ISO hunting partner archery CO units 371

Rarumrill

FNG
I'm an archery hunter who lives in Silverthorne CO. Its only on my second season with a bow but I know the unit well as I have been backpacking through the gore for years. I'm trying to meet more backpack hunters in the area as basically zero of my friends hunt. I have no problem hiking all day and feel I have a good eye locating elk and mule deer pockets within the range. If you are interested let me know, happy hunting.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_20190909_065036.jpg
    IMG_20190909_065036.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 164

Deadfall

WKR
I've hunted round there for years. My dad uncles started in that area in late 70's. Cut my teeth out by the mill. Still hunt that area when I go to colorado. I would be down if i could make plans. Havent been able to get there for a couple years. Only time I could possibly make it down there is opening week.

JonC

FNG
I wouldn't mind meeting up some time this summer. I'm in the Boulder area, but I spent a bunch of time archery season up in the Gore range.

I'm in the Denver area and I'd be interested in doings some scouting in the summer and/or I'd be happy to pack some meat out. I pulled my first (and only) cow out of officers gulch a couple years back and am considering it again, but I only rifle hunt, so I'd likely be a bit of a liability on a bow hunt...

xziang

WKR
I have been hitting that area for 4-5 years lately. (Nothing killed yet) You are very lucky to be minutes away from glassing some public spots that occasionally hold elk. Lately now though I onky get a week to get out. Previousky would get out for 4 days openjng weekend and then a week during sept. (9hrs away)

OP
R

Rarumrill

FNG
I've hunted round there for years. My dad uncles started in that area in late 70's. Cut my teeth out by the mill. Still hunt that area when I go to colorado. I would be down if i could make plans. Havent been able to get there for a couple years. Only time I could possibly make it down there is opening week.

Hey,

So I have been time scouting units 37 and 28 also, have you spent anytime hunting them? I have been watching the herd wintering on 37 for the past few days. Man there are a lot of elk and muleys out there right now! I can't wait to find them again in the high country come September. Have you applied for your tags yet?

OP
R

Rarumrill

FNG
I have been hitting that area for 4-5 years lately. (Nothing killed yet) You are very lucky to be minutes away from glassing some public spots that occasionally hold elk. Lately now though I onky get a week to get out. Previousky would get out for 4 days openjng weekend and then a week during sept. (9hrs away)

Yeah I'm pretty grateful where I live, considering I have been out the last few days glassing a herd of over 200 elk and at least 100 mule deer wintering north of town. So many! When do you plan on getting out this season? I plan on spending a lot of time in the unit (and 37 and 28) this summer scouting and am interested in your findings on the area. After watching the last few days I am stoked for September, just gotta survive until then!

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200401_175144.jpg
    MVIMG_20200401_175144.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20200330_143402.jpg
    IMG_20200330_143402.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20200330_143929.jpg
    IMG_20200330_143929.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 120
OP
R

Rarumrill

FNG
I'm in the Denver area and I'd be interested in doings some scouting in the summer and/or I'd be happy to pack some meat out. I pulled my first (and only) cow out of officers gulch a couple years back and am considering it again, but I only rifle hunt, so I'd likely be a bit of a liability on a bow hunt...

I've wondered if people have had success in officers gulch, I have seen a lot of sign up there. I plan on rifle hunting this season also as to up my odds of success. Have you applied for your tags yet? I'm welcome to meet up this summer and do some scouting. I know some good honey holes, they are just deep in the range so being in tip top shape is a must. Have you spent any time hunting in units 28 or 37?

OP
R

Rarumrill

FNG
I wouldn't mind meeting up some time this summer. I'm in the Boulder area, but I spent a bunch of time archery season up in the Gore range.
Have you had much success? How much time do you think you will be getting after it this September? I plan on spending a good amount of time in the woods this season. After all this Covid shit, I really just want to have a full freezer for security. I have been watching the herd for the past few days on their wintering grounds north of town, looks healthy!

I've wondered if people have had success in officers gulch, I have seen a lot of sign up there. I plan on rifle hunting this season also as to up my odds of success. Have you applied for your tags yet? I'm welcome to meet up this summer and do some scouting. I know some good honey holes, they are just deep in the range so being in tip top shape is a must. Have you spent any time hunting in units 28 or 37?

It's a longer story, but basically it was my first time out in Colorado and I was sitting up on the ridge across the canyon from Wheeler lake on opening day. When the sun came up and people started shooting near Wheeler (probably 6-10 trucks at the trail head) they pushed everything towards me. If I do it again I'll like try to get a couple canyons further over to look for bulls.

My last few years have been exploring all over, I was up in Zirkel one year, last year I tried some RFW out near Craig. Still figuring out big game hunting in general, I grew up waterfowl hunting - turns out it's a bit different. This year I'm getting elk points, so I'll see what's available for the second draw and/or do an OTC tag. I'm dithering between staying close to Denver with 371/39 or heading back over towards Craig for unit 3,4,5 etc. It'll also depend on how successful my deer/pronghorn draws to make the timing all work out.

Deadfall

WKR
Hey,

So I have been time scouting units 37 and 28 also, have you spent anytime hunting them? I have been watching the herd wintering on 37 for the past few days. Man there are a lot of elk and muleys out there right now! I can't wait to find them again in the high country come September. Have you applied for your tags yet?
Yes I've hunted both those units. They are both good. Obviously I'm not going into depth on here about them. I dont put in for tags. I hunt archery only. And only OTC tags. I Dont bother putting in for special units. My experience....I'm gonna stop there, message me if you want more information.
I guide full time here in montana. If I make it down there. It's the first or second week of the season.

StillBald

FNG
Resurrecting an old post, but I have a cousin in Heeney so I was eyeballing the units around there when I found your post. Unfortunately my cousin doesn't hunt, so I was debating if I wanted to be that close to Denver/I-70 or hit the SW part of the state again.

This will also be my second season archery hunting elk. Back packed way into the West Elk Wilderness last year and came to full draw on two bulls at sub-20 yards (one was questionable if he was legal, I wasn't comfortable with the shot on the other) and called a decent one into 4 yards out (I should have closed the deal, but I definitely learned a bit).

I don't live in CO anymore, but the deal with the missus was that if we moved, I still get to come out elk hunting every year. If you're interested in meeting up, let me know. I'm 33 and can hike all day. My calling is decent (well, they seem to always respond and come in, but in the rut they'd probably respond to anything!) and I've been bowhunting deer for 20 years-- but again, it's my second elk season, so I'm still a bit green.

Anyone have any thoughts as to antler growth in Northern Colorado this year? I have a Unit 4 tag, curious how their weather has been

idguide

FNG
Resurrecting an old post, but I have a cousin in Heeney so I was eyeballing the units around there when I found your post. Unfortunately my cousin doesn't hunt, so I was debating if I wanted to be that close to Denver/I-70 or hit the SW part of the state again.

This will also be my second season archery hunting elk. Back packed way into the West Elk Wilderness last year and came to full draw on two bulls at sub-20 yards (one was questionable if he was legal, I wasn't comfortable with the shot on the other) and called a decent one into 4 yards out (I should have closed the deal, but I definitely learned a bit).

I don't live in CO anymore, but the deal with the missus was that if we moved, I still get to come out elk hunting every year. If you're interested in meeting up, let me know. I'm 33 and can hike all day. My calling is decent (well, they seem to always respond and come in, but in the rut they'd probably respond to anything!) and I've been bowhunting deer for 20 years-- but again, it's my second elk season, so I'm still a bit green.
Might have to hit u up about understanding the terrain in west elk. Planning on going out next yr.

dxbernie

FNG
I'm an archery hunter who lives in Silverthorne CO. Its only on my second season with a bow but I know the unit well as I have been backpacking through the gore for years. I'm trying to meet more backpack hunters in the area as basically zero of my friends hunt. I have no problem hiking all day and feel I have a good eye locating elk and mule deer pockets within the range. If you are interested let me know, happy hunting.

Rob
Did you ever connect with anyone or have any success?

Dave

OP
R

Rarumrill

FNG
Yeah I met up with one guy, but unfortunately he couldn't hang. Too much elevation change for his legs. This coming season will be a bit dumbed down for me, as my wife is due in late August. I am probably going to focus on late season rifle tags and maybe an OTC archery tag if I feel I have time.

Do you live in Summit? Do you hunt these units (371, 37, 28)? I had a great archery and ok first rifle season in 371, lots of bulls but also hunters. Whats your plan for tags this season?

-Rob

Hey there I know Im really late to this forum but just wondering if you were still considering hunting partner in your area? My fiance and I hunted that unit this last year and fell in love with it, it's a new unit to us we are backpackers and only hunt archery. We have hunted pretty much all over Colorado, we now reside in Southern Colorado where I am most familiar with as far as public lands. We're not shy of traveling and I plan on heading that way this coming season. I'm always looking for a good hunting partner and backpack buddy so if you're interested hit us up and God bless you and your family!

bradywk

FNG
Also just moved to Summit, younger, good shape, definitely looking to hike around and do some archery. Let me know if you're still in town and looking to hunt / scout.

JKOHL37

FNG
This is my third year with a bow, 1st year hunting in Colorado. Going for muleys. I've done 3 or 4 backpacking trips in the gore over the past couple years. Will be doing 2-3 scouting trips this summer.

If anyone on this thread is interesting in meeting up this year, my email is [email protected]. (too new to PM)

Rob
Just drew a mule deer archery tag for that 371/37/18/28 area. Would love to pick your brain about it.