Isobutane VS butane propane mix.

grfox92

WKR
So Walmart sells Coleman Butane / propane mix in the same style canisters as the isobutane fuel that we all burn in our backpacking stoves.

I've searched a bunch and haven't found the answers. I figured someone here knows.

What's the difference in terms of efficiency. Are they interchange in my isobutane pocket stove? If they are, does one perform better then the other?

I've only ever seen anyone burn Isobutane. What's the deal with this butane / propane mix?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
Isobutane will work better in colder temps than butane. For general use like summer they’d be fine but mby not when it gets cold.

AdamLewis

FNG
Do they list the propane quantity?

It varies by manufacturer but the canisters most of us call Isobutane contain a blend of Isobutane, Propane, and n-Butane, in that order. I think MSR has stated in the past that theirs are ~20% propane and 80% Isobutane, though the Isobutane specs I am familiar with allow single digit percentages of n-Butane so probably some of it in there.

Generally they don't go much higher than 20% Propane in the lightweight canisters because the vapor pressure would be too high. Propane boils lower at the others (-44F) so it will perform in gas stoves at the lowest temps. Iso is next at 11F and n-Butane at 30F.

They'll all burn in your stove fine and there is no meaningful difference in thermal content so no difference in "efficiency". If you are running your stove at low temps the higher the Propane the better, but it has to be low enough to not blow up a lightweight canister from vapor pressure.

BBob

WKR
Coleman says 70% Butane and 30% Propane. Still a no go in the cold in my book. I'd use someone else's IsoB Propane canisters in the cold. There were also some reports at one time that said some stoves wouldn't work with the Coleman canisters at all due to a difference in the valve height. Coleman reportedly had their own spec and contracted with a French company to build them or at least they did early on. Most everyone else reportedly has used an asian manufacturer for the canisters.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Sounds like I'll just stick to the JetBoil and MSR canisters for hunting.

I might try a Coleman canister for when I make coffee at work over the winter and at base camp.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
You can get an adapter to burn straight propane for that iso-butane stove...you will also need a stand for the 1# propane canister. I have found that propane burns better when it is cold....below freezing.

IMG_5783.JPG

IMG_5784.JPG

All those canisters contain a mixture of propane, n-butane, and isobutane. There's no meaningful difference in "efficiency" per se, but the blends with higher propane content (and lower isobutane/n-butane content) will perform better (i.e., maintain more consistent fuel flow) in cold conditions (below ≈20°F) due to propane's lower boiling temperature.

BBob

WKR
All those canisters contain a mixture of propane, n-butane, and isobutane.
Coleman sells an exception to that. They sell a canister that is a Butane Propane (70/30) mix with no Isobutane at all in it.

Attachments

• Coleman Butane Propane Canister.JPG
    Coleman Butane Propane Canister.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Canister Fuel Types.JPG
    Canister Fuel Types.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 14