Issues with buckstalker northwest magnum

bachunt

FNG
Picked up the NW magnum recently. Have tried it with shuetzen and CCI caps but neither will ignite on the first strike. Have cleaned the nipple, no effect. I sharpened the firing pin but that may have been a mistake. Now the caps won’t go off at all even after 3 strikes but the cap itself is breaking open on the nipple. Not sure how the caps could break open and not ignite. I’m also seating them properly from what I can tell. Any advice? Contacting traditions tomorrow to see if they have any ideas, but it looks like this model has had issues for 10 years and they still haven’t fixed it. Pretty disappointed I didn’t do my research and they didn’t fix their product.

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm considering one of these for my first ML. Did you get the issue resolved?

RMP

FNG
I have a Traditions Pursuit NW Magnum XT.

If you are using any recently manufactured CCI musket caps, then you are using their "reenactor" caps., also labeled "Multiple Use." These are very, very weak caps. I have a hard time lighting any BP substitutes with them.

Schuetzen musket caps, on the other hand, are much more robust and a lot hotter. My rifle closes easily on a CCI, but there is so much compound in the Schuetzen that it doesn't go on the nipple as far and there is contact with the breech face closing the action. In my rifle, Schuetzens will reliably light 777 pellets.

I don't understand that you mean by "sharpened the firing pin." It's not supposed to be sharp, it's supposed to strike the cap flat. The pin in the Buck Stalker (and my rifle as well) is driven into the cap by the hammer at a downward angle. The end of the firing pin is flat and rectagular, but angled, so that when it is driven down at an angle, the end hits flat on the cap. Your pin should be leaving marks like this on the cap:

EeOzARB.jpg

If you've altered the striking area on the end of the pin, you need a new pin.

Last edited: