Isobutane & Fairbanks

Last year (2020) fuel canisters were an issue due to the pandemic. Not sure about this year. I'm checking here to see if someone in the Fairbanks region might be able to help me out. Basically I'd like to make arrangements for 6-8 canisters (8 oz size) of either MSR or Primus fuel to be purchased, boxed and dropped off at my hotel in town. I'll be arriving on Sept 8. Obviously I'm concerned about arriving and finding little or no fuel available, hence this favor. The fuel brands are specific.

Thanks.

Kevin

Buckshotaz

Lil-Rokslider
Vern,

I you could please let me also know of the availability, as I will also be getting into Fairbanks on the 8th and will be needing fuel.

mooster

WKR
FAI Sportsman's had a huge supply last year around labor day prior to moose season. I was assuming same this year, but sent an email to my local contact asking them to check also.

Trial153

WKR
We bought it online about two weeks before and had store pick up waiting for us at Sportmens Warehouse. That said it wasn’t needed as the shelves were full last August. No telling what it looks like now

Dangit Kevin, now you've given me one more thing to fret over! LOL.

Awesome to see several folks jump in to help you out. That's what this place is all about!

OP
Kevin Dill
:) I figured I'd create a cottage industry by posting this up.

Last year at this time REI was o-u-t of isobutane almost everywhere. Danged hoarders and preppers grabbed it. Anyway....seemed wise not to assume anything going into the hunt this year.

I believe I'm all set now. Many thanks to a very good friend!

mooster

WKR
Per my FAI friends in response, re shortage…”.Not that I know of. We’ve seen it in Sportsmans, Fred Meyer, Walmart and frontier outfitters so should be fine.”

OP
Kevin Dill
I'd say the likelihood of stores having canisters is quite good...just not good enough for me to be assured of it come September. I sincerely hope everyone who needs it is able to get it. Reminds of a year when my hunting partner waited until we got to town before buying his Mountain House. Every usual place was either low or out of it. We ran all over town trying to find enough for him. That had never happened before and nobody could explain it.

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Kevin,
I was sweating the same thing last year, turned out there was a good supply of Primus canisters at Sportsman’s. You never know what this year will bring. If fuel is an issue I’ll have my stove. Not as efficient or convenient, but it will suffice.

VernAK

WKR
I checked out most FBX stores today except REI.

Lotsa isobutane but not many in 8oz...Lotsa 16oz

Frontier Sports has Primus 16oz
Sportsmans Warehouse has Primus and MSR 16oz
Fred Meyers has Coleman and Sterno mostly 16oz but some 8oz.....

If staying at Sophie's, FM is across the street....also another good hotel across Airport Way from Fred Meyers.

There seems to be a good inventory of fuel on the shelves but Sheep and caribou hunters haven't started for the bush yet.

Fred Meyers also had 20% off on Mountain House this week......a bucket of 12 pouches was $88 after discount.

Devilfish

FNG
Sportsman's Warehouse should be your go to for what you're looking for. They'll also beat the competitors prices by 5%. Something to keep in mind for any purchases from Sportsman's.

kaboku68

WKR
We have a complete room full of it in both Primus and MSR 8oz. The young ones don't seem to stock the isobutane as quickly and I have been at the homestead in KL. I will make sure it is stocked tomorrow.

OP
Kevin Dill
Gentlemen abound! You guys are completely what makes this a cool place. Seriously....I'd like to buy the world a Coke right now.

It's a world of hurdles today. Things we have taken for granted are sometimes different or not there. I'm pretty sure Russian hackers would love to disrupt us again and profit from the crime. I'm naturally a guy who thinks in terms of solving potential problems before they show up. Probably comes from owning a business, a farm, and dealing with the variables. A moose hunt into the bush has enough built-in variables to keep me occupied. I don't like to be running around town searching for things in short supply....it's not a great experience.

Thank you all.