Is your hunting spot affected by fire?

Swayze

FNG
Has anyone had experience with these types of closures in the past? Only been out here for a few years and fortunately have not been impacted before. The area I have been scouting and hunting archery isn’t very close to any fires so my hope is we get clearance before general season opener.

Tobias

FNG
Has anyone had experience with these types of closures in the past? Only been out here for a few years and fortunately have not been impacted before. The area I have been scouting and hunting archery isn’t very close to any fires so my hope is we get clearance before general season opener.

It has never happened on this scale. Considering that it’s not even peak fire season yet, I don’t imagine them opening the forests unless the weather changes drastically for the better. They’re stretched too thin and the risk is too high.

I hunt a private parcel that my buddy owns that’s right in the middle of the August complex. We know his property burned but are still waiting to hear if he lost his cabin also. Feel terrible for him as it has been in his family for a long time and all the work they put into the place. The hunting will come back though.

I kind of put all my eggs in hunting that basket this year since I am still trying to recover from a serious medical issue and am not physically able to do my normal hiking around. Even if they open up some areas by the end of rifle I’m not sure I’ll be able to go. Hope at least some of you have some sort of success toward the end of the season

I was planning on hunting the Mono Hot Springs area in D7 but that went out the window. Now i am considering hiking in from the Eastern Sierra side from the Rock Creek Lake area. Anyone have any luck from that side?

OP
E
I hunt a private parcel that my buddy owns that’s right in the middle of the August complex. We know his property burned but are still waiting to hear if he lost his cabin also. Feel terrible for him as it has been in his family for a long time and all the work they put into the place. The hunting will come back though.

I kind of put all my eggs in hunting that basket this year since I am still trying to recover from a serious medical issue and am not physically able to do my normal hiking around. Even if they open up some areas by the end of rifle I’m not sure I’ll be able to go. Hope at least some of you have some sort of success toward the end of the season

are you talking about Henthorne?

Spikeman

FNG
WA fires are burning up some of my hunting area's. Hopefully the fires are out by late October

Almost got an A zone tag this year as my second. Now I will probably eat both B zone tags...

WKR

WKR
Well They extended the national forest closures until the 21st.
There goes opening day for my C zone tag.
I'm getting kinda anxious and my freezer is almost empty.
I mean duck season is right around the corner but I need some backstrap in my life.

The forest closures sure have me frustrated. This year has been pretty brutal! California BLM land is going to be packed!

dwent

FNG
Not holding my breath that the smoke will clear out of the Southern Oregon Cascades by thurs/fri. I have the high cascades tag, but I may end up just hunting the general rifle season now.

cjdewese

WKR
Fires are definitely making things more difficult. Was fortunate enough to fill my 1st tag on opening day. Definitely didn't expect it to be shut down 2 days later but patiently waiting for it to open back up to try and sneak in another archery buck before rifle opens up in my area. Would have 6 days if it opens up on the 22nd...

Last edited:
Nothing like this has happened to the west side of Oregon in semi recent history.

Warmsy

WKR
The forest closures sure have me frustrated. This year has been pretty brutal! California BLM land is going to be packed!

I'm worried about BLM being packed...I pretty much only have Cow Mountain to hunt, and had two rounds fly over my head two weeks ago. I don't even feel like going out there tomorrow night.

cjdewese

WKR
I'm worried about BLM being packed...I pretty much only have Cow Mountain to hunt, and had two rounds fly over my head two weeks ago. I don't even feel like going out there tomorrow night.
Same here, been trying to weigh the pros and cons to trying to figure it out on BLM land with no scouting ahead of the time. BLM is going to be a cluster until things open back up, if they do.