ISO Isobutane fuel canisters

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
Broke down and bought an MSR windburner stove for an upcoming hunting trip, and now I'm looking for fuel canisters. Any leads as to what is the best in semi cold temps and where can they be purchased on the cheap? Looking for 4-8 8oz canisters. A lot of good reviews for MSR Isobutane especially for cold weather.

Thanks in advance,

Owenst7

WKR
Look up adventures in stoving. You want something with the highest percentage of propane and little to no n-butane. MSR is the best product I can find where I'm at. Snow Peak is also pretty good. Jetboil, Coleman, and Primus score low.

I typically switch to white gas if it gets below the 20s. There's ways to stretch it lower, but white gas is so much more reliable.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've personally found the MSR more reliable than the Coleman. I've had two cylinder that were hard to keep burning maybe it was more elevation than temps. I've never had an issue with the msr iso mix. I think they are different mixtures. I run the Coleman a bunch in the summer it's a cheaper and way easier for me to get

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
I've personally found the MSR more reliable than the Coleman. I've had two cylinder that were hard to keep burning maybe it was more elevation than temps. I've never had an issue with the msr iso mix. I think they are different mixtures. I run the Coleman a bunch in the summer it's a cheaper and way easier for me to get

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It's because the propane has a higher vapor pressure and burns off first. Butane and especially n-butane has a low vapor pressure even down in the 40s and doesn't give you much coming out of the valve. The higher the propane content and the less n-butane the better.

Elevation doesn't effect anything, just temperature.

rayporter

WKR
insulate the canister from the ground in cold weather and warm it first. keep it in your sleeping bag or in your pocket before use.

warm water may help also. if it is really cold any water will be above freezing.