueless. Beretta doesn’t make the rifles they are just the importer. I’ve bought 2 T3X rifles in the last 2-2.5 years. 1 from Cabelas in late 2018 and 1 from SW In late 2019. Good luck
I'm going to go back to the store later this week and sort it out. Today, I talked to another rep and was told that it could be a spacer that is broken. I also found out that the rifle was made in 2021, so you're right about the guy being clueless. Thanks!

Hello. I just wanted to say I had this exact same problem and it was really ticking me off but I had a good look at it today and solved the problem. I don't know if my problem was exactly the same as yours but when I would put any pressure on the recoil pad, either pulling it hard against my shoulder (as if to simulate recoil) or just pushing on it with my palm, it made a clicking sound.
After taking the recoil pad off and inspecting it, I noticed there was a little lip on the inner part of the buttstock. If I pushed my fingernail against it, it would click. I also noticed there was a bit of plastic protruding from the recoil pad that meets that area. So when pressure was put there, they would rub and then click as it moves past that lip.
Ok so to fix that problem, (first I removed the screws from the recoil pad) I took out my victorinox swiss army knife and used the small blade and just shaved a little bit of the 90 degree edge off on both sides. I used my thumb of the opposite hand to push and guide it. I didn't shave all the way around the recoil pad just in the middle areas. After I finished, I held the pad up to the stock and pushed it and there was no more sound. I screwed it back on and slammed it against my shoulder a few times and sure enough no more sound. I hope that solves your problem. Simple and free.

Image 1 and 2 show the lip inside the buttstock.
Image 3 shows the plastic with the 90 degree edge protruding from the recoil pad that contacts and clicks against that lip.
Image 4 is after I shaved off a sliver.
Image 5 is an example of a sliver.
That was enough to fix the problem.

Attachments

• IMG_3066a.jpg
    IMG_3066a.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3071a.jpg
    IMG_3071a.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3073.JPG
    IMG_3073.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3075.JPG
    IMG_3075.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3077.JPG
    IMG_3077.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 21
OP
A
Thanks for taking the time to post your experience regarding the noise and your fix for the recoil pad. I figured it was the recoil pad but the manufacturer couldn't confirm it. I ended up refusing the rifle and am waiting on another one, but who knows when it will arrive. If I have the problem again with the recoil pad, I'm going to try your modification. I'm sure we are not the only ones who have had this issue, and your fix will be of help to others. Thanks again! Have a good one!