Isobutane & Fairbanks

I checked out most FBX stores today except REI.

Lotsa isobutane but not many in 8oz...Lotsa 16oz

Frontier Sports has Primus 16oz
Sportsmans Warehouse has Primus and MSR 16oz
Fred Meyers has Coleman and Sterno mostly 16oz but some 8oz.....

If staying at Sophie's, FM is across the street....also another good hotel across Airport Way from Fred Meyers.

There seems to be a good inventory of fuel on the shelves but Sheep and caribou hunters haven't started for the bush yet.

Fred Meyers also had 20% off on Mountain House this week......a bucket of 12 pouches was $88 after discount.

We must have bought the last of the 8oz canisters at Sportsmans before you got there Vern.

VernAK

WKR
Nick,

I have a hunch you patrol those places often while we Deltoids are limited to an occasional search of our local Granite View Sports......an excellant little shop BTW .

And I forgot Prospector......kinda out of the way for traveling hunters.

Good Luck in you hunts!

Nick,

I have a hunch you patrol those places often while we Deltoids are limited to an occasional search of our local Granite View Sports......an excellant little shop BTW .

And I forgot Prospector......kinda out of the way for traveling hunters.

Good Luck in you hunts!

At least you guys have ammo and powder down in Delta, good luck finding any of that in Fairbanks!

Sportsman's Warehouse should be your go to for what you're looking for. They'll also beat the competitors prices by 5%. Something to keep in mind for any purchases from Sportsman's.
That’s what the signs say, but I was trying to get a price match on a cabelas price and was told that since it’s “on sale” they can’t match the price… and that was from the manager. What’s the point of even advertising price matching then? I would understand if it was amazon(who they claim to match as well) or some other online only retailer.

I ended up ordering it from cabelas online while they were ringing up my other items.

kaboku68

WKR
I will get you that price. Roksliders. Tell me what you need and I will set up a couple of baskets in the cart with your names on them. Our manager is young( 7th manager in 4 years) but I have been there for a while. Let me know what you need. We are getting lots of inventory but it is moving at a breakneck pace. We generally have most things in stock but the hired help doesn't always know how to restock. I just had to get down to Chitina at least one time this summer.

Two things that we are short of are the 1lb coleman propane units and bear spray of all types.

JPD350

WKR
Just curious as to why no one wants Jetboil isobutane canisters? Can't say I have ever had or heard of an issue with them.

OP
Kevin Dill
I have no clue on what makes certain brands of canisters okay (to fly) and some not. My pilot specifically said only MSR or Primus for sure...and check with him on others. My best guess is it might be the percentages of butane and propane in a given canister.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I ship with a local air freight shipper. They require the isobutane cannister to have a DOT approval stamped on the bottom of the cannister to ship, as well as some other things that I have to do that they require.

The original Jetboil cannisters did not have a DOT approval stamped on the bottom, so they were a no-go with my shipper...period. MSR cannisters did, so they have been allowed by my shipper. I suspect that transporters into the field are using that same criteria, and perhaps simply translating it to "no Jetboil".

Not sure the specific requirements needed for a manufacturer to obtain the DOT approval on the cannister...contents or cannister construction or both...my guess is the cannister construction, although they look similar to the eye.

VernAK

WKR
As with so many things, I suspect most or all of these various brands are put out by one or two manufacturers.
At least the canisters are similar except for the paint and label.

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen plenty lately. Give me a shout if you end up in a bind, although I'll be in and out of town chasing moose myself.

Last edited: